• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Jersey school bus crash

How many of those 65 year old rv drivers are going to try to push for 42 hrs. straight time on the road, to make it to their destination, while trying to haul that extra 10,000 lbs?
I don't know ANY CDL holder that will do that either. Those days are over. Brokers won't even book loads that don't comply with the ELD laws. Where do you get your info?

not many that's for the pro's. the problem is not how many hrs they drive. the problem is they are driving they really don't understand. they only have to drive a mile and they could kill someone. if they had to have training and lic and weight permits to drive them then you would be hiring a pro to drive them around.

How many of those 65 year old rv drivers are going to try to push for 42 hrs. straight time on the road, to make it to their destination, while trying to haul that extra 10,000 lbs?
CDL holders are required to take a MANDATORY DOT physical every 2 years. That includes blood pressure, hearing, vision and a multitude of other tests to ensure that we are fit to be on the nation's highways. What about that 65 and up RV driver. Who is checking him/her out? NOBODY!!

I've spent plenty of time with truckers. Lost my neighbor because he was going over the road, trying to fudge the laws to make it to destinations. Od'd on energy drinks, alcohol, and his meds, and had a heart attack. He was staying up 30 plus hours at a time. As far as weight limits, I have a relative that hauls trash over to Ks every now and then. Kdot is all the time pulling people over for excessive weight.

Farmers end up pushing quite a few hours as well hauling their grain

I've spent plenty of time with truckers. Lost my neighbor because he was going over the road, trying to fudge the laws to make it to destinations. Od'd on energy drinks, alcohol, and his meds, and had a heart attack. He was staying up 30 plus hours at a time. As far as weight limits, I have a relative that hauls trash over to Ks every now and then. Kdot is all the time pulling people over for excessive weight.

Farmers end up pushing quite a few hours as well hauling their grain
Sounds like your neighbor was a drug addict/alcoholic. I get tested constantly. I NEVER break the laws and run over my clock. My life, house and livelihood depends on it.

Drug addict- no
Alcoholic- yes

He was popping those little energy bottles by the case, trying to make his runs. However, on one of his days off, he was still wired, got to drinking with a friend, and didn't wake up the next day.

so sad that you lost your friend that way. but now with the logs being electronic and a lot of different laws in place it should not be so bad. i can say that if he was owner/ operator and running at a cheaper rate that's way he was pushing so hard. its not a easy life but sometimes we make it worse than it should be. i have been involved with federal d.o.t and state d.o.t and yes can be a pain in the butt. rewards are if you pass then they don't mess with you as bad because they put a sticker on the truck letting all law enforcement that you have been inspected and passed. for the private owner of one of these big motor homes that weigh and operate just like a truck no rules and zero inspection needed or done. i can tell you that the commercial coach and school bus takes second place to motor homes and transit. why is that because of the money. trucks are number one because so many of them.

farmers have some different rules but when it comes to the highway they have to follow the trucking rules. this is way motor homes need to be under the same rules. to be safe on the road

As of today, agriculture and livestock are still exempt from some of the ELD mandates. That is probably going to change unless Trump reverses some of O'Dumbass' regulations.

Auto Transport Service
Back