• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not the official weather thread.....

I don't see extremely cold winters here but I've visited -40 places a few times. Dress warmly and hope to get back inside as soon as possible. :)
At the same time, I'll watch a tv show that takes place somewhere balmy, like L.A. in summer and I'll see people wearing a shirt and a jacket in temperatures where everyone around here would feel too hot with a t-shirt or no shirt.
Went to the grocery store around 11am and there were some wearing jackets (me included) and some wearing shorts and T-shirts. Wasn't that cool but after yesterday's high 70's temps, it felt pretty cool out. Temp was in the 50's...

I went to the garage this morning and my wife had the clothes dryer going. There was a layer of moisture all over my car. Apparently there is a slight leak in the exhaust tube, got to get to that. High here today was 83. Just checked the humidity and it’s 86%.

The thing with Mexico, and probably with where you are at is the humidity. It makes cold seem colder and hot seem hotter. Here it’s dry. So dry that I get nosebleeds pretty much all winter and my hands are cracked and bleeding. The cold literally makes the humidity fall out of the air. When I do drywall and paint work it is worse as that occupation dries your hands out anyway. At minus forty there is no humidity in the air at all. Paint and drywall mud dry very quickly. But because it’s a dry cold you can dress for it. I have a bunch of Army surplus extreme cold weather parkas that I wear. When you can find them they are cheap; I generally spend around sixty Canadian dollars on one. A civvy parka of equal quality (a Canada Goose or rare Woods) would be over a thousand bucks. The best one is a post war Swedish army parka. It‘s knee length and I’m six foot two. Tent canvas outside with unsheared sheepskin inside. Totally wind proof. Weighs a ton, though. I bought it in Texas of all places, decades ago. It’s covered in Caribou blood from hunting in minus fifty two, without the windchill. It would draw strange looks in the south but it goes unnoticed up here where some businesses have signs on the door that say to take your bloody hunting clothes off before entering the building. I inadvertently bled all over a new Toyota while car shopping one time… shot a deer on the way into town.

Don’t tell my wife about those parkas. A few years ago, we were traveling through your area in May and she went to a store dressed for winter. There were a lot of shorts and t shirts and she was a bit overdressed.

It’s a balmy 7 outside here right now. Windchill to -20. Supposed to drop below 0 tonight. Took time last week to dig out the extra heaters, wrap up the outside faucets on the house and test all the antifreeze in our vehicles. Also changed the furnace filter so it can operate the best it can. Even this weather is unusually cold for our area. Thanks global warming :thumbsup:

IMG_8762.png

It’s a balmy 7 outside here right now. Windchill to -20. Supposed to drop below 0 tonight. Took time last week to dig out the extra heaters, wrap up the outside faucets on the house and test all the antifreeze in our vehicles. Also changed the furnace filter so it can operate the best it can. Even this weather is unusually cold for our area. Thanks global warming :thumbsup:

View attachment 1589740
87 in West Palm today!

83 here today and is supposed to be hotter tomorrow!! Dang....shorts only weather and I'm doing that but it's supposed to be in the mid 50's on Saturday. Gonna feel like it's mid 40's after today and tomorrow. Average highs are supposed to be in the mid 60's here this time of year. At least the humidity dropped to the low 70's from 80%.
Know what ya mean, Cranky.
I lived in the Houston area
for 10 years. Thank God for
AC and heaters.
Supposed to be 9 deg here
Monday/Tuesday lows in
the southwest.

Know what ya mean, Cranky.
I lived in the Houston area
for 10 years. Thank God for
AC and heaters.
Supposed to be 9 deg here
Monday/Tuesday lows in
the southwest.
I lived within the Houston city limits for 11 years and it's been sooo nice to be out of that freaking town. Been at my 'new' place for going on 40 years and it was a very good move. Houston city services absolutely suck.

I certainly can't complain, mid January and this is only my 3rd plow! Usually I've done it at least 50 times by now. 6" last night and been pouring rain since 7am.
20240113_104032.jpg

Temps dropping and the snowglobe started.. 40cm by Monday possible...back to reality. Winds to 95K today.. 55 MPH.
20240113_121636.jpg
20240113_122227.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't this type snow happen in Japan too?
It's 49F sunny in Atlantic City NJ right now (at work), I'LL TAKE IT THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! Keep that cold & white stuff where you guys are!! :lol:
Then again, this ski lift line is normally 35 feet off the ground at the Bear Valley ski resort in California. Photo from last year.
1705176576604.png

Last week's snow is gone & it's 57 degrees outside right now. Snow is predicted for Tuesday.

Just throwing this in there for guys who live where it gets cold. These hats are made by a place called Egli’s Sheep Farm. They raise the sheep and make hats and other stuff from them. Made in Canada, not overseas. They have a website. These are what the guys who work out in the real cold wear; oilfield guys, power linemen, and hunters. As far as I know they are the best you can get. Better then down filled that is useless when wet, better then nylon that gets ruined by sparks from your campfire. You can get them for inside a hard hat or not. I have three of them and when I’m hunting caribou at minus fifty three without the pussy windchill my head is not cold. The flaps come down and cover your chin and cheeks if necessary.
IMG_0334.jpeg

Unless you have an auntie or granny who can make you one out of Wolverine this is as good as it gets.
IMG_0340.png

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back