• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pump not priming

I know it's basic, but are you sure your drive shaft is engaging the pump shaft. It has a hex end, drive shaft, and so does pump shaft.

Yes I could feel the hex drop into the pump.

Here is the culprit, the gasket was indeed missing the critical hole for the oil pickup port. What a **** show…

828B89B6-4975-47F7-AA13-1220D9170416.jpeg
BC1F89C6-26D7-4C82-90EB-17DC7FCC1BED.jpeg

I had the same issue when we rebuilt my 440, crack the oil filter to where there's an air gap and prime it again. This worked on my motor.

Unless as pointed earlier gasket made wrong. I'm with the pump isn't sealed, needs a light coat of clean grease inside. Removed oil filter but did put one back on for a few hours lost prime in oil pump. Never again.

Interesting thread. I've never gone the external route so haven't encountered that gasket.

can't you just put a hole in the gasket where it belongs?

I did disassemble the pump (Mopar HV) to replaced the gaskets and inspect the pump, which looked great inside. I just pulled the oil filter and it’s bone dry. Before I remove the pump, what am I missing?

I didn't read every post, so I don't know if it's been said and you didn't say? Did you pack the pump with grease before install???? Good Luck

I didn't read every post, so I don't know if it's been said and you didn't say? Did you pack the pump with grease before install???? Good Luck

I failed to mention it, but the pump was packed with assembly lube.

Nobody local stocks a big block oil pump gasket, I’m going to cut the one I have and put everything back together. I’ll be sure to post the final outcome…

Last edited:
Edit because I'm dumb lol. Gasket goes between block and pump. Full size cut or the cut you did should be good.

Edit because I'm dumb lol. Gasket goes between block and pump. Full size cut or the cut you did should be good.

It fits the port perfectly. I smeared some tacky red chassis grease on the pump side and stuck it to the pump. Right now the pump is in place but one of the bolts is awol. Once it turns up I can torque the pump down, reinstall the filter and spin it with the prelube tool. I’m feeling pretty confident that it is going to work...

When I spun the prelube tool for about 5 seconds there was a lot of resistance. I had Mrs. Black_Sheep watch the oil light and spun it again, it went out instantly. I bolted the PS pump back on and dropped the distributor back in place. It fired right up. After setting the timing and adjusting the idle rpm I let it run up to temperature. No leaks, coolant temp stayed at 170 F and it isn’t making any strange noises.

I’m going to call it a victory!

Video is uploading to YouTube, I’ll drop it in here when it’s ready.

Thanks @threewood and @OKDart for your input, which pointed me in the right direction

image.jpg

When I spun the prelube tool for about 5 seconds there was a lot of resistance. I had Mrs. Black_Sheep watch the oil light and spun it again, it went out instantly. I bolted the PS pump back on and dropped the distributor back in place. It fired right up. After setting the timing and adjusting the idle rpm I let it run up to temperature. No leaks, coolant temp stayed at 170 F and it isn’t making any strange noises.

I’m going to call it a victory!

Video is uploading to YouTube, I’ll drop it in here when it’s ready.

Thanks @threewood and @OKDart for your input, which pointed me in the right direction

View attachment 1469898
That’s great!
This shows the importance of posting pictures, as the culprit was staring at all of us in your first pic.

Auto Transport Service
Back