• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Online "Year you were Born" questions

j-c-c-62

Local time
12:31 PM
Reaction score
Does everyone understand Year you were born questions on any topic, Like fastest car?, are at the least just data mining to target ads in your direction for more direct marketing?
I guess not, or there would not be so many, IMO.
I was online born 1911 BTW. :lol:

Any personal information is being mined.
A lot of things are exposed when you are online.
URL can be traced to your address. From there, they can find out your house information (if you own it), taxes, and other info.

Most property appraisers have that information.
The miners will then determine close to your net worth.

Bang, you're targeted.

Any personal information is being mined.
A lot of things are exposed when you are online.
URL can be traced to your address. From there, they can find out your house information (if you own it), taxes, and other info.

Most property appraisers have that information.
The miners will then determine close to your net worth.

Bang, you're targeted.
Granted, but why willingly give them your birthyear, for no real benefit to oneself, which then is a real good starting point in digging up all the rest, especially when it's done surreptitiously?

When I gave them my birth year, they told me they have no provision for "B.C." .

What "URL" can be traced to your physical address?

Your ISP provided IP address (which changes, BTW) can be traced to a general location, like the vicinity of the ISP's server/network.

For the record, "they" routinely get mine wrong by about 50-100 miles.

Your "name" can be traced to the county property appraiser's database.
That's why you're being targeted to sell your house for cash....what are you waiting for? No repairs necessary.

Last edited:
There is no running, I can find out when you crapped last and the texture. It's not brain surgery, it's screwed up.

On the advice of a friend is knowledgeable about such things - I signed on with incogni.com which is a company that scrubs your personal data from most of the data broker sites. When asked these brokers have to comply and remove all your personal info from their data bases. You can do it yourself buts it’s quite arduous to find out who they all are and then to ask them individually. I tried once and found it a pain in the *** after just a couple. So on my behalf incogni has pursued 150 data brokers and so far has had my info scrubbed from 90 of them w/the rest still to become compliant. CA passed a law last year whereby if you request these brokers to remove your data they not only must do so, but it’s now illegal for them to ever compile it again. I’ll keep incogni for a year as they will recheck again and again while you have them. It only cost $77 for a year and I thought why not? If it works well great - if not - nothing ventured nothing gained.

On the advice of a friend is knowledgeable about such things - I signed on with incogni.com which is a company that scrubs your personal data from most of the data broker sites. When asked these brokers have to comply and remove all your personal info from their data bases. You can do it yourself buts it’s quite arduous to find out who they all are and then to ask them individually. I tried once and found it a pain in the *** after just a couple. So on my behalf incogni has pursued 150 data brokers and so far has had my info scrubbed from 90 of them w/the rest still to become compliant. CA passed a law last year whereby if you request these brokers to remove your data they not only must do so, but it’s now illegal for them to ever compile it again. I’ll keep incogni for a year as they will recheck again and again while you have them. It only cost $77 for a year and I thought why not? If it works well great - if not - nothing ventured nothing gained.
So, they erase the data from just the accessible data sites, or they erase all the data period?
And how does one know any of this has really happened?
Who actually police's this industry, and are they smarter than the data companies?

Last edited:
So, they erase the data from just the accessible data sites, or the erase all the data period?
And how does one know any of this has really happened?
Who actually police's this industry, and are they smarter than the data companies?
Both public and private data brokers and you have by name. They even have an area on their site where they explain in detail how you can do it yourself. The issue there is knowing all of them and also the pia going to the effort of doing it yourself as I explained in my post. It is what it is - if you don’t want to venture a whole $77 do it yourself. All I can measure besides the reports they send me, and my dash board on their site is the dramatic drop in junk mail. No one forces you to join.

Quite a few years ago I tried one of the local "Remove me from your database" sites - the idea was it was Govt mandated to remove your data to prevent all the annoying adverts in emails and online surfing. Didn't really work....I ended up getting more junk mail for quite a while.

The worst thing you can do is sign up for so-called "Rewards Cards" at retail stores. They just pass all your info on for a small gain to themselves, and then everyone has it.

Those "1-800" numbers you dial from your cell phone keeps your number on file.
The file is "sold" to commercial buyers who are interested in selling you like products.

After I quit calling those numbers, my telemarketer calls have dropped.

What "1-800" numbers are you calling?

I can only remember calling one 800 number in the last 10 years, and it was for the cable service/repair.

Were they "976" numbers?

Now, I didn't say anything about "1-900" numbers....
But 1-800-flowers will get you listed....

To be honest , some of the data collection I do not mind.
For example our TV streams , like Pluto, net flix, Hulu, u tube, ect.
They show me shows I have interest in on the ( what's new) programing.
If I am going to get spammed at least do it with Jegs and summit adds , top gear, roadkill , old western movies and the like.

After I quit calling those numbers, my telemarketer calls have dropped.
I'm playing with fire by even typing this.....but we have been having a quiet spell on the telemarketers recently.

Normally it's a fight between me and the kids to answer the phone just to tell the person on the other end to go and f**k themselves or their sacred cow depending upon the accent. :bananadance:

BTW ...your smartphones are always listening to you. My wife gets adverts for things that we were talking about at home within days of the conversation.

BTW- all that info on the property appraiser's site is "public info".

None of those buy houses cash operations needs any "tech" telemetry from your online activity on you whatsoever.

All they need is to go to the appraiser's site and start searching.

They get the address, the owner name and address if it's different, and the assessed value of the property.

Of course county assessments are routinely very low, and could be years behind an upward value trend.

That's gold to those marketers, as they have an "official" value they can reference.....which is already on the low side.

If you've seen the claim "full assessed value minus repairs"...Gee, I wonder where they get their "assessed value".

Auto Transport Service
Back