• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picked up a low mile 440 today.

I believe I will use a non weighted torque converter as well as flywheel. The B&M 2500 stall that I have in non weighted so should work with a non weighted flywheel. If the information I have is correct. errr my bad I mean non weighted flex plate.

Last edited:
Well today I got 2 pistons out and one is stuck at the oil ring. Cant figure out why it wont come out. Ended up busting the piston head trying to get it out. No problem really I plan on replacing them anyhow. I'm hoping heating the thing up will help to get it out. There is no ridge at all in the engine.

Todays.. update.. I have the block bare now. The crank is in great shape. I did manage to booger it up a tad with a rod bolt. But that can be polished out. The other bad thing is I broke one piston. However I am planning on buying the summit kit that comes with all that. My machine guy says that THIS kit is what I need. I will be ordering that tomorrow. And then once I get it I can take him the pistons and the block to have it machined. He also said my 452 heads are fine for what I am doing. And will just need a little thicker head gasket to bring the compression down a tad to 9.5 or something like that. Too many numbers flowing from his mouth for me to remember it all.

After I get the block back and assemble the short block then I can work on getting the heads rebuilt. This is a project now and It will be built as I can afford to buy parts.

Todays.. update.. I have the block bare now. The crank is in great shape. I did manage to booger it up a tad with a rod bolt. But that can be polished out. The other bad thing is I broke one piston. However I am planning on buying the summit kit that comes with all that. My machine guy says that THIS kit is what I need. I will be ordering that tomorrow. And then once I get it I can take him the pistons and the block to have it machined. He also said my 452 heads are fine for what I am doing. And will just need a little thicker head gasket to bring the compression down a tad to 9.5 or something like that. Too many numbers flowing from his mouth for me to remember it all.

After I get the block back and assemble the short block then I can work on getting the heads rebuilt. This is a project now and It will be built as I can afford to buy parts.

What's the plan for the cam?

As of now not thinking about that. Now I just need to come up with the cash for the machining. Then once I get that off my brain I will focus on the cam and lifters and timing chain setup. He mentioned what cam it would need but truthfully I forgot. I will ask him tomorrow. The build isn't going to go the way we priced it the first time. Then it was going to be 590 hp 630 torque He did all the math on his dyno software. But he was also saying CR in the 10 area. I kept telling him I didn't want an all out race engine. Just a little better than a stock 440.

As of now not thinking about that. Now I just need to come up with the cash for the machining. Then once I get that off my brain I will focus on the cam and lifters and timing chain setup. He mentioned what cam it would need but truthfully I forgot. I will ask him tomorrow. The build isn't going to go the way we priced it the first time. Then it was going to be 590 hp 630 torque He did all the math on his dyno software. But he was also saying CR in the 10 area. I kept telling him I didn't want an all out race engine. Just a little better than a stock 440.

Awesome! Sounds like you have a good plan.

I do have a noobie question. How do I remove the wrist pins from the pistons? I have a shop press but should I heat them?

I would try to get the piston with a 2.067 C Height. Then you will have about the same amount of deck clearance as a 1969 440. Then if at some future date you get hold of some alum, or closed chamber heads, you can get some decent quench/squish going on in the combustion chamber. Good quench improves overall performance of the engine.

I did a lot of research on this and also called Comp Cams. This is the cam they recommended "Comp cams SK21-227-4"

I went with this cam because I am going to run 3.23 rear gears.

The other option was "SK21-228-4" if I had been running a lower gear set like 3.73.

That’s a great cam. Very similar to the Lunati in my 451. You’re gonna love it.

I do have a noobie question. How do I remove the wrist pins from the pistons? I have a shop press but should I heat them?

They’re pressed in, no heat necessary. Just have your builder press them out... it’s a real PITA unless you have the correct jig. because of the shape of the piston and a little ‘eyebrow’ just above the wrist pin, you’ll be cracking piston skirts and cursing.

They’re pressed in, no heat necessary. Just have your builder press them out... it’s a real PITA unless you have the correct jig. because of the shape of the piston and a little ‘eyebrow’ just above the wrist pin, you’ll be cracking piston skirts and cursing.
Right on thanks. I watched a couple videos. Guy had some odd shaped thing on the bottom of the piston when he was pressing it out. Thats the jig you speak of. Thanks.

That’s a great cam. Very similar to the Lunati in my 451. You’re gonna love it.
Holy Crap! I found a video of a 69 Coronet 440 that has the XE275HL cam I just got for my build. This thing sounds MEAN!

Holy Crap! I found a video of a 69 Coronet 440 that has the XE275HL cam I just got for my build. This thing sounds MEAN!

That sounds fantastic ! Like I said, very similar to my lunati. I can tell you this, when I pull into the local cruise night, people take notice.

Well I got a deal yesterday on some of the stuff I needed to complete the engine.. Crank is kinda like a mopar superstore.. I need to make sure the pistons I got will work. They are not the same as the summit kit offers. But came with new rings and are .30 over.

That Kit offered Approximate compression ratio 9.37:1 with a 88cc head. I have a set of 452 heads. Which i read this.. The chambers in a 452 can range anywhere from 88cc to 96cc. The pistons I picked up are these. Just want to make sure they will do the job. Otherwise I will have to sell them and get the kit I was originally going to pick up. Remember I am a noob at this so help is appreciated. And the block will get bored to .30 over btw.

Here is the information from the kit at summit..
Summit Racing Part Number:SLP-L2355F30

UPC:087674135047

Bore (in):4.350 in.

Bore (mm):110.490mm

Piston Style:Flat top, with four valve reliefs

Piston Material:Forged aluminum

Compression Distance (in):2.061 in.

Piston Head Volume (cc):+7.00cc

Wrist Pin Style:press-fit

Wrist Pin Included:Yes

Pin Diameter (in):1.094 in.

Piston Ring Thickness:5/64 in. x 5/64 in. x 3/16 in.

This is the page for the below pistons. https://www.uempistons.com/index.ph...d=1643&zenid=47c51279f8537e85c685858984ad851f

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

Last edited:
If my math is correct, those pistons will be pretty deep in the hole at stock deck height. Not sure I’d use them.

FC49E890-4E4A-4F1D-9EC1-A1968622E6C5.jpeg

welll crap. Ok I guess I will post them for sale. Ill go ahead and order the summit kit with the forged pistons.

ITS HERE ITS HERE>>>> Just got the final piece to my kit from summit.

OK guys and girls.. Tomorrow the machine shop gets the 440 and all the stuff they need to balance the rotating assembly and machine the block. I'm getting it bored .30 over, decked, cleaned, honed and balancing of the rotating assembly. Also he is going to polish the crank and check it all out.

Auto Transport Service
Back