• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

restoring a 68 rr and have some questions

jeff ashley

Local time
9:46 AM
Reaction score
guys, im restoring a 68 rr. pp1 red with white vinyl top. manual drums. the only variations i was gonna do to the original fender tag was leaving top off and painting all red, installing elect ignition and converting to disc and power on front. do you guys think these changes will hurt the value of this car or help it? the car is a clean original numbers matching 383 columnshift car right now and its not loaded with options. let me know what you think. i dont want to kill the value but im not gonna sell it eithor.

I say do what you want, it's your car. As long as you don't cut on it, it can easily be put back to concourse.
Just my 2 cents.
Mine is an original 4 speed 383 car, numbers matching but I am going to drop in a crate hemi and aftermarket trans and diff, front discs.
I'll freshen up the original 383, trans and diff and keep it on stands that will always go with the car, if I ever sell it which will probably be never.

My '67 Corrie was originally a white vinyl top..Regardless of original or not, it looks WAYYY better now..without it. ;)

I you decided to sell it, it not going to hurt the value, most people are going to either not be able to read the tag, or don't care just as long as it has a decent paint job on it.

My 70 Bee was originally a coloum shift automatic. I changed it over to a 4 speed tranny but used all the parts to make it look original. Plus Im changing the original burnt orange metallic & interior to something I like. Also adding a vinyl top & disc up front. I couldn't go back in time & buy the car I would like to have with all the options I like so Im building my Bee the way I would have if I could get one new today. Except I don't have a Hemi of course. I say build it the way you want. Unless it is a rare car with certain options.

Those changes won't really hurt the cars value much either way, build it how you want it... enjoy it my $0.02 cents

Those changes won't really hurt the cars value much either way, build it how you want it... enjoy it my $0.02 cents

X2 and those changes can always be easily changed back if need be. Save all the original parts, just in case.

your making it a safer car by doing what you said you would do.
I did those brake changes on my GTX and it stops better than ever.

Make the changes and save the drum stuff just in case you decide to pass it along. the next owner can
do with it as they like later.

In the meantime, have fun with it.

Matt

Auto Transport Service
Back