• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scotch whiskey: Do you imbibe?

GrabberOrange69

Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
The last few years I've taken a liking to the Island of Islay. In fact I just cracked Ardbeg's ARDBOG, a very smokey delectable. Just trying it out in anticipation of the monthly scotch tasting I do with 5 other buddies where we imbibe and smoke cigars out of purview of the estrogen crowd. Anyone else here a fan of the Islay?

Not really a Scotch drinker, but do enjoy some American made small batch offerings, some high end rums too! Recently explored some Mitchers American with a good cigar. Hmmmmm Hmmmmm Good!

I have a collection of about 50 different bottles of single malt whiskies from my travels around Scotland a few years ago. Have managed to open a few of them. I can tell you for a fact that once the bottles are cracked, the angels get more than their fair share :)
Among my bottles are an Islay, Laphroaig, Highland Park, many different ages of Glenmorangie, and some blends also including most of the Johnny Walker range - red, black, gold, green and blue, and several from Bells in the distinctive bell-shaped bottles. Most of my 'collection' is either Cask strength, or limited run bottlings, and even a couple of 'extinct' whiskies, which were released as a special edition in 1994.

Ahh, the price you pay for going on distillery tours.... :icon_cheers::eek:ccasion14:

I enjoy bourbon too. A friend gifted me a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle's 20 yo Family Reserve a couple of years ago. I bring that jewel out on very special occasions...don't know what I'll do when it's gone as I've recently found it's hard to find.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a collection of about 50 different bottles of single malt whiskies from my travels around Scotland a few years ago. Have managed to open a few of them. I can tell you for a fact that once the bottles are cracked, the angels get more than their fair share :)
Among my bottles are an Islay, Laphroaig, Highland Park, many different ages of Glenmorangie, and some blends also including most of the Johnny Walker range - red, black, gold, green and blue, and several from Bells in the distinctive bell-shaped bottles. Most of my 'collection' is either Cask strength, or limited run bottlings, and even a couple of 'extinct' whiskies, which were released as a special edition in 1994.

Ahh, the price you pay for going on distillery tours.... :icon_cheers::eek:ccasion14:

Sounds like a nice collection. Do I read your 'nick' correctly as being from New Zealand originally?

I enjoy bourbon too. A friend gifted me a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle's 20 yo Family Reserve a couple of years ago. I bring that jewel out on very special occasions...don't know what I'll do when it's gone as I've recently found it's hard to find.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like a nice collection. Do I read your 'nick' correctly as being from New Zealand originally?

Yes sir, that is correct. Born here, travelled a lot between 1987 and 1996, back home now. Even toured the Jack Daniels distillery in 1990...that was an education in more ways than one :)

Half Moon Bay is actually a suburb of Auckland, New Zealand - our largest city.

The bottle of JW Green label is possible the very first bottle sold at retail in the world - as I bought it at Heathrow Airport as we were leaving London in 1996. They had only just put it on the shelf, and I was the first to buy it. The sales lady told me they were the first to stock it worldwide. :)

Last edited:
When I do drink spirits I prefer Makers Mark or Nobb Creek Tennessee/Kentucky Bourbon/Whiskey's, usually settle on good old JD & a nice hand rolled Dominican or Cuban Rothschild cut cigar... I rarely smoke anymore & tend to drink Jack & Coke or will usually sit down with a good Samuel Adams Cream Stout or Black & Tan brew is my real preferences these days... I was a Agave & Tequila man in my younger years, whiskey mad me get into fights, tequila made me mellow...LOL... it's pretty much the complete opposite now... I do enjoy a good Scotch Whiskey, from time to time, I use to like Old Bushmills Single Malt 10-16-21 year old Whiskey's, among others... not too big on Scotch these days, kind of lost the taste for it...

Haven't done much with scotch, however I do enjoy a brandy. And funny you bring up scotch. What I learned recently I might try some Scotch - but strictly for educational purposes...:grin:

I recently went to a lab to look at a noisy turbo pump on a HP/Agilent GC/MS, and on another instrument they were running samples of about 12 different scotches. And when I say samples I mean serious lab analysis type stuff. I have the report with all the different compounds found in various makes of scotch. For example an Ardbeg Uigeadail has a high response of isoamylalcohol, 1-propanol, ethyl acetate, ethyl decanoate, ethyl dodecanoate, 2-furancarboxaldehyde, 2-phenthyl acetate, naphthalene and 2-methyl propanol.

I have no idea what's what regarding the data, but if you like the Ardbeg over the Oban, it could be that you prefer a high concentration of isoamylalcohol and 1-propanol. I know; I know, you will need more sample time to get fully acquainted with the different compounds.

Half Moon Bay is actually a suburb of Auckland, New Zealand - our largest city.

:)

We have a Half Moon Bay here in Calif. to north of SF, we had a Half Moon Bay Drag strip too

60 Dragster A-G Half Moon Bay Jack Chrisman Howard Cam Special.jpg 61 Dragster A-G Half Moon Bay Gotelli & Mclennan A-FD vs Schrank Bros B-FD.jpg 61 Dragster A-G Half Moon Bay Jim McLennan & Don Garlits Andy Brizo starter.jpg 61 Dragster A-G Half Moon Bay Jim McLennan Bud Barnett & John Zucca.jpg

Haven't done much with scotch, however I do enjoy a brandy. And funny you bring up scotch. What I learned recently I might try some Scotch - but strictly for educational purposes...:grin:

I recently went to a lab to look at a noisy turbo pump on a HP/Agilent GC/MS, and on another instrument they were running samples of about 12 different scotches. And when I say samples I mean serious lab analysis type stuff. I have the report with all the different compounds found in various makes of scotch. For example an Ardbeg Uigeadail has a high response of isoamylalcohol, 1-propanol, ethyl acetate, ethyl decanoate, ethyl dodecanoate, 2-furancarboxaldehyde, 2-phenthyl acetate, naphthalene and 2-methyl propanol.

I have no idea what's what regarding the data, but if you like the Ardbeg over the Oban, it could be that you prefer a high concentration of isoamylalcohol and 1-propanol. I know; I know, you will need more sample time to get fully acquainted with the different compounds.

Interesting....well, as long as it doesn't make me go blind....

All that might as well be French or Chinese to me ...LOL..., I don't have the chemistry knowledge/background, to tell you what the heck any of it means, too me, if it tastes good I drink it... that's when I actually drink...

1952 speech by Noah S. “Soggy” Sweat, Jr., a young lawmaker from the U.S. state of Mississippi, on the subject of whether Mississippi should continue to prohibit (which it did until 1966) or finally legalize alcoholic beverages. I think it is hilarious, so I am including it here in its entirety.

My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, here is how I feel about whiskey:
If when you say whiskey you mean the devil’s brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.
But, if when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman’s step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life’s great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.
This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.

I’ll have a glass of JAMESON IRISH WHISKEY.........

up to about 25 years ago i wouldn't of given you a nickle for a shot of scotch. until then every once in awhile you would be somewhere and ,it's happened to all of us, all that was left was scotch so you par-taked because you wanted more. obviously it was stuff at the bottom end of the scotch scale because i didn't want anymore the next day.
that all changed when i had the opportunity the meet and be-friend a man by the name of george flemming. at the time of his retirement from the r.c.m.p. he was chief superintendent, the big boss, and headed the counter espionage bureau, head spy. that has big meaning for both canada and the united states for various reasons.
anyway, one day while at his home he asked if i would have a drink of scotch with him. guessing he would not be drinking the run of the mill lower end brands i obliged. what he served was a shot of Lagavulin. every year now for christmas when i buy numerous cases of various products, rye-rum-vodka for my customers, i always buy a case of Lagavulin for my home stock.
thank you george.

eorge D.
REGIMENTAL NUMBER -16157 / O.791

FLEMING, Supt. George D. Peacefully, with his family by his side, on Monday, November 14, 2005 at The Ottawa General Hospital, in his 80th year. Cherished and loving husband of Judith Ann (nee Schrieder) of Ivanhoe, Ontario. Dear father of Philip (Roanne Preston) of Vancouver, British Columbia and Sarah Herring (Wesley) of Ottawa. Loving grandfather of Katharine and Evan Herring. Fondly remembered by his sister-in-law Jean Fleming of Ivanhoe, her daughters Joanne Ferguson of Trenton, Ontario and Janice DeClair of Belleville, Ontario, brother-in-law Gary Schrieder of Picton, Ontario, sister-in-law Amy Schrieder (Paul Chapelle) of Belleville and their children Sam and Lucy Chapelle. Predeceased by his parents, Thomas Emo and Edna (nee Belford) Fleming, his bother John and sister, Shirley Lloyd. George was born in Ivanhoe, Ontario, January 6, 1926, and received his earlier education in a one-room schoolhouse (SS # 12 Huntingdon). He went on to attend Madoc Secondary School, where his education was interrupted by the war. He joined the navy in May, 1943 and served until the cessation of the war in 1945. After discharge, he continued his high school education at, and graduated from the Veterans' Rehabilitation School in Brockville, Ontario. After working as a surveyor in Belleville for two years, he joined the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in Ottawa, serving in Prince George, British Columbia, Dawson, Yukon Territory and along the Alaska Highway. Having joined the RCMP for Special Branch duties, he was then posted to Headquarters in Ottawa and from there went on to posts in the United Kingdom and several European cities, lastly in Vienna, Austria. In 1958, he returned to Toronto, Ontario to take up counter-espionage duties where he remained until 1966. After promotion to the rank of Inspector, he headed up the Foreign Services Directorate, later being promoted as Director, FSD, supporting the rank of Superintendent. At the time of his retirement in 1984, this position was considered that of Chief Superintendent. Friends and family will be received at the McConnell Funeral Home, 112 Durham Street South, Madoc, Ontario (613-473- 2833)

Shag766 - thanks for the story. I have a Lagavulin 16 in my bar, and it was the "winner" of my Scotch buddies last taste-off.

The last few years I've taken a liking to the Island of Islay. In fact I just cracked Ardbeg's ARDBOG, a very smokey delectable. Just trying it out in anticipation of the monthly scotch tasting I do with 5 other buddies where we imbibe and smoke cigars out of purview of the estrogen crowd. Anyone else here a fan of the Islay?
I enjoy the fine taste of Single malt, Glenlivet, since the Scots are fair traders I drink this fine dribb. O yes now and then i will take a little makers mark since it's US made. While we continue to Survive the Obama administration I find myself needing a bit more.

I've noticed a few makers mark comments here. A fine whiskey in its own right, perfect for the day to day ...

My brother is a "scotch" kinda guy...He brought a bottle of some "fine" scotch up north to camp a few weeks ago....not sure the make but Im sure it worked well. Onece he showed me the rite way do drink it I was pretty good.

Auto Transport Service
Back