• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stock 440 Block Horsepower Limit

Ask bobtile he’s got a good builder
I "think" that is you making an "inside joke". I'm not quite up to speed on that, but that is the jist I get.
That's ok. I am going to make the decision, just looking for anyone who had 6bbl stroker build experience and could make an informed recommendation.

I "think" that is you making an "inside joke". I'm not quite up to speed on that, but that is the jist I get.
That's ok. I am going to make the decision, just looking for anyone who had 6bbl stroker build experience and could make an informed recommendation.
Ya just a little sarcasm poking fun at him, his motor has been being built for 10 months I think? Wish I could help you out, there’s a member here local to me that builds mopar motors, I’ve been to hisngarage he has some pretty impressive builds going on, bought my T&D rockers from him.

Ya just a little sarcasm poking fun at him, his motor has been being built for 10 months I think? Wish I could help you out, there’s a member here local to me that builds mopar motors, I’ve been to hisngarage he has some pretty impressive builds going on, bought my T&D rockers from him.
Nope,
Nov.3 was my 1 year anniversary!
Starting my 2nd now.

According to Wallace Racing calculator for ET and weight, 550. With an old school build...light pistons and Hemi rods, it showed cap walk after over 300 passes.

Can someone please explain to me what "cap walk" is?

Can someone please explain to me what "cap walk" is?
Some call it cap bounce....it's when the main caps bounce or move (walk) due to the forces placed on them from combustion. The main caps actually move around during high stress conditions. Steel is flexible and bends and twists. Crankshaft harmonics is actually the crank flexing......rods bend. Heck, even the block flexes too.

Some call it cap bounce....it's when the main caps bounce or move (walk) due to the forces placed on them from combustion. The main caps actually move around during high stress conditions. Steel is flexible and bends and twists. Crankshaft harmonics is actually the crank flexing......rods bend. Heck, even the block flexes too.

So the holes in the caps that fit over the bolts actually get elongated? Or do they remain the same and the cap itself just seems warped?

So the holes in the caps that fit over the bolts actually get elongated? Or do they remain the same and the cap itself just seems warped?
Here are a couple of InterWeb pix if that helps
Screenshot_20171121-144010.jpg
Screenshot_20171121-144035.jpg

The surface on the cap and block shows fretting or material loss. The holes in the cap are already slightly larger than the bolts or studs diameter. Clamping force is supposed to hold them against the block.

I would trust & defer to what these 2 guys say...

pretty much anything Jim/IQ52 says I take as gospel...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had several 470-479ci B-Engines based on the weaker 383 blocks also
with aftermarket internals, that made north of 700hp & some with N20 too
upwards of 1000hp on the track, in street/strip 68 RR's...
1st one ran best of 9.77 @ 135 N/A & a best 8.58 & 156mph 3520#'s on N20
on drag radials, 6pt roll bar
{couldn't make too many passes, usually on test & tune days too}
but, I never dyno'd them, I went by on track performance...
I always used a girdle, it was/is cheap insurance, it doesn't hurt you...
The 1st one, my old silver 68 RR is still running around Sacramento today,
it had 12k miles when I sold it, he claims he's done a fe 9.90 passes
in it & still driving it too...

I've also ran 426ci max wedge filled to the freezeplugs with Portland cement
running early on a Hampton 8:71 & later a Littlefield 10:71 blown
Hi helix twisted rotors as much as 45#'s boost, Enderle Mech. FI on alcohol
that lived in an light-ish 23 T (T/A Funny Car chassis) Altered,
engine solidly mounted in the chassis, engine plate & ears off the front
for 2 seasons freshening regularly, doing a full block check it up yearly,
checking of cracks (especially in the center main webs) etc.
1800#'s plus (with 200#'s of ballast) me 250# running 6.90's @ 190+
Even with all that chassis flex, it didn't split or crack or grenade
{like everyone says they will}
That's a far sight more than 700hp, it lived, lived well
it didn't split the bock or break the crank,
it did have aftermarket lightweight parts everywhere,
Forged crank, Childs & Albert rods, Venolia pistons,
billet "one off" splayed 4 bolt caps, a hand built girdle
a fuunycar style 12 qt. pan & Milodon pump system {external}..
I also stayed on top of it, broke it down pretty much after every race-day...

You'd be surprised what some blocks can handle,
would I do the same thing today ?, probably not !!
not with all the available {usually} aftermarket pieces we have today
20+ years ago we didn't have anywhere near what we have today
especially for Mopar's, let alone the wedge combos...

I'd say for the OP's combo the girdle is a great idea,
a 4 bolt or aftermarket/better block later isn't a bad idea either,
it's not if they will break ?, it's when !!, even on all that high dollar stuff...
Exactly, my engine is around 1300hp on M-5. 1190 ON M-1.. No Problems after 2 years...1969 block filled. Eagle crank & rods. Ross pistons, Victor heads with countless hrs. Ported Tunnel Ram intake. 6-71 Blower at 39% over... And let me add..FelPro 1009 head gaskets ARP HEAD BOLTS.and VERY CAREFULLY ASSEMBLED . Normal Teardown for inspection every 4 to 6 months. I own my Machine Shop which is a plus..But It can be done

Exactly, my engine is around 1300hp on M-5. 1190 ON M-1.. No Problems after 2 years...1969 block filled. Eagle crank & rods. Ross pistons, Victor heads with countless hrs. Ported Tunnel Ram intake. 6-71 Blower at 39% over... And let me add..FelPro 1009 head gaskets ARP HEAD BOLTS.and VERY CAREFULLY ASSEMBLED . Normal Teardown for inspection every 4 to 6 months. I own my Machine Shop which is a plus..But It can be done
Thanks for the post!

Since writing up this thread, I've gone through 3 blocks. All my engines ran 6.30's @ 107 mph (1/8 mile) in a 3550 lb car. All block failures were because of cracks. All blocks had a girdle installed and the 2nd and 3rd block was filled about an inch or so above the freeze plug line with Hardblok.

Block #1 developed a crack in the middle of the freeze plugs on the drivers side.
23755183_10208588478149776_6998705150254302126_n.jpg

Block #2 had a massive cylinder crack and a strange "hotspot", I believe this was just a old block issue... Had 3 passes on it.
24312686_10208675867374452_7542950083956974617_n.jpg

Block #3 was sitting for about 3 years, that ended up being a small crack in the cylinder wall just above where the Hardblok stopped.
280025764_10217274988787113_7616221867212349853_n.jpg

Block #4 is coming back from the machine shop soon... Lets see how it goes!

291679307_1193746531169636_3691616131611899334_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the post!

Since writing up this thread, I've gone through 3 blocks. All my engines ran 6.30's @ 107 mph (1/8 mile) in a 3550 lb car. All block failures were because of cracks. All blocks had a girdle installed and the 2nd and 3rd block was filled about an inch or so above the freeze plug line with Hardblok.

Block #1 One of the blocks developed a crack in the middle of the freeze plugs on the drivers side.
View attachment 1313930

Block #2 had a massive cylinder crack and a strange "hotspot", I believe this was just a old block issue... Had 3 passes on it.
View attachment 1313929

Block #3 was sitting for about 3 years, that ended up being a small crack in the cylinder wall just above where the Hardblok stopped.
View attachment 1313931

View attachment 1313932
Wow. I hate that you've had so much trouble my friend. I know it get irritating at times. But that beauty you got now should serve you very well.. Good luck with your new project

Kudos again to anyone wanting or "needing" to use a factory block.
I was just rereading this thread I'm watching and a lot has changed since my 2017 post.
My decision to get the "new and improved" Bill Mitchell aluminum RB block is simply that I am only going to be able to do this build once, and I'm having to do it in stages, originally because of funds available or lack thereof, and now add in product availability causing delays. It also made it easy to say "YES" to a 4.5 x 4.5 572 when we discussed displacement.
Anyway, even though :lowdown: @IQ52 has made impressive power with longevity, knowing I've got targeted HP in the 6XX range and torque at 700 ft lbs, it didn't make sense in my desire to have a relatively "low maintenance" (I don't have the skills or time to do periodic engine teardown and put back together with "fresh parts" and most importantly, I have tremendous peace of mind in that the block can handle any power levels I'll ever see, and double that. The weight savings is nice, but to invest a lot of time and energy building an engine that's pushing or exceeding the limits of a factory block just doesn't fit my needs.
Again, KUDOS to those who do!

We have ran 10.01 @ 133 in a 3,700 lbs. car with a stock block. No fill, no girdle and ARP main studs. A lightweight rotating assembly (Molnar crank, rods and Mahle pistons) and an rpm limit of 6500 is what keeps it alive IMO. That and sneaking up on the tune so you don't detonate. We pulled it apart this Winter. The caps and bearings look great. It has seen lots of passes with a 200 shot that had seen it do 10.33 but regularly 10.40's. The 250 shot ran the 10.0 second time out. Once sorted, we plan to drive it to the track, run a 9 and drive for ice cream. :)

Thanks for the post!

Block #1 developed a crack in the middle of the freeze plugs on the drivers side.
View attachment 1313930

View attachment 1313929

View attachment 1313931

If they sonic good Block #1 water jacket crack is an easy stich pin repair. Block #3 gets a sleeve.
Doug

Since writing up this thread, I've gone through 3 blocks.

If they sonic good Block #1 water jacket crack is an easy stich pin repair. Block #3 gets a sleeve.
Doug
...or maybe that's why he is "involved" in the For Sale thread of a Bill Mitchell Products aluminum block...
I had my comment about "that seeming to be a great deal" removed from the thread, but that's the same block I bought, that I got a great deal on, and the asking price was even less than I paid. The only difference is mine came from BMP through my dealer/builder, but if you are buying it, congrats Schober!

Auto Transport Service
Back