• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Street/Strip Cam??

Zeppelin264

Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
I know this has been beaten to death but there is so many combo's out there and I cant find anything that's up my ally. I'm looking for a Hydraulic Flat Tappet Street/Strip Cam suggestions. I'll list my specs below. I just want a nice cam that will be lumpy(110 or 112 Lobe) and create good power. Iron Ductile Rockers in a 1.5 ratio flavor, nothing fancy.

440ci roughly 9 to 1 compression(or 9to1 pistons anyway). 72' Stock Bottom end/stroke etc..
Edelbrock E Street Heads (84cc)
Holley Street Dominator Single Plane
RMVB 727 Auto with a 3500 stall PTC. Cope Trans
3:91 Gears
28" Tall Tire
Holley Sniper EFI if that matters

What do you think? I currently am running the Lunati 60304 in a 446ci build but I want to start over with this engine. Not a huge fan of that cam.

Wow, i just saw a video on you tube of a 440 with that cam, and it was plenty lumpy. I looked up the specs and i think it would be pretty good for your combo. What didnt you like, or what do you want different?
You have good gears and converter, you could probably use a step or two up from that lunati, but 9( was it actually measured?) to 1 is a little soft with aluminum heads.

Its a nitrous cam and I guess I want to try something different? I dunno. Its not a bad cam. I'd rock it again I suppose.
Wow, i just saw a video on you tube of a 440 with that cam, and it was plenty lumpy. I looked up the specs and i think it would be pretty good for your combo. What didnt you like, or what do you want different?

Look @ the Comp XE-275-HL, also available in 285 & 295. I think it's (275) built with your set up in mind.

Look @ the Comp XE-275-HL, also available in 285 & 295. I think it's (275) built with your set up in mind.

Whats the difference from the 275/285 & 295. These are the cams I was kinda looking at.

Whats the difference from the 275/285 & 295. These are the cams I was kinda looking at.

275- 231°/237° 525/525
285- 241/247° 545/545
295- 251/257° 564/564

I have this cam sitting in my shelf right now as a back up, if my roller is too unfriendly on the street...I'm probably still a month out from finding out though...

Step 1 - Confirm what piston you have and calculate actual compression ratio.

It would also help if you could articulate exactly why you are not satisified with the Lunati cam. It's a good cam so either it was too big, or too small for your liking I suspect.

When you get to the .520 & up lift make sure you don't run into retainer/seal interference. Don't ask me how I know.

It's a good cam, maybe it wasn't degreed properly? Who set it up? I'm with 33, 9:1 actual is a bit soft for that cam and aluminum heads. Put some more squeeze in there and you'll wake that cam up.

There were 5 versions of the passenger car 440 in 1972. All were supposed to be about 8.75:1 compression which is a point down on the 70 440 4bb
from cuda-challanger.com
so what's the compression height of your pistons or how far down the gole are they
Is this build getting new pistons.
screw .050 work with .006 and .200
you have adj rockers think solid cam with edm lifters
and what do you want differentnew heads unmodified? post the flows
figure out how to get some quench with your new heads
good cam suggestions but what exhaust?
if good headers you do not need that much exhaust spread
275 cam is going to want 10.5 270 10:1 264 9.7 for street
IDK if e=street springs are enough for those comp hl cams check (check everything_

I run the xe275hl in a 3.75 stroke 440 similar to yours although I have 10.2:1 compression on a zero deck short block and OOTB RPM heads, been in there for 7 years and I am happy with it, it idles with a nice lope @ 850 with 13" vacuum. On the odd time I have been to the track it will generally run 12.8s, 110mph @ 4050lbs with a 3.23 gear and true street tires. It spat a push rod on a 6000rpm pull, no point in going that high as power falls off around 5500. The RPM springs have been fine. I have a xe282s and edm lifters to put in at some stage, if you go to the track at all I would be looking at a solid, especially with the 3.91 gear.

Last edited:
I run the xe275hl..........It spat a push rod on a 6000rpm pull, .

That right there is proof positive that the hydraulic lifter plunger is collapsing at rpm, unless the rocker adjuster came loose. That's why its not making power after 5500.

justcruzin= tks
check the .200 lift duration berween the xe282 and xe275hl may not be much different

I think he is talking about the solid 282 cam. Either way, your point is good and needs to be considered.

If he's talking the SFT 282, when you compare these two cams at the valve, there is not a big difference, but my guess is that the little differences would still make the 282 a nice upgrade.

Generally speaking, the idle will be similar between these two, understanding that where you set the lash on the 282 will effect the idle quality. The 0.200 number on the 282 is 7° larger. A couple of degrees will be lost to the lash, but not much at this lift. But the real benefit will be the power holding potential past peak in the upper rpm range. Area under the power curve goes up a lot (i.e. average power between shift and **** recovery) and the car goes noticably faster.

BSB67 is correct, the xe282s is a solid, I have got it for the reasons he has referred to. I wanted a cam around the same size as the hyd cam in there now but with the advantage of being able to hold on to the power in the upper RPM range. I would say apples to apples that the ex282s/xs282s is about 5 degrees larger than the xe275hl, probably comparable to the 60304 Lunati the OP has had. A solid just makes sense if you intend to spend any time at the track.
The adjuster was secure, I also put it down to lifter collapse.

Ok Guys. Thanks for all the input. I picked the motor up today and here is what I learned.

73' Block (J Code) Block is factory bore(4.32) and has a flat top piston with 2 little relief's that face the front of the block(See Pic). The pistons are .161 down from the deck at TDC on #1. The motor had Felpro 8519 PTI or PT1 head gaskets. He was running the Howards 728001-09 cam and that was included in the sale and what looks like a brand new set of factory style rocker arms & 3/8" pushrods.

I actually enjoy the Lunati 60304 cam but I have a feeling it was not degree'd properly and the whole engine since day 1 has felt like a dog. So I dunnno.

IMG_3431.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like Step 1 is completed: 7.8:1 compression ratio with an aluminum head. Not a great starting point.

My experience is limited on this combination. Based on your street strip desire, I'd probably be looking at something that moves the valves reasonably fast, about 240° @ 0.050 on a tight lsa, installed 4-6° advanced.

Look at what IQ52 did for a low compression motor. Probably some good take-aways for you.

Looks like Step 1 is completed: 7.8:1 compression ratio with an aluminum head. Not a great starting point.

My experience is limited on this combination. Based on your street strip desire, I'd probably be looking at something that moves the valves reasonably fast, about 240° @ 0.050 on a tight lsa, installed 4-6° advanced.

Look at what IQ52 did for a low compression motor. Probably some good take-aways for you.

Aby idea on what Cam you are referring to?

Last edited:
With the pistons that far down.
It's an uphill battle. (so to speak)

Auto Transport Service
Back