• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

That Thing Got A Hemi? No it doesn't!

67GTX440

Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
In praises of the 440RB.

I love going to the auto parts store. I tell them it is for a 67 Plymouth GTX, and they respond with 7.0 or 7.2? I tell them mine has the big displacement engine, not that less reliable smaller displacement one, and it was like buying the car at a 50-75% off sale as compared to the smaller displacement block.

Most of the sales people are oblivious to what I am telling them. That it isn't a Hemi and that is a plus just about any time but resale time! I think 90% of them drive rice burners. You don't even want to get into the discussion that today's Hemis are not really Hemis at all.

You have to want a real Hemi real bad to overlook some of the shortcomings. The 440 is pretty much bulletproof and an easy engine to live with for a car routinely driven.

Well, this should get interesting.

Well, this should get interesting.

Haha! I have a good idea the numbers are on my side!

I know, I know! The first thing my role model Joe Dirt always asked was "That thing got a Hemi?" I understand David Spade paid 900k for his Hemi that made mine about a sale price of about 97% off in comparison. He did get a chin up bar on the trunk included, however.

Oh no, here comes more flack! Better put on my flack jacket! LOL

I don't think it will get ugly or nasty, just interesting. (For the record, I sold my Hemi to finance my 440 car).

opening the hood and seeing the crinkle black hemi valve covers is worth the price of admission. Unfortunately I can't afford the ticket...so wedge for me.

LOL!! I had some guy come up to me and say "Nice Super Bee, that's my 2013 Hemi Charger over there." My response, "Oh, you got the tiny motor car!" He seriously does not want to know how much more motor I have. But then again, I wish I could get 25+ mpg.

Can't really afford a Hemi either (but could if I was hell bent on having one), but if the chance arose, I would trade/sell the Super Bee and buy in a heartbeat a 68 Hemi Dart (clone that is).

Well......had several great 440's.....two stroked and bored to 493...and now..see pictures. Couldn't of had it for not the generosity of My Son who donated a 91 water block,(new,)cam,valve covers,rods,and some things I forgot. Never had a real muscle car in the 60's...now I have one of my favorites. And yes...even with all that to start with and a buddy in a machine shop.....expensive.

IM000904.JPG IM000905.JPG

I get that question all the time in my Ram SRT/10. When I drive my GTX I tell people that " if you wanted a little motor in your GTX, you had to get a HEMI"

I feel every good mopar man or women deserves a Hemi in his or her life time .my 67 GTX is a 440 /493 car and I'm proud and lucky to have her.with that said
No one ever looked under the hood of 67 GTX and said wow a 440 but that's OK I love my wedge
I have a set of Hemi covers, every once in a while I bust them out and sit them over the 440s covers and dream a little bit. lol

I can only speak of western NY...alot of the rest of the Country but that doesn't work here. Most NY'ers eat their heart out when looking at your wedge. The rest are knowledgeable mopar guys and expect to see that. I had a father/son team look at my 67 GTX and the dad stated.."nice but it doesn't have the original 6 pak"...The people who look,alot..just want to find somthing wrong with a car and I'd rather they don't look at all with that attitude

Never was completely sure where the Hemi got it's bad rap for being hard to keep in tune. Adjusting valves is no big deal and they don't need it that often anyway - or at least my solid lifter Corvette doesn't. Is there something about Hemi rockers that they don't hold adjustment? Two Carter AFBs, points, plugs and valves - nothing major there.

Surprising how many people look at my GTX at car shows and ask if it's a 383 (says 440 right on the hood ornament and air cleaner ???) but I always politely say, No - it's a 440. Then they go Aww, Oooh, Cool.

But I would like to own a Hemi. Drove a 68 Hemi Charger back about 1971 and it was a beast.

I coulda had a heart attack. Probably 15yrs old, pumping gas at gas station, regular customer comes in after his work for gas in his '67 coronet. He says check the oil too--- AND there were the black crinkle covers!!!! A plain Jane coronet!!!???

I coulda had a heart attack. Probably 15yrs old, pumping gas at gas station, regular customer comes in after his work for gas in his '67 coronet. He says check the oil too--- AND there were the black crinkle covers!!!! A plain Jane coronet!!!???
Well, did it need a quart? Remember Arco Graphite?

That 11 second et was accomplished through alot of mods....the stock GTX numbers were low 14's....hemi's best back then was high 12's...people were impressed by both for the ability to burn the stock skinny tires.....

Well......had several great 440's.....two stroked and bored to 493...and now..see pictures. Couldn't of had it for not the generosity of My Son who donated a 91 water block,(new,)cam,valve covers,rods,and some things I forgot. Never had a real muscle car in the 60's...now I have one of my favorites. And yes...even with all that to start with and a buddy in a machine shop.....expensive.

View attachment 357943 View attachment 357944
Sweet!

That 11 second et was accomplished through alot of mods....the stock GTX numbers were low 14's....hemi's best back then was high 12's...people were impressed by both for the ability to burn the stock skinny tires.....

Yeah that 11 seconds is a stretch! That was about extremely lightened up and modded Silver Bullet territory. The 440 was in the 14's right at 100 and the Hemi was just a hair faster. Today's cars are crazy fast in comparison. The Hellcat Challengers are low to mid 11's on factory tires and deep into the 10's with just drag radials.

My GTX gets more admiring looks and comments than my Hellcat did, but there is no pure go comparison. Sad part is I have more $ in my GTX than I paid new for the Hellcat, it still is not really done, and the GTX would probably bring $25 on a good day. Tach off to Redline today to convert to electronic and another piece of chrome in the mail to Spacecoast plating with it. Hopefully have these back in 8 weeks, 12 weeks?

Auto Transport Service
Back