• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to buy a car in Georgia from California

norcal_mike

Local time
9:03 PM
Reaction score
I have been trying to lock down a survivor B-body near Macon, GA but the seller is not tech savvy. I discovered it because he son posted it and i spoke to him a few times.

There are these issues:
He will only take cash- no bank etc
He wants cash and carry- he doesn’t want it sitting while a shipper picks it up and I don’t think a rig can get down his dirt road.
I need to get it to Atlanta, where my friends buddy will let me park it on his driveway until I can get transport to haul it. Non-running, so low on the list for shippers wanting to deal with it.

I need some ideas as to how to secure it— either have a member check it out and help me get him a deposit so i can book a flight to get there and pay him the balance.

I was also thinking is there a trustworthy Atlanta car broker that would broker the deal if i paid them?

To me:
Bottom line is if he does not want to deal with a Long Distance purchase, move on
OR:
Fly in, purchase

1. Tell him upon inspection you will money transfer into his account (Possible Forum member in the area, I have sent 2 Forum members a $100 dollar bill for inspections)
2. Have a tow truck pick up car out of his yard to a suitable location (Possible Forum member?)

Be creative, and if he's a jerk...move on

Yeah you’re right. i told him i needed time to book a ticket ($800) and to order cash from bank , cant just pull out large amount in a day. I was asking him for his word that he would not sell it once I booked ticket. He agreed and was supposed to put on a lift to capture more photos. After i called back once verifying ticket prices he told me he had a guy coming that night to look at it. Of course the guy lowballed
him.

Cash ? Be careful. Very careful. Not only in the transaction, but in the physical process as well.

Another thing to consider is Georgia is a non title state on older vehicles. Your in CA so check and make sure you can title it with a bill of sale and registration. Unless he has an old Title that could be a hassle.

Another thing to consider is Georgia is a non title state on older vehicles. Your in CA so check and make sure you can title it with a bill of sale and registration. Unless he has an old Title that could be a hassle.

No title, Id have to title it before registration here in ca. The guy has a pair of nice RRs, so he is a mopar guy. Just a big cultural difference.

Cash a problem? Perhaps you could elaborate.
It’s a dangerous situation to show up somewhere to meet someone you don’t know with 15 grand cash on you, you don’t know what their real plan is.

And,
That IS a good question

Answer is: YES
For California all you need is a statement from seller stating the Car / vehicle has no title/title LOST during the years
I did this a short time ago
CA DMV walked me through it.

AND:
That is why I said a BANK Check or wire transfer

Yep, not my first rodeo. I was planning on a ride along and showing up with tow truck driver. I bought a car for 25k cash, transaction inside the bank, seller was worried my friends were going to rob him after leaving the bank.

Norcal_Mike, drop me a private message as I have a good friend in Dublin which is just East of Macon. There is a good chance that he will know who the individual is and he may even know the car. For the most part, that area is relatively flat or rolling hills, so it would not be an issue like North GA. can be for some mountainous and back wood roads to remove a car.

As everyone has stated, be careful in any transaction, especially that dollar amount and some of those areas can be quite secluded.

Norcal_Mike, drop me a private message as I have a good friend in Dublin which is just East of Macon. There is a good chance that he will know who the individual is and he may even know the car. For the most part, that area is relatively flat or rolling hills, so it would not be an issue like North GA. can be for some mountainous and back wood roads to remove a car.

As everyone has stated, be careful in any transaction, especially that dollar amount and some of those areas can be quite secluded.

Pm sent.

Auto Transport Service
Back