• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your Mopar today?

Brother and I swapped a 70 727 trans into my 65 Coronet several weeks. After tracking down all the cables and stuff needed to convert the stock shifter I finally got it all together yesterday. But then it wouldn't shift properly and it ended up getting stuck. Had to disconnect to new shifter and kickdown cables and bracket and the trans pan, then loosen the valve body and the shift mechanism freed up again. Once I figured out where park should be, I have started putting in back together again. Hopefully it'll work this time. I think I can put the new bracket on the bottom of the trans with some spacers (before putting the pan back on again) and get all the cable adjustment set. I came in to look up torque specs for the valve body and trans pan bolts and ran into an old post from Budnicks about it. Thanks for the info Budnicks.

So I got the transmission pan and new cables all back on.
Here is the old and messed up linkage
IMG_2411.JPG

New Cables and brackets
IMG_2418.JPG
IMG_2436.JPG

After taking the pan off again because the detent? stuck. Turns out I didn't have the transmission in park and hooked up the linkage in the wrong spot. You can see the new shift cable bracket
IMG_2433.JPG

New speedo cable, reman'd housing and new gear. Conversion trans mount for the 70 trans in the 65 Coronet.
IMG_2435.JPG

New shift cable and kickdown setups on the trans. oh and rerouted battery cable for the starter. While the car was at my brother's he burned up the original starter so we put in a smaller starter he had given me. The original cables had to route thru the header and was leaning on the steering shaft with the new starter, so I decided to reroute the wiring and replace them. Good thing I did because the old power connections cover was breaking away right at the starter connection.
IMG_2437.JPG

The new trans pan. Extra 3 1/2 quarts. The new kickdown cables run around the back of the trans and up and over the middle top of the case up to the new brackets by the carb. I also had to get the transmission cooling lines setup and adjusted to make sure there was room for everything. I'll get the trans lines hooked together for now so I can make sure the trans and new cable-ling all works.
IMG_2440.JPG

I just hooked some trans hose between the transmission lines at the front and was about to fill er up with trans fluid when I looked over at the workbench and noticed something I forgot to put back in. :mad::( Holy Sh1t!!! Pull the pan of AGAIN :cursin: in the next couple days. Need to get a trans cooler ordered too. Don't know how I forgot that either. Crap.

IMG_2444.JPG

Got the vacuum pump sorted out . I used a relay and activate that from the hot side of the ignition switch.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-760152/overview/
It's quiet and cycles on when vacuum drops below 15". My config has a tee to the manifold which includes the check-valve so if the engine or the pump dies, my booster still functions. This is a 383 with 9:1 CR and too big of a cam.
Big improvement. In traffic or panic stops from 50 mph and I never have that "oh crap!" feeling......

IMG_1001.jpeg IMG_1003.jpeg

Final wiring is finished today on my ragtop. EVERYTHING works as it should. Need to get the A/C lines built, and I can proceed with final assembly of the front grill/bumper, top, and interior. I'll start on it again, once August is over. I'm currently working on my 72 `cuda.

Swapped out the Holley for an Edelbrock. Old girl runs awesome
Did you go with an AVS2?
So I got the transmission pan and new cables all back on.
Here is the old and messed up linkage
View attachment 788513

New Cables and brackets
View attachment 788515 View attachment 788516

After taking the pan off again because the detent? stuck. Turns out I didn't have the transmission in park and hooked up the linkage in the wrong spot. You can see the new shift cable bracket
View attachment 788517

New speedo cable, reman'd housing and new gear. Conversion trans mount for the 70 trans in the 65 Coronet.
View attachment 788523

New shift cable and kickdown setups on the trans. oh and rerouted battery cable for the starter. While the car was at my brother's he burned up the original starter so we put in a smaller starter he had given me. The original cables had to route thru the header and was leaning on the steering shaft with the new starter, so I decided to reroute the wiring and replace them. Good thing I did because the old power connections cover was breaking away right at the starter connection.
View attachment 788526

The new trans pan. Extra 3 1/2 quarts. The new kickdown cables run around the back of the trans and up and over the middle top of the case up to the new brackets by the carb. I also had to get the transmission cooling lines setup and adjusted to make sure there was room for everything. I'll get the trans lines hooked together for now so I can make sure the trans and new cable-ling all works.
View attachment 788538

BPE has nice stuff. I'm using Lokar for the kickdown. Pretty much the same design. I like how BPE mounts everything to the carb.

Last edited:
I just hooked some trans hose between the transmission lines at the front and was about to fill er up with trans fluid when I looked over at the workbench and noticed something I forgot to put back in. :mad::( Holy Sh1t!!! Pull the pan of AGAIN :cursin: in the next couple days. Need to get a trans cooler ordered too. Don't know how I forgot that either. Crap.

View attachment 789016
Close one. I installed the deep pan too, either B&M or Derale I don't remember which. Like that it has a bung for adding a temp gauge. Coupled with a stacked-plate cooler, the trans doesn't go above 185* with a 3,000 stall converter.

Primered and painted the K frame. Drilled holes for the master cylinder and backing plate, the close out panels and the radiator/trans cooler. Cleaned up and primered the pop up gas cap base well.

0627191400a.jpg 0627191431.jpg 0627191432.jpg 0627191432a.jpg 0627191501.jpg 0627191501a.jpg 0627191501b.jpg 0627191501f.jpg 0627191501g.jpg 0627191532.jpg

After getting the rear end/suspension and a complete front end back under mine after my divorce, it got shoved it into the enclosed trailer and closed the door. Now the only time I see it is when I need something from the trailer and that's not very often :(

Primered and painted the K frame. Drilled holes for the master cylinder and backing plate, the close out panels and the radiator/trans cooler. Cleaned up and primered the pop up gas cap base well.

View attachment 790554 View attachment 790555 View attachment 790556 View attachment 790558 View attachment 790559 View attachment 790560 View attachment 790561 View attachment 790563 View attachment 790564 View attachment 790565
I can't wait to see this machine done. It's one thing to put together a car with orginal parts, but to build what's in your mind is art.

Auto Transport Service
Back