• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your Mopar today?

Ordered a cheap stock type fuel pump and put it on yesterday. Took it for a drive and it ran soooo much better. I didn’t realize how bad that Carter pump was.

So I finally got some time to take off the fuel pump and opened it up (first time at this). Only thing I forgot was to take a reference photo for the orientation, shouldn't be to hard to figure out. Anyway I'm assuming this plunger seal looks worn enough so that it won't function properly. It's not separated or torn on the other side. There is a little bit of the small particals in the bottom section, but I don't think it's enough to mess it up. Nothing plugged. In the bottom seal you can see some of the grainy partical laying on it. I don't think this is a filter, at least not based on a couple of the rebuild kits I looked up.

View attachment 957236 View attachment 957237 View attachment 957241 View attachment 957242

Washed all 3 of my vehicles this morning. ..

2020-06-07-12-00-13-jpg.jpg

Jeff

Both the GTX and the Charger got vacuumed, cleaned and Meguired today.
I also went after the Magnum 500's with some Mothers, specifically in the one "ring"
on them that is showing minor signs of corroding/losing the chrome.
Previous owner must have opted for the "cheap" repops...
I thought it was a lost cause, but after a LOT of elbow grease with the Mothers, much
improvement was had. :thumbsup:
Makes me wonder if things aren't rotting from within?

Other than that, did a once-over in the engine bay, tightening all manner of fasteners
and such to the greatest extent I ever have since the transplant occurred a while back.
Especially valve covers and carburetor, things I suspected needed some snugging....
and they did.
Fresh oil change with VR-1, too.
It's getting rather HOT down this way these days, so that was enough heat prostration for one day. :)

Went for a couple hour drive, great weather!
Do you guys know hines dr. Its the place to be!

Been working on rear carb after finding accelerator pump crapped out . Took carb apart and surprised it wasn't to crapped up after 40 years . Replaced plunger and needle under accelerator pump nozzles. Put in mini starter over the past couple of weeks. Still waiting on positive cable bracket. Today wanted to see how it would run with the cleaned up carb and the new mini starter. Started right up, after 30 seconds just let it idle. No fussing, don't run a choke, ran more betterer:D. Got out timing light, needed to advance it some.Took a ride around neighborhood, no stalling and struggling to keep it running. Now it just needs a bath.

Last edited:
Forgot put an inline fuse to my OEM look voltage regulator. Member recommended it so you don't burn up wiring if regulator fails. Wish I could give him credit.

Well took it out for an hour and a half of city stop and go in 84 Degree temps. To test cooling system. Never needed the electric fan I installed. But as I was backing into the garage Got a large cloud of steam. Pulle the hood and the upper hose off again! But this time I know it was not me, and probably was not me before. Napa part no. BK 605-1051 NG. Top of t-stat housing did not have little ridge on it to help secure hose from sliding up neck of housing. So between 16 PSI rad. cap and Hi volumn mechanical water pump. It works it way off. Took the t-housing off the O.E. cast iron water pump housing, cleaned it,sanded it and painted it with High Temp paint. Tracked down the rest of what was needed, and ran Rebecca errands. So tomorrow that's what I will be doing again. Reinstall t-stat and t-stat housing and juice and drive it again. Water temp never got over 195 degrees no matter what I did. Just as of yet have not needed electric aux. fan. Do not mind doing anything on the car just hate doing it over and over.

I did the same thing recently, cleaned up an old factory pitted thermostat housing to use in place of the still new in box unit (that has no ridge).

Installed the new Fluidampr from 440 source. Thing is built like a brick sh!t house
80.jpg

Cleaned up all the welds on the rear trunk area. Modified the catch base to align the bar. Trimmed some unnecessary bits off. Sliced some hard nylon tube spacers to place in the gap between the catch bar base and the underside of the center of the trunk rail platform, ran some machine bolts down through them and nuts on the bottom side. Tightened up and the center of the platform is rock solid. Now I can take the tail light body out and it will all stay in place. Got everything ready to primer up so I can get the filler started. Cleaned up the shop.

Got the new headlight hose kit installed tonight. Nicely made kit. It was harder on my back leaning in the bay routing everything than it was to figure out where everything went. Herniated a lumbar disc 12 years ago and still paying the price...but still feel fortunate to be able to enjoy this hobby for 35 years.

20200610_211408.jpg

Painted the battery black. I hated the yellow/blue one in the engine bay. It's a good brand, made in Australia, just looked out of place. Hope I don't need a warranty claim....
20181122_132520.jpg

20200611_111818.jpg

Deleted the pot metal quarter ends and gaskets and Aaron hand made full metal with no seams.

FC7D2D2E-4B6B-4721-86E4-9150965AAEB5.jpeg 958ECD0E-6DAD-4892-9DA5-880ECA19FE51.jpeg 872308F6-321B-4F03-9AF7-525596FB5D65.jpeg

Attending the local cruise-in with my wife this evening. Gorgeous weather finally.
FB_IMG_1592004054755.jpg

Crawled under Dodge and put drain plug in trans. I have a 3/8" squeeze bulb pump and thought it would be good to pump the oil into trans. wrong wrong, took 7 to 10 mins for 1 quart. UGH. Plan B hand pump tomorrow.
was going to check pinion angle but very tight may have to remove driveshaft? Put angle finder on driveshaft for ha ha's zero degrees like engine. Had rear end jacked like it was on the ground. Don't think it tells me anything until I measure angle of yoke? Was thinking of removing snubber and put angle finder on that, it should be parallel to pinion?? True?

Had some office stuff to catch up on today, so I left the work truck at home.....some places do 'casual-dress Friday', if I don't have to be out on a jobsite it's a 'Mopar Friday'.
20200522_211238.jpg

Pulled my drive-train today to fix a leaky rear main seal. This time, I dropped the whole K-member assembly onto my welding work bench. A regular transmission jack held the transmission. It worked great and I never needed to crawl around like a worm! Once out, I simply unbolted the bellhousing and slid the tranny back, then lifted the engine onto a transport crate.

View from the back
20200612_144229.jpg

Here is a side view once the whole assembly was pulled forward
20200612_150839.jpg

Here is the engine on the transport crate. I will load it into my truck a week from Monday and then put a new cam and rear main seal in the car.
20200612_163727.jpg

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back