• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your Mopar today?

repaired my cracked steering wheel

FZZkcy88TjuMmkAbqwIhag.jpg

Attempting more metal work using my 96K1500 Porta-power.
First coat of rattle can primer filler, Its not pretty, need lots of filling and blocking (or a real body guy) to finish.
I tacked in a piece of metal to fill the hole pictured but forgot to take a photo of the patch.

20190316_153848.jpg 20190328_070922.jpg

q1mf2q6.jpg

Went out last night just after 1 a.m., virtually no traffic on this route totaling roughly 33-35 miles round trip in just under an hour driving time @ 35 - 60 mph.

Sepulveda Blvd. (parallel to the 405 FWY, South to Wilshire Blvd.) is always a lot of fun, all suspension upgrades make a huge difference on that road.
I think I may need to eventually swap the bench out and get buckets seats with a bigger harness to keep me in my seat.

City driving at night is great when there is no one else on the road.

Got the rear bumper aligned and tight. Got one quarter-glass in, but the replacement plastic-parts are wrong. All that work, and it's gotta come apart for the wrong **** sold to me. Installed some fancy lighting, also.

Last edited:
Put the `cuda emblem on the back of the car, and installed a license-plate frame from the original dealer the car sold at, new. Should have the bumper-guard trim and valance on tomorrow. That'll complete the rear of the car. YEA!!!

2rrozfc.jpg

Last edited:
Fixed one of my mistakes. Last fall I installed the instrument cluster. I refaced all the gauges and the odometer wheel myself, and obviously the little lock that holds the drum in was loose. This spring I noticed the odometer wheel fell out. Had to pull the cluster partially, take off the bezel, take out the speedo, and fix it.:( I added 2 wires to the power window wiring harness for power locks. I know they weren't available on a 68 RT, but mine will be operated by remote only, and thus not visible to anyone.
odo1.jpg
odo2.jpg

Roof rails and their seals in place.. now to figure out how to put the vent wing frame, post, etc all back together again...
beerestoration2019 2587.JPG

Last edited:
My mirror was missed on the "to be rechromed" ship out so it's gonna have to do as is.. well after 2.5 hours of power polishing anyhow. No where near perfect, full of small pits from 50 years of neglect, but it'll do at least for now.
beerestoration2019 2636.JPG

I use my floor jack and a small piece of plywood. Put the plywood on the jack lift, tank on the plywood jack it up to where I can get the filler tube started
jack it up to where it holds hook up the straps , check the tube tighten down the straps

Loaded 2 of my original front brake drums in the car to have them measured. Years ago was told they were cut to the limit. Went to NAPA, they sold there brake drum grinder and measuring gauge 4 months ago. Went to backup garage, closed, why?? Call tomorrow.

I knew the floors had issues just from the underside view but once the carpet came up it was obvious just how crusty they are. Someone had laid in some fiberglass mat previously as well.

I have floor pans on order and started cutting out the old. Drivers side needs a full replacement. Passenger side is ok behind the front seat mounts. Rockers seem really solid, so that’s a nice surprise.

I’m looking forward to the job(s) but just bummed that it will be a while before I get to drive it again.

I've been cutting out the old passenger side floor and preparing to weld back in the new. Old floor is completely out and trimming the new to fit.

"While I'm in there" I also decided to take the opportunity to remove the interior quarter 'door cards,' pads, windows and regulators. Cleaned all the 50-year-old fossilized grease out of the regulator and did my best to salvage the plastic rollers. Ordered some replacements from Partsmix and a set of outer window whiskers. I did snap the 2 bolts holding the glass into the aluminum frame on the driver's side, though. :( I wasn't wrenching on them too hard, honest! They were just quite rusted to begin with, at least that's my story.

Replaced the ignition lock and switch on the Dakota. While I had the plastic off I figured I would change the ugly brown plastic to black. Putting it back together is proving to be a pita. Had to repaint parts because I scratched them up.
Yes, I know its not a B body but its a MoPar.

Got rid a clunking noise in the passenger quarter window. Installed the remote door lock actuators. Drilled the holes for and installed the power window stops. For those unfamiliar, for some reason these stops are put in cars with power windows. There are two dimples on the bottom of each door that locate where to drill the holes.
wstop.jpg

6 long hours today farting around getting door glass sliding in both vent frames and one door glass assembly in.. set up.. tightened in place and the cats whiskers in place! Thankfully my wife walked in the shop while I was fighting the third attempt at install and could hold the lock end of the glass while I made sure the vent window rubber seal didn't jam up at the A pillar. May have saved 2 hours if I'd just called her to help in the first place... :rolleyes:
beerestoration2019 2981.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back