• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the best brand of riding lawn mower?

I purchased an Ingersoll back in 1991 and that tractor is still running great. The Ingersoll is the old Case IH brand. Everything on this tractor is steel except for a few plastic parts. 16 HP Briggs V twin that runs great. I purchased it when I lived in the Midwest and brought it with me to the Southeast many years ago. My neighbor is on his third tractor since I lived here. He keeps buying the less expensive big box store tractors and the Ingersoll just keeps running and approaching 700 hours on the meter. I couldn't find a photo or I would have posted it.

I cant complain about a murray i only have 1/4 of an acre to mow with it i bought a used one off my friend for $100 put a battery in it and used it for 3 yrs till a piston or rod went . when my friend had it he used to mow 3 acres with it for 10 yrs i have another murray that was my sister in laws its about 10 years old it needs a spindle bearing but still runs great. these are 12 hp 42 in cut my wife just bought me a new craftsman a month ago on sale for $1500 its a LT 3000 46 in cut with a 21 hp briggs/stratton . it says its made by husquarva i take pretty good care of them so hopefully this should be the last one ill need ,

I had a John Deere {can't remember the model #, it was kind of a big one, you could add a bunch of attachments to it, more like a small tractor, than just a riding mower} but I didn't pay for it, my girls bought it for me, when I lived down in the valley/Rancho Murieta Ca., when had a couple of big lawns, but it was too big for me to store & use properly {I had tiered lawns, it was impractical}, now it's up at my sister's ranch in Red Bluff now too, she bought a bunch of the new farm/ranch attachments for it also, it's probably 15+ years old now, still runs like a Deere....

Attachments

• John Deere tractor-riding Mower.jpg
    John Deere tractor-riding Mower.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 178
Ive had a Kubota for about 5 years and i love it.. It has about 80 hours on it now which isint to many considering its getting old.. I have a Wheelhorse thats older then I that i use to plow snow, for 20+ years the snow blower we just got as the Wheel horse needs a back tire and new chains and my brother in law sold it to us very reasonable so i have a back up with plowing., i don't know about the newer Wheel horse garden tractors but its hard to beat the old ones!

Picture2017020Small_zpsf72864b9.jpg

Gravely....8163-B....had it since 86. I think it's an 84. Rebuilt the deck once and replaced the PTO clutch one time which was a PITA but other than that, it just keeps going.

I have Deere and Kubota and love them both. Not cheap but you can get parts for them 20 years from now. Don't get the box store Deere, junk.
Wayne

went to a john deere dealer

tumblr_mvr9m3DwfJ1rzqento1_500.jpg

Mmmmmm........... leaning that way......

I'll tell you not only the best brand but best model and year of manufacture.

1971 Allis Chalmers 310 lawn tractor. Best made lawn equipment known to man

would you like to buy one?

01515_1CTmrD4lfFv_600x450.jpg

Something for your viewing pleasure. Kind of a homage to Cars N Girls forever banished to the Gold side if you will. I call it girls and tractors ;0

View attachment 151908

what is the other one that's next to it:eusa_think:

Murray. 2nd best lawn equipment next to 1971 Allis Chalmers 310's

100_5821.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Attachments

• 400_series1x1.jpg
    400_series1x1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 216
I take it your wife and children threaten to put you on the next episode of Hoarding if you didn't try to get rid of a few items :banana: you know I think you are having a good time this weekend :eusa_whistle:

Anything with a cast-iron engine, early 90's and prior. All the rest of the parts for those are supported. Anything with a Honda motor is a good second choice also. My BF runs a 76 Murray, and swears by it. Parts still readily available.
Yes, I know, some may feel silly in a McMansion neighborhood, riding a 30 year-old mower. But yours is still the one that runs, and isn't in the shop during the one time of year you need it! You don't need no cup-holders on your mower! Real men do shots!

Well, I finally made a choice.. No more John deer,I had a 48’ deck now a 2013 Massey Ferguson 2500 Series Lawn Tractor - 22 HP, 44” Deck.........I had to ride over the snow to put it in the shed......

MF_2500series_bty.jpg
[video=youtube;eJ1rEay2Y2o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ1rEay2Y2o[/video]

Last edited:
Bought my John Deere from a dealer as well. Mow about an acre of our yard. Snow blow with it all winter long, using weights & chains. Use it for other yard work like spreading, hauling/moving timber, garden work. Around 450 hours on it, zero issues. Great Machine.

Nice mower Pops! Good luck.

Mowers are like anything else, their lifespan is directly proportional to how well they are taken care of. Having said that, I have a 25 year old Murray (18 horse B&S) that runs like a watch and has only required an ignition switch, a starter gear (plastic) and batteries. (the tires will need replaced this fall) My father-in-law bought a box store Cub Cadet and she's like an old Harley. You have to work on her for an hour to get two hours of mowing. :)

Good luck with your purchase.

The Massey Fergusons look like good tractors. The problem for me is the nearest MF dealer for me is up in Canada somewhere. Hope it works good for you Pops.

I have a 42" cut Husquavrna with a Kohler engine. I mow 2-3 acres just change oil and blades. I got it at Lowes on a close out sales at the start of season, that was 7 years ago. What ever you get made sure it has a Kohler engine. Will never have a B&S engine again.

Auto Transport Service
Back