• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshied Drains Into Interior

Over at allpar there used to be a retired body shop man who worked at a Chrysler dealer throughout the 60s to 80s. He claimed every mopar sold at his dealership had a leaking trunk.
My rear window channel still had a tiny hole that would leak but that stopped it after sealing it up. Now, it's just the windshield.

For you guys thinking you can just leave the door open or the windows down to dry wet carpet, that works. However, after 6 months I still had very wet insulation under the carpet and would have had rusted new floors (which had been replaced about 5 years ago) if I hadn't recently removed the carpet and that insulation.

Like what's been said already, these windshields are a pain to seal, very poor design. Mine was professionally installed 3 times and it still leaked! After some advice from members I found that they require a bedding compound for the lower portion of the seal lay in, last time I did it myself and got it sealed up. I'll see if I can find what I used.

Here it is, not everybody sells it but Summit does if you can't find it elsewhere. Having done mine I don't ever want to do it again, that bedding compound is like runny roofing tar!!! I had it all over me:eek:
Screenshot_20180326-111238.png

Here it is, not everybody sells it but Summit does if you can't find it elsewhere. Having done mine I don't ever want to do it again, that bedding compound is like runny roofing tar!!! I had it all over me:eek:View attachment 587630
The glass man I used has over 50 years experience. He used some kind of sealant like what you recommend. I would go back to him but I really thought he was going to have a heart attack working in the summer heat installing my windshield. We were in his home shop with no AC.

I replaced my wind shield rubber cause of leak , and it still leaks, my glass guy who is really good says that the design is not good and we might need to caulk it. well ... it leaks , so I'm going to put some silicone and hope for the best.

Don't use silicone ! It is acidic and will cause more harm. Get a tube of 3m 08509 Auto Bedding and Glazing Compound and do it right. The gasket should be bedded all along the windshield base and 4" up the sides plus both upper corners. If it is leaking in pretty good this is most likely the problem area. If your windshield steams up and weeps water it may need bedding compound in the glass channel (unlock bead from gasket and flow compound into glass channel and re lock). It will be messy but it cleans up pretty good.

Here it is, not everybody sells it but Summit does if you can't find it elsewhere. Having done mine I don't ever want to do it again, that bedding compound is like runny roofing tar!!! I had it all over me:eek:View attachment 587630

That's the correct stuff and it is messy but it works. After my windshield was set, I squirted more in below the gasket in the trim clip channel and added it in the glass channel itself. Cleaned up with a roll of paper towels and glass cleaner. I've driven it plenty in the rain with no leaks.

Another reason why I leave that work to the professionals. I just checked my receipt. I paid $120.00 labor plus $16.00 each for the urethane kits for both the windshield and back glass install. Plenty expensive but no leaks and they did it in my shop.

You can order 8509 from NAPA, at least in Canada. Is exactly what I used to install my windshield. Only mess I had is like most **** caulking tubes more material ends up leaking out all over the gun plunger than onto the subject at hand! I ended up using less than 1/2 of a tube and 1/2 of that is stuck around the plunger!

beerestoration2017 1478.JPG beerestoration2017 1548.JPG beerestoration2017 1557.JPG beerestoration2017 1603.JPG

Last edited:
Another reason why I leave that work to the professionals. I just checked my receipt. I paid $120.00 labor plus $16.00 each for the urethane kits for both the windshield and back glass install. Plenty expensive but no leaks and they did it in my shop.
I gave the professionals 3 shots then I was over It! Amazes me that they don't even research the details before coming out.

You can order 8509 from NAPA, at least in Canada. Is exactly what I used to install my windshield. Only mess I had is like most **** caulking tubes more material ends up leaking out all over the gun plunger than onto the subject at hand! I ended up using less than 1/2 of a tube and 1/2 of that is stuck around the plunger!

View attachment 587648 View attachment 587649 View attachment 587651 View attachment 587652
Thanks will be ordering some today, I just fixed the floor and insualted it so don't want it to get wet
after that I attack the trunk leak , the seal is hard like rock so will be getting new one and hop in the trunk with a light to see if any other water is coming in

I gave the professionals 3 shots then I was over It! Amazes me that they don't even research the details before coming out.
I guess I was lucky to have the shop I used. They do all of the glass installation for Muscle Car Restorations here locally so they have tons of experience with old mopars. Maybe after a few re-do's that is how they learned to do it right the first time.

I'm buying a new AMD windshield and new gasket. I found a local installer who knew about the bedding compound and Mopar installation of a gasketed windshield. He also said about 9 in 10 will leak somewhere and has to keep at it until he has no more leaks.

I'm shopping today and will have this done in the next 30 days.

Thanks for all your replies.

Over at allpar there used to be a retired body shop man who worked at a Chrysler dealer throughout the 60s to 80s. He claimed every mopar sold at his dealership had a leaking trunk.
Back in the 80's, I drove a 70 Satellite convertible for 4 years in college. It was never garaged, driven in rain storms, snow, you name it. It NEVER leaked and it was a ragtop !!!

just pulled that glass off now , very nervous , anyway we got it, prepping the surface now

IMG_3823.JPG

How do you pull the old windshield? I would like to do that part myself so I have time to clean the dash before the installer gets started.

How do you pull the old windshield? I would like to do that part myself so I have time to clean the dash before the installer gets started.

Are you replacing the gasket? If yes, easiest way is to use a razor knife and cut the gasket around the glass. This minimizes chances of breaking the windshield. If no, you have to unlock the locking strip and work the glass out starting at the top corners, which can be a bear as the gasket hardens with age.

I replaced it last year cause it was hard and leaking
but it just tamed it a bit , reusing the rubber that's why I was nervous , to bust it , but my glass guy who does all my classic British and Italian stuff is
being doing it for 30 years and is the best I know in the business.
we sealed it up with the 3m stuff and fitting it in now, we primered the edges

Auto Transport Service
Back