• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

yellow jackets......

I hate yellow jackets. They are wasps. I love Bumble Bee’s. That are very docile, and rarely sting. They just look all scary.

My friend had a nest of yellow jackets in her block foundation wall. They were coming in and out a small hole where conduit once was. I mean they were coming in and out in the hundreds.

Billy the Exterminator on TV always used a spray with Permethrin in it. I found this powder with it that they'll track into their nest. Kills them in a day or two. I waited until after dark and applied it into and around the hole. Did the trick. (Found it at True Value Hardware)
IMG-0299_2048x2048.jpg

I hate yellow jackets. They are wasps. I love Bumble Bee’s. That are very docile, and rarely sting. They just look all scary.

You wouldn't say that if you would encounter the little ground bumble bees. The ones you see on clover in your yard. Mean, relentless little critters if you disturb their nest.

I ran into one of those wasps last summer while working on our camper. I started backing away from it and it just zeroed in on my left hand and stung me on the thumb before I could get out of the way. I kept working for a little bit, then I got short of breath. I had my wife drive me down to the firehouse (no ambulance or hospital for me!) and I had the paramedics check me out. My breathing recovered soon after I got there and all my vitals were ok. But my hand started swelling up, and I had the sense to take my wedding ring off. Good thing, because my hand swelled up like a corpse's. I would have had to have my ring cut off if I hadn't removed it in time. I iced it the rest of the night and all was better after about 24 hours, but I couldn't get my ring back on for several weeks. I used to leave the wasps alone as long as they weren't bothering me, but now I go out of my way to kill them whenever I see them. I can't risk an allergic reaction. Who knows what the next sting will bring. I leave the bees alone, though. They aren't usually aggressive like the wasps, and we need the bees.

You wouldn't say that if you would encounter the little ground bumble bees. The ones you see on clover in your yard. Mean, relentless little critters if you disturb their nest.
These guys here. I had a forsythia bush in the front yard, and it would attract hundreds of them when it was blooming. You could pet them right on the back, and they didn’t seem to care. They would usually just fly away. They live in the ground as well, and if you got near their nest they might get aggressive.
A490BF02-9799-4C8A-A48C-BBFC53D2E3C4.jpeg
D7368EDB-85B0-4D75-ACE5-6D9B94D8647B.jpeg
2AC3F327-D9EA-4106-80CD-66FB3A2D5AF1.jpeg

th.jpeg-34.jpg

When the Home Depot stuff fails, go to plan FT!! Hey, the Pinelands fire smoke will give you cover!! JUST SAYIN!!

Yellow Jackets are terrible here this year, never seen this many. They have said its due to the heat we have had here. I dont know why, I just know I hate them!!

not declaring victory yet, but traffic in the area is way down...... I'll get some more dust hit them again......as I said, I cannot see the nest or an entry hole; but the dusting has had an effect.

I had yellow jackets behind a piece of trim last year, out of my reach...... I called someone and he blew the dust directly into the hole, I never saw another one.

Little bastards! I've been hit by wasps/hornets/yellow jackets many times. The worst thing is they will sting you, hover close by, taunt you, and then sting you again. And possibly numerous times. They aren't one-and-done stingers like bees are.

And a tip, don't ever smash one with your shoe or something that you keep close to you because if he had any buddies nearby they'll pickup the pheromones from his squished body and come at you with full anger. I grabbed one in my garage once with a pair of pliers. Within a few minutes there were several others ramming the glass window of the door trying to get at me...

Little bastards.

We have a lot of nests pop up at my MIL’s house. Good thing Mom had a decent stock of diazinon on hand. A teaspoon in a 5 gallon bucket, pour it down the hole at dusk, by morning there’s a little volcano of bees at the entrance.

I have a wasp nest on the underside of the metal shelving in my garage. Like most of us I have to much stuff and no locks on the door. Anyone going in and being the slightest bit rough will get a dose of my theft deterant system. I go past them and we just look at each other.

I meant to dust them a second time the other night, but got sidetracked........yesterday, I saw ZERO traffic in the area.......still not looking to jinx myself by declaring victory, but victory is definitely within reach

update: yeah...... yellow ******** were no match....... but this? WTF! It's a freakin' tarantula

IMG_20230920_021226965.jpg

After my wife made fun of my bbqing skills, she took over and the bees behind the grill didn't appreciate it. :lol:

Screenshot_20230920_070217_Message+.jpg

Last year I took out 8 nests from the house eaves. It was impossible to enjoy a meal on the deck all year. This year only two so far. I may be winning the war.

Bumble bees. They are fat and fun. Wasps, hornets, and Yellow Jackets, not so much.

299759595_5741596905853531_6982466092443414112_n.jpg2.jpg

I found out that non chlorinated brake cleaner kills them on contact. I insert the red straw into the nozzle and can spray the things from several feet away. It's cheaper and fun to shoot them out of the air while relaxing. Sprayed it in a fence post hole and it killed every yellow jacket in there instantly.
Terry W.

Auto Transport Service
Back