• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your opinion on Patina?

0420212134.jpg

0420212135_HDR.jpg

0419211856.jpg

0419211856a.jpg

Paint still has stains in it, and thin spots. Vinyl top has threadbare spots, and tears, and some shrink spots pulling away from the edges. "Patina"? Maybe. Definitely character. And I love it. Don't see any need to repaint it.

0617212053_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with patina cars. Many people have multiple projects in various stages and/or lack of capital. I find original patina'd cars interesting. But fake patina..... that's just not desirable to me.

What makes me want to barf is rust holes and spray can fake surface rust and clearing over a mess, you know like the popular car shows did on TV. Bunch of hacks is what they were.

patina is really not for me . it looks cool in some places , an old pick up or tractor…. maybe an older passenger car (30’s- 50’s ) but on a muscle car it doesn’t work . not big on the rat rod thing either….

Maybe it would be different today as “patina is a style,” but I will never be into it. Reminds me too much of when I was starting out in the hobby and couldn’t afford a nice car. I’d fix as I go, knowing it would have to stay that way awhile.

It was an open invitation for dickheads to harass me about selling. Must be a cheap car since bad paint, right? I was followed home, blocked from leaving my home when a loser would see me outside and think it was ok to come try and buy my car, accosted at the gas pump, guys would get in my car at the body shop when I got something like a rusty back glass area worked to seal it up and stop the cancer, etc.

Worst was guys that would seem to be friendly car folks, then I would cringe as it was revealed it was just running some game to ask “the question.”

Nicer the car, less or never it happens. Learned that as I got better stuff.

Only annoyance these days is guys will now walk up and immediately ask what I paid for my car. You can screw right off for asking that, buddy. That didn’t happen with my decent car about a dozen years ago. I blame all the flipper shows and auctions for this.

Since I have Hagerty as my insurance company I get their magazine. It's usually great. This time it was called The Patina Issue. Lots of articles about cars with mostly surface rust, old paint, missing chrome, and some battle scars. In considering what they were saying I think some cars can get away with it and some can't. There was a 1st gen Mustang that was set up for road racing that looked pretty cool in its imperfect state and an old Cadillac that was pulling it off pretty well. I can see leaving a historic race car in its original unrestored condition.

Maybe younger hot rodders are into more than me. I watch a channel called BryceCold where he is running a pretty cruddy 1970 Coronet with a modern Hemi.

I just don't think my cars would look good with patina. What about you folks?
They are only original once...

My Roadrunner still has some original paint, I like the survivor look.........
1706226831101.jpeg
1705929317063.png

1706226861481.jpeg
1706226804096.jpeg

Last edited:
Clones are fine. Patina is fine. People shouldn't care what others think. If opinions mattered much, I think most people would be butt-hurt... most of the time.

I won't paint it.

View attachment 1550795

I did buff the crap out of it (it had all the shine of a pool table when I got it)...but I won't paint it. Looks good from 10' but when you get close you can see stains in the paint from having crap sit on it for years in a carport and you can see thin spots in the paint:

View attachment 1550796

View attachment 1550797

View attachment 1550798

The sides are wavy and the vinyl top is shrinking and tearing

View attachment 1550799

But I don't care.

I can drive it and enjoy it, without paranoia.

True patina, I like. It tells a story. It's...REAL. The fake stuff? Not so much.

The jury is still out on how I'll eventually finish my wagon...

View attachment 1550800

The sides are currently black primer due to decades of use and abuse and body scar fixes (dings, dents, scrapes, side molding removal)...I may just give it a few good wipes with a rag soaked in brakleen to get the original F7 Sherwood Green to show through, and leave it. We'll see.
that's a great looking green. I would leave as-is as well. What color code green is that?

My thought is to each their own. I have shiny cars but my favorite is my J code GTX. It's on old street racer that was missing it's hemi when we got it. We left it the way we found it, including the wheels and put a new drivetrain in it. I drive the snot out of it and don't have to worry about a rock chip or rubber on the quarters.

View attachment 1553175View attachment 1553181View attachment 1553182View attachment 1553183
that's a great looking car. Love the stance and motor. What tire sizes are you running front and rear?

For those "is it for sale people".
Yes, yes it is.
Inevitably "how much".
I always have a number in my head to spit out, around 2-3 times what it is worth.
You either get I could buy a nice one for less than that....well there's your answer. Or if it goes a step further and I explain that I need that much to buy 2 cars and a crate hemi for one, the other I'm letting them off the hook because I have more regular 440s.

Man, took you long enough to chime in :poke: . LOL
Thought of you several times throughout this thread.
Hope all is well man :thumbsup:
I got a tad busy retiring from the Marine Corps, also started building a 65 f100, so I haven't been on here in while.

I got a tad busy retiring from the Marine Corps, also started building a 65 f100, so I haven't been on here in while.
Neither sounds like you're doing all that bad man...
Congratulations and big salute to you sir.
And thanks for serving our country :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Over rated. Then there is the matter of degree. My old wreck isn’t getting painted. So, scraped driver quality is acceptable. Painted in 1988, then touched up about 6 times.

3B981E3A-7FF8-41DF-B5BA-3B09F931296B.png

Auto Transport Service
Back