• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Source Stealth Cylinder Heads

You are correct Sir. I always thought polish exhaust ports slick but not intakes? but I am old and stuff changes.
Well tried it both ways 10 hp difference. I would like to ask IQ52 or Dwayne Porter their opinion? Would be interesting. I was with Tom Kole that flowed and ported heads for Barton and we saw a bit better with the ribs cleaned away. We didn't change the port shape at all.

It's all about time and money. Isn't the CNC bit a small ball? The 'ribs' are in there because you can CNC the port quicker by making bigger steps in the machining process and save time in porting the head. Therefor you can port more heads in less time and time is money. With the depths of the ribs, the head should flow better with them polished out. Nobody ever paid me to take them out so they stayed in. My time costs money. Dig it?

It's all about time and money. Isn't the CNC bit a small ball? The 'ribs' are in there because you can CNC the port quicker by making bigger steps in the machining process and save time in porting the head. Therefor you can port more heads in less time and time is money. With the depths of the ribs, the head should flow better with them polished out. Nobody ever paid me to take them out so they stayed in. My time costs money. Dig it?
Very well said. I just wanted to share with my fellow Mopar enthusiasts the findings that I saw. If it can help someone else with their build that's great by me. We all want our cars to run better. And I can say others have helped me out as well so I'm returning some knowledge that I acquired.

Damn
Very well said. I just wanted to share with my fellow Mopar enthusiasts the findings that I saw. If it can help someone else with their build that's great by me. We all want our cars to run better. And I can say others have helped me out as well so I'm returning some knowledge that I acquired.
, I should have polished out the ribs in mine.

I have been looking at getting myself a set of 440 Source Stealth aluminum heads for my street/strip 440. I have used 915's for the past 18 years but I would like to give the Stealth heads a go. I would like to hear from others who use or have used these heads and let me know what you think of them and provide your engine combination. Thanks!

I put them on my 440 with flattop pistons and right out of the gate I have lowered my compression because they have the 84 cc combustion chambers and I was running 73 cc combustion chambers before ..... ok no big deal
Then the pushrods that I wanted to upgrade to 3/8” pushrods and you have to clearance the heads for that and it took a lot more clearancing and then when I did a whole lot I was afraid to go any further and I just put the 5/16 pushrods back in......in heck with it
I run a solid roller cam from comp cams with 292 duration 565 left edelbrock torquer to intake Holly 850 some nice summit headers and so on
I transferred over to my double valve springs and shamed them properly on their heads no problem they’re looking pretty great then I noticed the oil drain back holes and there is a problem there in my opinion there’s four places for the oil to drain back to the valley with these heads that’s a quarter inch diameter hole which is halfway blocked by the valley of the engine the whole doesn’t even come in clearing so it’s got a ledge and it blocks half of it off you would have to grind a block and put a hole in the head gasket for it to drain properly it’s probably not a problem for stock type engines but for racing I think it’s going to become a problem in those heads aren’t designed for that they’re designed for putting on a stock engine with hydraulic lifters that’s my belief anyway
Last year with a 413 engine with flat tops in stock cast-iron heads and that set up with that camp I was running 1270s solid with my van so this year I put those heads on it and everything else is basically the same but I’m sure my compression is down from what it was

Over 3 years later I still have not swapped out my 915 heads. I have resolved to go with the Trick Flow Power Port 240 Top End kit when the time is right.

I have a set ready to be installed on my 451 that we are building. I can say this - my machinist took a look at them and out of the box the seats all looked good and were concentric. The seat pressures of the springs were all over the place so he had to go through and shim them, but once set, they were plenty for my cam which is a touch over 500 lift, as long as I don't rev it to the moon.
I ended up getting my 383 stroked to 496 and getting a set of heads from Bruce Toth. Ported and polished, really quality heads from him. Runs VERY strong and everything fit up like a dream.

Auto Transport Service
Back