• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

500 mile trip in my buddy's new car (No mopar but still cool)

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:48 AM
Reaction score
My buddy bought a low mileage 1990 Lincoln Mark VII Bill Blass edition a few months ago as his new daily driver. This weekend we did a trip from munich area (germany) to zuerich (switzerland).
He also let me drive it quite a bit. :thumbsup:

The interior is very comfortable, looks great & expensive, too.
People are constantly staring where ever the car appears... :D (Which i did not expect at this extent, they probably think its a rolls royce or something. :D)

Its based on the foxbody mustang and also got the same 5.0 liter V8 so it pulls pretty good.
But of course it's got the air bag suspension and being the bill blass edition its geared towards luxury, not sportiness.
(So yes there is quite a bit of body roll such as "over assisted" brakes and steering, the lsc will probably be stiffer and better handling, but thats not what my buddy wanted.)
Interestingly enough the airbag suspension feels a lot like my 69 charger that got leaf springs and torsion bars when going over bumps. :D

I was driving it on the autobahn only (had it up to 100mph *, its totally stable up there) so i can't really say to much about the handling yet (except the stated above) but i'm sure i will be able to take it on a twisty road sometime in the future.

We will also compare it against my 89 560 SEC as soon as its fixed.
But from what i've seen so far i think i would have gone with the lincoln back in the days. I just cant justify the price difference between the two and lincoln even gave you the choice between luxury (bill blass in this case) or sportiness (lsc) depending on what you wanted. :)

* It can go faster, but my buddy did not want to exceed 100 mph for now.

Its a great car overall, only real drawback i think is the body/design would look better if the car would be larger. Like the mark IV for example. For me it looks a bit "compressed".
But on the other hand if it was larger he would not be able to fit the car in his garage...

Pictures below have been taken in austria where we found a late model town car and a 90s chevy on the side of the road. :)

So yeah its not mopar or b body related but i thought to share it anyway. :)

VII 1.jpeg
VII 2.jpeg

glad you and your friend had a good trip.

Sounds like a fun time.
Thanks for the pics.

My 1989 560 SEC is back from the shop so we did a little comparison along with another road trip this weekend. (See Pictures)

We also did a few 0-40mph sprints to check out which is faster which was quite fun. :D
Well my mercedes turned out to be faster...

Also on my way back home on the autobahn i've seen a BMW 750il (e32).
This thing probably had the V12 engine (or did even all of them have the V12? I dont know...) because i tried really hard (was going 150mph) but was not able to pass it...
Wanted to give the owner a thumbs up but my 560 SEC simply wasn't fast enough. :D

IMG-1020.jpg

(Side by side)

IMG-1014.jpg

(Sorry for the crappy car in the background :D)

All Pictures:

img_1009xmjax.jpg
img_1010htjjr.jpg
img_1011v6k11.jpg
img_1014efjl9.jpg
img_10157mje2.jpg
img_1016z4k4n.jpg
img_101722k02.jpg
img_10197ik2r.jpg
img_1020oxk3o.jpg
img_1023zikyt.jpg
img_1029e6jha.jpg
img_1038jgjsb.jpg
img_10422ujrl.jpg

Last edited:
My 1989 560 SEC is back from the shop so we did a little comparison along with another road trip this weekend. (See Pictures)

We also did a few 0-40mph sprints to check out which is faster which was quite fun. :D
Well my mercedes turned out to be faster...

Also on my way back home on the autobahn i've seen a BMW 750il (e32).
This thing probably had the V12 engine (or did even all of them have the V12? I dont know...) because i tried really hard (was going 150mph) but was not able to pass it...
Wanted to give the owner a thumbs up but my 560 SEC simply wasn't fast enough. :D

View attachment 1089780
(Side by side)

View attachment 1089781
(Sorry for the crappy car in the background :D)

All Pictures:

img_1009xmjax.jpg
img_1010htjjr.jpg
img_1011v6k11.jpg
img_1014efjl9.jpg
img_10157mje2.jpg
img_1016z4k4n.jpg
img_101722k02.jpg
img_10197ik2r.jpg
img_1020oxk3o.jpg
img_1023zikyt.jpg
img_1029e6jha.jpg
img_1038jgjsb.jpg
img_10422ujrl.jpg

Is the car on the right a Chrysler EEK model?:rofl:

Nice! The Fox platform shares the platform with several other cars from the smaller Mustang and bigger....but they are all still Ferds lol :D Sorry but I got my fill with the Ford name with the last one I owned being a 79 Mudstain. It was a reliable car but that was about it and probably because it didn't have enough power to break anything.

They are both good cars.
Design is up to personal taste.
I would say the lincoln is even more comfortable and has very light steering and brakes (im not talking about the LSC version) so that makes it a better luxury car.
The mercedes on the other hand is faster and has more direct steering and brakes. Makes it somewhat more of a sports car than the lincoln. But then again i'm not talking about the sporty LSC version of the lincoln. Its probably acting more like the mercedes.

So to ultimatively answer the question "which is better?" i would also need to drive an LSC mark VII.
But Bill Blass VII vs 560 SEC i would say:
Lincoln if you focus more on comfort/luxury and mercedes if the performance is more important to you.
That said i pretty much bet the LSC version performs pretty similar to the mercedes.
So if someone is in the market for one of these i would say get the one that you think looks better. (LSC vs. 560 SEC)

Also keep in mind that at the end of the day both of these cars are mainly luxury coupes, not sports cars.
And according to my opinion, the lincoln wins in that department.

What i dont know is if the lincoln is also suited for driving 130mph for extended periods of time.
Its no problem for the 560 SEC (i'm doing it for years), but i have no data or experience on the Mark VII.

Auto Transport Service
Back