• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

541 street strip motor, TF 270 heads, Weiand P3690982 cross ram or???

Thanks guys for your posts. That is one of the threads my buddy Jim Laroy linked to.
It also seems like Hughes was WAY ahead of other shops back in 2012 on 6bbl builds, tweaking, and tuning.
I just checked my fuel pressure at fast idle, appx 1,200 RPMs, and it's higher than it should be. It's the most often recommended mechanical fuel pump to replace the stock mech pump, the legendary Carter M6903! It's supposed to be stock pressure, but it is at an indicated 7-9 psi and it should be 4-6 psi, so I'm concerned about that.

Even with an automatic in a street car, things can happen fast. I've sprayed 200 on top of 600 and the 1-2 shift is lightning fast. I have eased my way into this combo coming from a mild 440 to a 440 with good cam and headers to 505 with good heads and now some nitrous.

My car is capable of 2.1 0-60 mph. That bests almost every supercar out there on the streets. It isn't for amateurs or the faint of heart!

I found that out on the '69 Cuda race car, was running 10.7's NA and sprayed a 175 big shot at it to run a 9 which was my goal, I hit it all off the line and the revs went straight to 7krpm, couldn't grab 2nd fast enough, had a 4800stall in it, S$it the life outa me some, ran the 9.96 I wanted but those 6-pk rods went to 7500rpm@the traps, that was when I dirtied my trousers again:D

from 1.13 and 1.30 in

Last edited:
Lots of reading...
Looks like the ModMan isn't a bad choice, especially with the large displacement strokers. Promax uses them on a number of their builds, and hog the runners out to Max Wedge port size.
So either the factory 6bbl intake I have now or the Indy ModMan.
So far away from being ready for that because of the cost of the build, but I'll leave it up to my builder to decide: TF 240s or TF 270s, and which intake.
I like the idea of using the ModMan if I ever switch to the F&B direct port injection 3x2 TBI EFI system, but I already have the Edelbrock/Chrysler aluminum 6bbl intake, so either one is ok with me.
Thanks again for all the replies!

Well I have been offered the Weiand P3690982 6bbl intake, already modded per the drawings and descriptions for use with carburetors, and it's in great condition. I got it at a price that I should have no problem reselling at if I decide it's not for me. Someone unassociated with the seller assures me that the Weiand will work with the N96 Air Grabber, but the underhood air box has to be trimmed.
I'm fine with that. My air box came off of a 70 Roadrunner too far gone to restore.
I guess it was inevitable that I have to try the Weiand, and like the ModMan, I can upgrade to direct port injection and 3x2 throttle body air intake system from F&B.
In the case of the Weiand, going DPI completely eliminates the issues most often associated with the intake, fuel puddling.
Thanks again for your help.
Pix of the intake will follow once I get it.

I’ve seen builds turn different directions based on a sudden windfall of money, a sudden “great deal” (which usually isn’t) and a general lack of a plan. This one seems to suffer from “analysis paralysis” as we can’t seem to firm up answers to those questions. At least we know the manual transmission is staying!! Haha
I think this plan was just altered by one of those good deals! Lol.

Well I have been offered the Weiand P3690982 6bbl intake, already modded per the drawings and descriptions for use with carburetors, and it's in great condition. I got it at a price that I should have no problem reselling at if I decide it's not for me. Someone unassociated with the seller assures me that the Weiand will work with the N96 Air Grabber, but the underhood air box has to be trimmed.
I'm fine with that. My air box came off of a 70 Roadrunner too far gone to restore.
I guess it was inevitable that I have to try the Weiand, and like the ModMan, I can upgrade to direct port injection and 3x2 throttle body air intake system from F&B.
In the case of the Weiand, going DPI completely eliminates the issues most often associated with the intake, fuel puddling.
Thanks again for your help.
Pix of the intake will follow once I get it.
I’m not saying there’s zero percent chance of this fitting under an air grabber hood, but I’m certain that just trimming the air box isn’t gonna get it done.
C6BEDC3A-18C1-4B12-B5A2-999F2BA118E7.jpeg

I guess I have to find out for myself on this one, or it's always going to bother me.
I've been so intrigued by the old aftermarket intakes I bought the ONE edition of the manual that has ALL of the notes, drawings, mods, and info in it.
20200108_125140.jpg
Here's the pix the seller posted of the intake:
Weiand 6-Pack Tunnel ram-9.jpg
Weiand 6-Pack Tunnel ram-8.jpg
440 6 PACK T RAM-1.jpg
440 6 PACK T RAM-2.jpg

I’m not saying there’s zero percent chance of this fitting under an air grabber hood, but I’m certain that just trimming the air box isn’t gonna get it done.
View attachment 892269

those were my thoughts, I had to go low deck just to get my A12 air cleaner to fit under my hood with just raised port Indy’s. I think you’d be doing good to even get the hood shut without an air cleaner with the weiand. I think you’d need a scoop to even do that. But hell, sometimes 2+2 doesn’t equal 4

Last edited:
I appreciate the help guys.
I'll have first hand knowledge of the fit soon enough.
I think the worst case scenario is it doesn't fit under the hood and I have to sell it, and I don't see any reason why I can't get what I paid for it.

Just bust out the Sawzall and do what it takes To make it fit Bio. :bananadance:

I’m here to help man! :thumbsup:

Just bust out the Sawzall and do what it takes To make it fit Bio. :bananadance:

I’m here to help man! :thumbsup:
Coarse tooth wood or fine tooth metal blade??
:lol:
I know, this coming from the guy who has sympathy for my car.:poke:
I have to see what this Weiand intake is like, in person. If I didn't think I could recoup what I'm buying it for, well I'd be more concerned.
There are other things I should be using that money for, like rear suspension parts, but it's a unique opportunity for me to get this one at this price. It's actually in a possession chain of a Chrysler engineer, so it's got some "heritage"...That alone should make it good for a 1/4 second off the 1320 ET, right?

ALL of those mods are reported and appear to have been done.
I was offered an untouched version for the same price.
I chose the modded one.
Check is in the mail...

So you'll use as modified to start then?
Yes. I have all 3 carbs modded with Promax parts: outboard carbs have jetable metering plates, center carb has the Promax metering block, and the rear carb has the angled idle mixture screws.
At least tweaks are easier.

Hi Bio, my mates just got his RR back from the shop, all done finished, just the cage to go in but he'll be taking it out on the road soon, I'll give you a run down on what it was like as per your requests and how much he frightened himself to death or not, its on D/radials 275/60/15, mono's/caltracs and calvert 9 ways.....4.10 gear, 727 (2.77 low gear), 3600>4400stall, 10:1CR, small 950DP, 695hp@5500>5900, [email protected] info.

90.jpg

phot upload

Last edited:
he'll be taking it out on the road soon, I'll give you a run down on what it was like as per your requests and how much he frightened himself to death or not
Thanks. Those are HP and torque numbers I would be happy with, especially if the torque band is in the 6XX+range for roughly 2,000 RPMs of the full RPM curve. The wider, the better.
D/radials 275/60/15
Those are narrower than what I have now.
If the 345/40/17s fit, that would be my next size DR vs the 315/35/17s I have now, which were the first ones I tried on my wheels when I got them.

It's actually in a possession chain of a Chrysler engineer, so it's got some "heritage"
Well I finally had a phone conversation with the seller. The seller is an engineer who knew a Chrysler Performance dyno operator / engineer. When the dyno operator left Chrysler to go to Ford, he offered up some of the old Chrysler Performance parts. This Weiand 6bbl intake was one of the items, and the carbs too. He's got a set of the 500 cfm mech 2bbl carbs w/accelerator pumps as well.
So there is a good chance that the intake I'm getting may be the exact one that Chrysler Performance used to determine what mods worked, and published the results.
Those of you who are more familiar with the factory performance division and how these tech bulletins were developed may know how viable this scenario is, but I'll consider the story plausible until someone can tell me why that scenario is unlikely or impossible.

Auto Transport Service
Back