• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Overhaul Kit

dan juhasz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
So now that I have confirmed my 727 is the original to my 67 Coronet RT I want to purchase an overhaul kit. From your collective experiences what company makes the most complete and best quality kits?
Can torque converters be properly flushed or being my pan was loaded with band flakes and fine metal should it be junked?

29BF2D38-233A-45B4-9E8F-E7449B8634CF.jpeg

You can get stock converters from places that sell "Transtar" transmission parts. But, to answer your question, rebuild trans and replace converter. A lot of kits will include a front band, but you will have to purchase a rear band separate.

If you have a lot of material in the pan, I'd be very suspicious of TC condition. Evidence of band material indicates a complete overhaul. I have used parts from John Cope for several years. He has a great selection of parts.

I have bought kits from A&A. They have an "add a clutch" option that puts 5 clutches in the front drum instead of the customary 4. Buy the oil pump bushing and front drum bushing (your '67 trans will take the narrow one), as they are not normally part of the overhaul kit. Same with springs and rollers for rear sprag clutch. I have found that normally the rear band is usually good, but have a look at it. Replace the front band and pop for a new converter.

Streetcar wiil be fine with a transpartsonline kit. I've used many. Decent stuff and cheap.
Doug

FYI, John Cope also sells the clutches and plates to use 5 clutch discs in the stock 4 disc drum. Very happy with the results with those. Works great. As far as I know the A&A stuff is top notch too.

I just rebuilt my 727 with parts from John Cope, CRT. Fantastic guy. This was my first rebuild and John was able to make recommendations and answer some of my newbie questions. It was nice to work with a small business with a focus on the customer!

I just rebuilt my 727 with parts from John Cope, CRT. Fantastic guy. This was my first rebuild and John was able to make recommendations and answer some of my newbie questions. It was nice to work with a small business with a focus on the customer!
I looked him up , he is primarily a racing trans guy right. I’m just doing a straight up stock overhaul, maybe add a shift kit. Would he still be the guy?

Like I said use
https://www.transmissionpartsonline...t.php?TransPartsOnline=727&TransPartsType=727
I've built 17 transmissions in the last year. Unless its a full on racecar Alto frictions and a 5 plate front clutch are not needed. They also sell the TF2 shift kit which works well and can be tailored to your desired shift level. Four tan Raybestos tan clutches will easily hold 700hp. Also 3 pin planets will easily hold well over 800hp. 3.8 KD lever, 12-15 springs in the front clutch, .012"-.015" per friction in the front clutch, .025"-.035" in the rear clutch 71 and newer open the front clutch feed, add a lube hole for the rear sprag,TF2 kit. It'll last forever.
Doug

I looked him up , he is primarily a racing trans guy right. I’m just doing a straight up stock overhaul, maybe add a shift kit. Would he still be the guy?
Yeah, he has regular stuff too. I did red discs and kolene steels, bolt in sprag, got one of his stock rebuilt pumps. I’ll buy all my trans stuff from him from now on. I sent my bands to Alabama Bands to get redone. That was around $60 with shipping both ways. Your trans should have solid bands, I would try to keep them. The seal and gasket kit he sent was for a stock rebuild, think it was from Trans Star? Something like that.
I would give him a call on Monday and tell what your doing and he’ll recommend the right stuff.

Next thing I’m looking into is what specific tools I would need to purchase. I have picks, full set of snap ring pliers. I bought both popular manuals already from the net. I gather I will need a tool to compress the clutches in the hubs. Is there a tool made or a method used to guide the seals into their respective bores without damaging them? I’ve also seen slide hammer setups to remove the front pump and guide studs to re install.

You will need a spring tool for the front drum. I made my own. I've never used a slide hammer on the front pump, Just tighten the front band good & snug, remove all the bolts from the pump, find the two holes that are threaded for larger bolts, get a couple bolts a few inches long with big washers, thread in finger tight, use a crow bar to gently work the pump out.

Auto Transport Service
Back