• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Concrete

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:24 AM
Reaction score
Getting ready for concrete for a shop. The shop will be 22x35. It’s not the biggest shop, but it’ll do. The dirt here is friggin soft, we had some rain come through on Tuesday morning, concrete is scheduled for Monday morning. I’m thinking we need to wait.

My wife backed the trailer onto the driveway and then 4-lo out the back/up the hill. Our truck dropped pretty good in the backyard and that’s where the contractor wants the cement truck to back into. I’m thinking we need a pumper.

93FE379C-E14D-409A-8A91-3E1B63E4868A.jpeg

A55095E7-56B4-4919-B2F6-E29ABC5DA321.jpeg

29E804F6-A98A-44F4-A625-4CCA5CE24A0F.jpeg

A stuck concrete truck is a bad situation. There is only so much time to unload a truck before the concrete is damaged. How this gets poured should be the contractor's decision and risk, not yours.

I'd also add that that new driveway slab will be at risk when the concrete truck rolls over the edge onto soft soil. It needs to be protected with some quarry spalls + gravel, or other means.

He wants the concrete truck to back onto the dirt in the back and pour it. Yikes! I’ve wheel barrowed concrete lots of times, but I think in this case, a pumper would be best. He’ll be here tomorrow, I’m sure he will agree with me.

I would be cautious about putting a slab over an area that soft. How longs till it settles and starts cracking?

That area for the shop isn’t soft. It’s the area to get to the backyard that’s soft. My truck only dropped an inch or so in that area cause it rained a couple days ago.

Contractor will be here tomorrow morning, I’ll go from there.

Are you having fun with the changes?
I'm surprised to see you building a shop so fast. In California the process sure takes a lot longer due to regulations.

If not mistaken, the area he lives in is in the county, that means he can do whatever he wants without asking for permission, it’s pretty cool

I see that freedom as a mixed blessing.
a competent person would build structures correctly but an idiot could do a terrible job and hide it with drywall ….

Unfortunately that’s what happens. Good contractors like not having permits so they don’t have to put up with BS. Bad contractors like it so they can get away with things

My dad is an electrician, I had the pleasure of working for him for 7 years he always said, the only difference between a house in the county, and a house in the city, is the house in the county is going to burn down before the fire trucks showed up. That’s why we do it right, even though no one is watching.

The shop will be 22x35. It’s not the biggest shop, but it’ll do.

I’ve got a 30x30. I can fit 3 cars in it and a cub lo boy. It’s a tight squeeze, but I move 2 cars out of I’m working on 1. Really the biggest thing is as long as the floor is concrete, and there’s a roof, that’s all you need :rofl:

Yeah, it’s simple as can be here. In Commiefornia, permits would’ve cost me $40k, that’s before any dirt was moved. Here, you want to build “that”, get er done! I was told that if I went over 1000sqft in concrete work at 1 time, I’d need a permit. I was told that by 2 different contractors that I got quotes from. Is it true, dunno.

I had my concrete guy fill in the expansion joints so floor jacks roll easier.

Auto Transport Service
Back