• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dish Network, gotta rant....am I wrong?

ZombiePopper

Local time
4:51 AM
Reaction score
A little backstory first;

My parents have lived on their farm for around 20yrs+ and in that time, they've had dishnet, for approx 12yrs+.
Nothing special, just 2 receivers in 2 rooms, stand def, 1 movie channel pack, pretty plain.
In all that time, they've NEVER upgraded, no HD, no DVR, No hopper, etc etc.
Well,
Last week the sat. stopped working and from my dad's description, it sounded like a bad LNB.
The tech showed up, and it turned out it was the cables, I talked to the tech about adding the hopper, HD, etc.
The tech told me;
$10 per month HD
Hopper $12
2 Joeys (3 rooms) $7 each=$14
And have it all done, a $10 installation fee, to get everything started;
(By my math, for the initial install $10 to $50 to get started then just an increase on the monthly bill.)

I called dishnet today, to get all this^ started.

I talked to the first guy who confirmed that the info above was correct, and he transferred me to another guy, who ALSO confirmed X2, that the info above was correct...and he transferred me, again, to another guy.

After I tell this guy what I want, (for the 3rd time)
and what the total increase in the monthly was going to be, he tried to put it in the system, but the system wouldn't allow it and was trying to force me to buy ALL the equipment ($500!!!!!!), he put me on hold and SUPPOSEDLY got his manager to try and "fix" it. He got back on the phone and told me "they don't know what's going on..." And transferred me....again....

This time I get a woman,
and I repeat what I'm wanting again...for the 4th time,
she tells me that there's "a $450 "service fee""....and I asked "why? I'm already a dishnet customer, I already have an account, this is not a new customer/account, I simply want to "upgrade" and existing account."
But, she doesn't answer.
I ask, again,
"why a $450 service fee?",
She doesn't answer and She asks me
"do you know about the cost increase on the monthly bill?"
I say
"yes, $10 HD+ $12 hopper+ $14 Joeys+ $10 install fee= $46,
WHY, is there a $450 "service fee"?!
She then changes the story and says
"the $450 fee is for the equipment "lease"",
I ask again
"WHY, is there a $450 fee?!??!, you can call it whatever you want, but I want to know, WHY?!, the last guy said it was "to buy the equipment" now, you're telling me its a "lease", but before, you said it was a "service fee", so which is it and why?!?!?"
The lady NEVER did answer my question and she apparently had no clue why I was being charged $450 OR what to call it!

After I made myself VERY, clear, with her,
she said she would
"take off $100, so I would only have to pay $350"
but again I asked
"why"
and of course, she couldn't answer.
my response to her was
"why don't you knock off another $300 because I was expecting to have to pay around $50"

I never was told why they were charging these amounts, the amount changed THREE times,
and they called it THREE different things!!!

talk about a scam, something is VERY shady about dishnet, I'm shocked and pissed.
I told the lady "looks like I'm in the market for a new satellite company, you just lost a VERY long time customer, congrats!!" And hung-up.
Am I wrong here?
or does this sound like some sort of scam?
Maybe the people on the phone divide these "fees" between them and steal from the customers....

I had dish in upstate NY...And drop them for poor service & fees...... Have Direct TV.... But their cost keeps going up & up. Something is going..How Much More Expensive Can TV Get?

Something shady there. I call bs on their commercials slamming direct tv for charging a lot an not delivering. AND I HAVE DISH. No problems out of them yet, had them for 2 years and havent needed them for anything

Yeah!
I'm running right out today and ordering DISH NETWORK....!

L.O.L!

Ive had Direct TV since 1998.
I'm happy....

Cable in our area, too expensive, that leaves Dish and direct for us, Direct is way more expensive than Dish and continuously raises their prices, Dish has more options, cheaper, and haven't had any such problems, sounds like you talked to a bunch of idiots who don't even know their own service.

I've had DISH since 2001 in 5 differnt houses (yea we relocate often) and never a problem. Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I have Directv and was going to switch to dish....same thing at first it was free install bla bla bla....by the time I ready for the final OK...it went up to $300....I guess Direct aint so bad after all...

That's the thing,
after over 12yrs+ my folks have never had an issue/problem with Dish (until now).
They aren't problem customers, they don't call and complain and they aren't needy, They don't have elaborate wants/needs,
They've never had service interruption.
I just thought it would be a nice surprise to update their current system with a "modern" set-up,
hell even their receivers are ancient! Lol
When the tech came out last week he even replaced their dish because he said "that thing is old, old, old. Haven't seen that type in 10yrs+! " Lol
But,
If they think I'm forking over $350-$500 to "upgrade" a current/existing/long time account, they're out of their minds, they might as well call it a "rectum fee", "shut-up and take it all customer! And don't ask questions we can't answer!"

Dish is not the way to go in my opinion. Direct is by far the better of the 2. Where you might want to pay attention is to repeatedly review your account for any increases, etc. and then promptly inform them that you will not pay that increase they are trying to hit you with. I have Direct and subscribe to the MLB package each year. Yes it is pricy. But as a Baseball nut and a follower of the game, I like being able to watch just about every game out there. The Football package is way to over the top in price but for those interested in that sport it won't seem like a lot. But that being said, Direct is the best if you are a sports follower as Dish cannot compete in any way with what Direct offers. But the main thing to do is constantly review you account with any carrier and monitor for any sudden charges and increases. And then firmly tell them you will bail if the do not adjust for customer loyalty. Works for me and it will work for you...cr8crshr/Tuck

cr8.....Im the same way with center ice...$$as hell but never ever have paid full price for it...every time my bill goes up..I call and it goes down and I usually get a free channel or two for 6 months....

I found a way to make sure that my TV bill does not go up every year . . . I don't get it.

As a result, I find that I've got SO MUCH MORE time to wander out to the shop and get some much needed work done on my project - 1967 Belvedere Convertible - and I'm not complaining ! ! !

Haven't had any type of TV in my house now for about . . . 8 years . . . no, I don't miss it.

I found a way to make sure that my TV bill does not go up every year . . . I don't get it.

As a result, I find that I've got SO MUCH MORE time to wander out to the shop and get some much needed work done on my project - 1967 Belvedere Convertible - and I'm not complaining ! ! !

Haven't had any type of TV in my house now for about . . . 8 years . . . no, I don't miss it.

That's the way to go!
I've been thinking about how much more I'd accomplish with no tv.....a LOT!
But I swear I'm an addict, I'm use to catching, hockey, moto x, top gear, motor Mondays, SuperBike, moto gp, etc etc plus I fall asleep at night with it on, I need to go cold turkey on it!
But my folks need their tv so different story for them.

I firetrucking HATE dish with a passion ! their internet is slow and sucks, their customer service is A+ over the border stupid and they tried desperately to jack my bill up several times for service I already had. not to mention , the signal would pop in and out even with blue skies above .after I cancelled their retarded service , I ran over their dish with my Jeep

they can kiss my ***

Xfinity here, less money , 10 times the internet speed , and their reps speak english

All of the "monthly fee" entertainment content providers don't really care about existing customers.

New customers get "special" rates, and they NEVER tell you what the monthly rate is for customers who stay on past the initial offer period.

Our basic bundle went up $50 a month after the initial term. Nowhere on the site does it say what that charge is, but it is more than if I was a new sign on and ordered EVERY AVAIABLE OPTION, SERVICE, AND PIECE OF EQUIPMENT they offer.

BS.

All of these companies are a scam in my opinion, I have Comcast, and their only saving grace is that I get 57mBps download and 11mBPs upload speed, which is amazing! Their phone is ok, sometimes get calls where I cant hear the other person, and sometimes the tv channels pixilate but overall its been ok, and saved me money when I bundled. I just wish these networks would quit taking a 1.5 hour movie and make it 3 hours long because they have to inject all the commercials, redonkulous! Same thing with the pay channels, they rarely get new movies or when they do, its the same movie that one of the other channels just had and they call it new!

Good luck man!

Sounds about right to me! I think they're all scamming us!

UPDATE!;
Welp,
I did a little research to develop a new plan of attack for dishnet and the things I found out may help others (?);
-Dishnet settled out of court for false advertising, several million $'s iirc (so mentioning this may create a reaction...)
-make sure to specifically talk to a "Tier 2" employee (apparently everybody below tier 2 are nothing more than script readers and are unable to actually do anything. I guess they're there to get you off the phone ASAP.)
-don't be afraid to swap to a different provider, or at least threaten them with it, since there ARE other providers (tell em you're dumping their service to go to another).

So,
with my new plan of attack formed, I called again today.
I immediately, requested to talk to a "Tier2" supervisor and was transferred to a woman that was very helpful, friendly and apologized numerous times.
BUT,
while she admitted up front, that she's "not authorized to "make it right" I would be put in touch with someone who CAN/WILL fix it and that'd I'd be VERY happy at the conclusion of the call."
Then she put me in touch with a manager/supervisor.
I recounted the whole story to this male super./manager, and expressed my anger, aggravation and confusion with dish AND that I was ticked about the "false advertising" (I dropped that phrase in there on purpose lol) and the hidden charges of $350-$500 that no one told me about (and I talked to 3-4 other dishnet employes!)
Furthermore,
I felt like I was being scammed since they couldn't tell me WHY I was being charged these figures or even what the fee was called or the exact amount!
I then told him that "
I'll be calling direct tv and dumping dishnet as soon as I hang up, IF, they can not make it right...."
He said he understood AND apologized numerous times for the mess, he also told me that I was "talking to the right guy now and he would make it up to me."
He instantly, waived those $350-$500 costs/fees, and waived the $10 install cost on top of that.
PLUS, he set me up with a new, lower monthly rate than what I'm paying now!!!
Soooo,
tomm is the install and we shall see how it goes....

Just went through this with Directv. Had to threaten to go to Dish, then they put me through to someone else. It just gets me mad when you supposedly get 150-200 channels and the vast majority of them are crap. Best vacuum ever , butt lift, best bra, etc. I wish one of the companies would let you just buy the channels you want to watch. At least I know when its about to rain, the sat goes out.

Auto Transport Service
Back