• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

F-1 Mist/Pale Green?

vegiguy

Local time
11:24 PM
Reaction score
Was this a rare color for Road Runners In 1973 ? Is this considered a desirable color nowadays, or is this the color referred to Mopar folks as "puke green"? I've noticed quite a few '73 RR's painted Sublime; I wonder if these cars were originally Mist Green since they usually have the dark green interior. Which color is better (if that isn't too loaded of a question)? Is it better to repaint a Road Runner the original Mist green or paint it sublime as far as car value is concerned? SC0510-90499_2.jpg

Just wanted to get people's thoughts on this. Thanks for any opinions.

That's a kind of odd color . I see it every now and then, usually with F8 green int but sometimes with black.

I do see lots of limelight green repaints with F8 interiors, and IMO it looks HORRIBLE.

F1/F8 is questionable, but it's better than lime/F8.

Too bad they only FINALLY got a really nice green in 74 G8? Jade.

I've seen ONE F1 car with a white int, and that actually looked very cool.

Is that your car or another that's the color. If that is the car you are talking about a re-paint would just be wasting money .. it' looks good as is. I suspect it's not so post some pictures so we can provide more informed responses.

the color referred to Mopar folks as "puke green"?

You getting that from a movie or something?

Yep, if that's a pic of your car.....NICE!

I got that picture off of the internet. My car is very similar with the F-1 paint, white stripes, and dark green interior. Originally the car had Magnums on it like that one, too, and I have several sets of the 14 inchers, but I bought a set of 15" rally wheels that I think will fill out the wheel wells better.

I was just trying to decide whether to go back with the original Mist green or change it. I was going to put black stripes on it either way unless that is considered a faux pas with this color of Road Runner. I think the white stripes look too washed out with this light color of car, but I could be wrong.

I think I got "puke green" from Mopar Muscle magazine which I used to subscribe to.

Cool vegiguy. I think the color looks great and since it's not that common would stand out from the crowd among colors that are used a lot, many of which did not come that color. I see your point about the white stripes and black would it would probably look better to me for reasons you stated. If you are planning on selling it you may want to paint it a desirable color/stripe combo which may appeal to a larger pool of buyers. Can you post some photos of the condition of the car, interior etc and options, drivetrain (matching numbers?).

IMHO matching numbers, correct color, options etc do not impact the value of most cars in a huge way as a percentage of total value unless it's a really desirable car like a Hemi, 6 BBL, Wing car, 69.5 A12, badge car convert, etc for example. In most cases a more desirable color, drive-line, and options suspension upgrades (and finished result) would net a higher price because that's more appealing to more buyers. My convert is matching numbers, but I still think about converting to 4 speed as I'm thinking of plans for the cars and doubt that would negatively affect the value if I should sell. However, as has been discussed a lot here, it will almost certainly cost you as much or more for a complete resto than you can sell it for.

There has been a lot of discussion here about how resto mods are bringing more money than by the numbers type restorations in the recent big name auctions. If you really want a lot of opinions post all you know about the car with pictures and tell us what your plans are. Looking to flip, building to keep etc.

Changing colors is not what hurts the value, it's not getting EVERYTHING painted the new color that hurts the value and turns people off. Nothing worse than opening the door, trunk, or hood to find a different color peeking out of some neglected corner. It just cheapens the car and the work done to it. Staying with the original color eliminates that from happening. Now if your are tearing it down to a shell and starting over, then it's unlikely something would get missed in the repaint. Not saying a tear down has to be done, just that if you decide on a color swap you need to be watchful of the details. I like the color personally.

Last edited:
Google it and see how many you find. It's rare. I love the color myself.

:icon_thumright: :icon_cool: I like it :headbang:

I like the color and have seen it before somewhere, i like the white stripes on it to, my own preference with colors is i think i would want it with white interior, i think that would really set off the color with the stripes. It may be the way the picture was taken but i really think she should have her hind end up just a bit, maybe me but looks like its lower then it should be :)

Here are a few photos of the car being restored:

roadrunner1.jpgroadrunner2.jpgroadrunner3.jpgroadrunner4.jpg

As you can see I have started to paint it Mist green, and I'm probably past the point where it makes any sense at all to change the color. I was just getting cold feet about whether the car is going to appeal to anyone after I get it done if I stick with this color.

I like the car and want to keep it but I have way too many other project cars so I think I'm eventually going to have to sell it, although I'd rather not think of it as flipping it because this always has the connotation of just fixing all the superficial things and making something look good so as to unload something as soon as possible to make a profit. I'm doing a ground up, high quality restoration on this car, and if I sell it will probably be lucky to break even unless the value of these cars goes up dramatically.

The car is a 400, 4-speed car but isn't numbers matching as it originally had a 318 in it. It's a REAL Road Runner, however, and like I stated earlier was originally painted Mist green and had a dark green interior. As far as I can tell it originally had white stripes on it. I think the white stripes might look good on it if it had a white interior, but I think the black stripes go better with the dark green interior color.

Thanks a lot for the input!

Cool vegiguy. I think the color looks great and since it's not that common would stand out from the crowd among colors that are used a lot, many of which did not come that color....

I agree. One of the things I like about cars from that era is the incredible palate of colors they came in. I like seeing all the different colors from every year.

As you know I like that body style. I think that color looks good on that car.
now a 68 or 69?........nope.

Here's a picture of another RR with Mist green, white stripes, and a white interior:

1f814613cZZZZZZZZZ89lad6202ebecb7119e.jpg

Here's a photo of a Dodge Challenger painted that color but with black decals:

1973jf1.jpg

I couldn't find a picture of a RR with black stripes painted this color, which makes me wonder whether black stripes were even available on a RR painted this color.

Auto Transport Service
Back