• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hate it when I red light by .001!

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:12 AM
Reaction score
Been a long time ago but it happened..... @kiwigtx but really like it when I tree someone and then they break out and still didn't make it to the line first!

I did it to a guy here once.....we crossed the finish line staring at each other.....my GTX was tapped out and spluttering & coughing across the line.

Turned out the fuel pump pushrod had worn out and there was very little gas in the bowls. Nevertheless, a 0.001 win was good enough.
Dave wouldn't talk to me for the rest of the day.....in fact it was a bit frosty the next time we met. He called me a Sandbagger.
Got him good that day. :steering:

The last time I red lighted I received a summons in the mail courtesy of the red light cameras at the intersection. Big brother watches everything now.

If you don't red-light every now and then, you're not trying hard enough!

In Denver in Class Finals some years ago in a Heads Up
race between two 340, we both had .01 light. My Margin of victory
was .0001.

I went over the scales right to the pound my minimum weight.
My friend Earl in his Cuda was 5 Lbs. only over his minimum. If he had been exactly
on he would have won by a few thousands. That is what makes NHRA class
racing fun!

A few years ago i was -.001 at Norwalk Friday and Sunday. 1st rd both times to the same guy. Funny stat. 4 times I've had people cut a .000 against me. I've won all 4
Doug

My son Jon red light-002 in the King of the Hill raced Sunday on Sunday
I Lost in semis at the Semis at the same race.

Like the Old Cowboy song: Competition is getting younger and better!

I missed a final by a .002 breakout. I hit the brakes, but keep my foot on the floor. If only I’d lifted, even the least little bit…

I've done what I consider worse.
Running against a two seconds slower car, i cut an .001 green against him tying his shoe. Covered him before half track, backed off to just take him by a half car or so.....
You guessed it. I didn't judge his topend charge, he drove around me, and I was off my dial by more than a half second!
At least I haven't done that idiot move again in twenty years.

I've done what I consider worse.
Running against a two seconds slower car, i cut an .001 green against him tying his shoe. Covered him before half track, backed off to just take him by a half car or so.....
You guessed it. I didn't judge his topend charge, he drove around me, and I was off my dial by more than a half second!
At least I haven't done that idiot move again in twenty years.
That was my favorite with the 383 -1 motor..
First 330' was a total slug.. then the magic happened at the top end.
Like a built in throttle stop

I'm not fond of losing like this either...
Screenshot_20230913_152449_Gallery.jpg

Going back to the red light cameras I learned how they caught me. One 4 AM driving on the road about 1/2 a block away lite turns green. By the time I get there it was red and received a summons. What I learned is the change the yellow to red timing when not much traffic. Timing goes from 6 seconds during rush hour and 3 seconds when not much traffic. So assuming 6 seconds I got red lighted. I tried to fight it but it was a waste of time and had to pay the fine.

Okay. Is LB3A left before third amber, or, left before tree (three) activated? Two separate things.
One is just real early, the other is before the first yellow appears. Either should be a automatic loss.
There is a very interesting old thread on yellow bullet about this. Car in one lane broke out, other car broke in the beams, never moved, got a lb3a, and a win on the slip. (Was a division event, super street, .5 protree.)

What those two scenarios share in common is that neither are desirable!

Fortunately, there is always "mechanical error" to explain them away. Two-step, brake, etc. I recall that on one occasion, I had a bee in the car.........?

Fans and even most racers think .001 red is indicative of a racer that's pretty darn good. Never mind that the driver likely lost the race. I think I may have been .101 red once.

I remember a recent pass where I felt very lucky right after leaving that I wasn't red. Certainly the red bulb must have been lightly flickering it was so close.

Got the slip and it was .140. No kidding.

Yeah, I've had leaves where I KNOW I red lighted, get a green, and then find out that the other guy red lighted first. I've been lucky that the fair tree (or whatever it's called) wasn't in use at the time.

Auto Transport Service
Back