• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Home Security Systems Cameras etc

Hemirunner

Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
I’m looking to bolster home security in these strange times. Looking for purchased, stand alone systems where I can have multiple cameras everywhere. I don’t need cloud storage or any more subscriptions for anything, just bought outright. What do you guys use/recommend?

I’m shopping too. Ready to give up on the Arlo.

I’m shopping too. Ready to give up on the Arlo.
I don’t even know what an Arlo is lol. I’m looking for high quality video and maybe motion activation so I don’t need 121 jigawatts of storage and have a million hours of video to sift through in case of an “event”.

A lot will depend on budget. I installed a camera system for a local prison, several years ago. It was all hardwired and all local storage (hard drives). B&H https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Surveillance-Video/ci/3496/N/4293342959 used to have a good selection and decent prices. I’ll have to see if I can find any of the PO’s from when I did that system. They ordered it because they got a government discount, but I had a hand in the camera selection. I’m by no means an expert. CCTV is like anything else, you get what you pay for.

A lot will depend on budget. I installed a camera system for a local prison, several years ago. It was all hardwired and all local storage (hard drives). B&H https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Surveillance-Video/ci/3496/N/4293342959 used to have a good selection and decent prices. I’ll have to see if I can find any of the PO’s from when I did that system. They ordered it because they got a government discount, but I had a hand in the camera selection. I’m by no means an expert. CCTV is like anything else, you get what you pay for.
Given the technological advancement in cameras and data storage, I would think that a decent sized system with 8 or 10 cameras and storage wouldn’t be outrageous. The wifi stuff is probably higher in demand but that seems to me like a questionable technology as far as quality video... maybe I’m way off base??

Given the technological advancement in cameras and data storage, I would think that a decent sized system with 8 or 10 cameras and storage wouldn’t be outrageous. The wifi stuff is probably higher in demand but that seems to me like a questionable technology as far as quality video... maybe I’m way off base??

I think WiFi stuff would surprise you, but I like hard wire stuff because it can’t be remotely hacked. My wife calls me “paranoid” but WiFi connected stuff can be hacked. A closed loop system, cannot. This would be hardwired cameras and no cloud storage. We had a little 4 camera system and my biggest problem was that it came with an app to monitor things on my phone or tablet. Lightening got it and I haven’t bothered to replace it. My “paranoia” bothered me because someone ( not that my life Is that interesting) could hack that app and see what I could see..... it’s also cheaper to buy spools of wire and the ends and a tool and make up your own wires, in my opinion.

I think WiFi stuff would surprise you, but I like hard wire stuff because it can’t be remotely hacked. My wife calls me “paranoid” but WiFi connected stuff can be hacked. A closed loop system, cannot. This would be hardwired cameras and no cloud storage. We had a little 4 camera system and my biggest problem was that it came with an app to monitor things on my phone or tablet. Lightening got it and I haven’t bothered to replace it. My “paranoia” bothered me because someone ( not that my life Is that interesting) could hack that app and see what I could see..... it’s also cheaper to buy spools of wire and the ends and a tool and make up your own wires, in my opinion.
I agree with your point that wifi is vulnerable and I would really prefer hardwire, but it’s also vulnerable if the wires can be cut. I’m sure this will be a large research endeavor. Hopefully I don’t get analysis paralysis lol.

In general, going hardwired is definitely the best option if you can. Both for improved video quality and avoiding wifi interference (a huge and growing issue). I think you're looking at the right idea for a system, I'm interested to see what successful systems are currently on the market. Generally, look for high quality (high definition) cameras that operate well in low light conditions.

POE IP cameras are the best bang for your buck. Wireless are hit and miss and I would not recommend them. This 4mp system with 8 cameras is about the best for the price out there. You can also get one with 4 that will support 8 total and it will save a little money. If you need longer cables than the 50' ones that cme with it you can get premade ones at Lowes or Amazon. I make my own from bulk rolls.

https://www.amazon.com/Surveillance...eywords=poe+camera+4mp&qid=1592597759&sr=8-15

This is a 4mp camera looking at my rear yard and one in my garage. I have 10 around my house and manage 100's for the City I work for.

Rear Yard 2020-3-29 03.30.07.87 PM.jpg
Rear Garage 2020-5-5 05.38.21.165 PM.jpg

POE IP cameras are the best bang for your buck. Wireless are hit and miss and I would not recommend them. This 4mp system with 8 cameras is about the best for the price out there. You can also get one with 4 that will support 8 total and it will save a little money. If you need longer cables than the 50' ones that cme with it you can get premade ones at Lowes or Amazon. I make my own from bulk rolls.

https://www.amazon.com/Surveillance...eywords=poe+camera+4mp&qid=1592597759&sr=8-15

This is a 4mp camera looking at my rear yard and one in my garage. I have 10 around my house and manage 100's for the City I work for.

View attachment 965169 View attachment 965170
That’s a great picture and a price that won’t break the bank! Any night pictures? I’m assuming they’re pretty good in low light.

Last edited:
Here is a shot of the rear camera last night. The light you see on the garage and house on the right are other cameras. You cannot see the lights with the naked eye. I do not have that particular system but I have recommended it to neighbors and it will produce the same results.

Garage Rear 2020-6-18 09.32.40.486 PM.jpg

POE is where it’s at, for me. T2R9 has a nice set up and definitely good quality cameras. As far as the wires being cut, I suppose it depends on how from the house you want them. Burying the line deep and in conduit, someone would have to work hard at getting to the wires. At that point the most vulnerable component will be the exposed camera. But with a high quality camera, you’ll have a good picture of their face before they destroyed your camera.

Agreed with BigCountryMopar, all my wiring is in the attic or underground.

Agreed with BigCountryMopar, all my wiring is in the attic or underground.
I added an underground conduit to the house for this when I built my shop so that shouldn’t be problem.

7E9C8AAA-A795-4D1E-BB0A-3D4C83018377.jpeg

If they are wearing a mask good luck identifying them from a video. I have a 140lb malamute with 2" teeth. I can find the perp by following the blood trail if they are somehow lucky enough to get away. His teeth easily crush huge cow bones so a human leg would be like a Slim Jim beef jerky stick. The best part is that he is on guard 24 hours a day even in a power outage. Don't waste your money. Get a dog.

E38B28EA-EB3C-452E-A957-58614320E524.png
Nite shot off of Arlo. WiFi is down often. Then no video.

If they are wearing a mask good luck identifying them from a video. I have a 140lb malamute with 2" teeth. I can find the perp by following the blood trail if they are somehow lucky enough to get away. His teeth easily crush huge cow bones so a human leg would be like a Slim Jim beef jerky stick. The best part is that he is on guard 24 hours a day even in a power outage. Don't waste your money. Get a dog.
I can appreciate the entertainment value of watching a little trespassing vandal or thief being ripped to shreds but dogs are an anchor tying one to the house and I’ve had them in the past. We travel too much and it’s just not fair to a dog to keep them locked up and I definitely don’t wanna deal with traveling with one.

Power Over Ethernet is a good standard. IIRC Cat 5 ethernet wires are good for runs no more than 300 ft. And yes, definitely keep those wires hidden.

Auto Transport Service
Back