• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low deck builds with trick flow heads what size headers

67MPRFAN

Local time
11:15 AM
Reaction score
Hello all what size headers are you using with trick flow heads with low deck block in your B-body, I would like to use D452 but there tech line says that they won't fit my 67 Plymouth

Header size really depends on the engine combination. If you have the TF heads, likely a more than moderate build. What size motor, what application, cam, intake?

Header tube size is HP dependent and/or for the task at hand. In other words, if you have a 550 HP build and your looking to maximize the power for the strip, it is a larger tube header than one for use on the street. Let it be known the only reason why a smaller tube header would be better for the street is a not for the need of maximum power but to help the over all feel of the car and engine to navigate the streets in a more relaxed manor. And this can very well be a border line thing.

On my small block, a stock 360 in a ‘79 Magnum, with bolt on parts, no cam swap, I could not feel the difference between the standard size 1-5/8 vs the 1-3/4.

Despite the know it all internet hero’s warning me of a big lack of torque and sluggish low end performance, it never appeared. This was later backed up by a header test in *I Think* it was MoPar Muscle and/or Hot Rod magazines where Steve Dulchich (again, IIRC....) did that very test which also included a set of TTI headers. While the dyno tests revealed there strength and weakness, the actual driving & driving feel was fine. The car lit up the rear hides without issue on command.

What are your build specs on/or estimated/actual HP numbers? On what size engine that is doing what (cruiser, drag, street stripper) in your car?

Thanks for the replies so far build will be a 470 which the block is getting close to getting released from machine shop prison, the car is a 67 belvedere 4:30 gears Cal Trac rear 29-10.5 tire's don't have the heads or cam yet but would like to squeeze as much power out of the 470 and still drive ocasionally on the street but mainly strip

I will add I know a 512 would be a better build but I was given a some dome pistons for a 470 so I bought a Molnar Crank and rods but realized the comp ratio was to high for my liking so I purchased some flat tops so money was already spent

I suspect the D452 will fit fine, the guy at Doug's probably only knows what his computer tells him. Obviously the difference is the deck height, my guess is the 440 headers will just hang a little lower. BUT DON'T QUOTE ME, that's just a guess. The second question is will they work with slant plugs. I have no idea.
The D451s sound small for your combo at 1.3/4. Obviously intended for a mild 383, not a low deck stroker. The alternative is tti, but Jegs has a 1 7/8 coated header that they say fits 383/440 in a 67 b- body. About half the price of tti, but sometimes you get what you pay for.
For reference only, I've got a warmed up 440, and big block and small block chevy, and all three have 2" headers into 3 1/2 collectors.

I looked at the TTI website that was posted above and just going by there description of the 1-7/8 headers shows they are only good for 400-500 hp rating don't know how true of a statement that is

“Only good for?” Ummmm, how about best used in or most effective in the listed HP area.

What you described sounds like the 2" TTI would be the choice. My TTI 440-200 fit great, angle plugs & all. I can't see any conflict with the low deck.

What you described sounds like the 2" TTI would be the choice. My TTI 440-200 fit great, angle plugs & all. I can't see any conflict with the low deck.

Are you using the 2inch TTI on a low deck block currently... Thanks for the heads up

“Only good for?” Ummmm, how about best used in or most effective in the listed HP area.

I just went back to look at it again and the website says recommend for 400-600 hp applications for 1-7/8

I just went back to look at it again and the website says recommend for 400-600 hp applications for 1-7/8
No worries.... Anyway, the close I get to 600 hp, the more I would consider the next size up pipe. Considering you did say more track than street.

I was told by a few people 1 7/8 was better for the street versus the 2”
2” better for the track

Dougs 452's will fit. My cousin has a set on his '66 Coronet w/440 they fit like a glove.

On the Dougs site they list the 451 for B motors 1/34" tubes and 3" collectors. The 452's are 2" and 3.5" collectors.
The B blocks are shorter and narrower than an RB. Wonder if there is any difference other than pipe and collector dia?

Auto Transport Service
Back