• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mini tub back seat

Tzclark

Local time
6:22 PM
Reaction score
Hey fellas

I am considering mini tubbing my 68 runner. I am just wondering how much alteration to the backseat was done. I need a three seater.

You should be able to get away with a "Mini Tub" with few back seat modifications. Will you go 4 link or spring relocate? If you want to full on tub your car (not so mini) then you will likely lose the back seat in favour of a half barrel look but you can always duck tape someone to the half barrel... that's like a seat

Last edited:
When I did the mini tub on mine there was only a small amount of rear seat modification that needed to be done. There are a couple of bars in the lower corners on each side that will need to be cut and re welded but its not hard.The top frame where the foam and upholstery sit does not need to be modified just the back structure.

I haven't decided on suspension yet, just have the trunk and outter wheel houses cut out and figured that's now is the time. Joe, did you make your own or buy the kit?

I made my own. They didn't have the kits available at the time.
In the lower corners There is a tab that holds the upper seat in place just make sure you get that back in the correct spot.Mine were a little off and I had to do a little more modification to the back section to hook in.

DSC01718.jpgDSC01714.jpg

That looks to be about 3" or so? What size tire?

It is 3". I run a 315 35 18 the tire is 13" wide and the rims are 12". I had to have custom offsets.
I just mini tubbed my friends 70 charger for him and cut his axle housing down so he could use a standard offset rim. We put a 12 inch rim in his as well.I didn't have the axle shortening jig when I built my rear end that's why I did custom offset.

That's perfect, I was hoping to fit a 315 series et street. I was concerned about the back seat strictly because I have 3 kids and would like to be able to haul them around on occasion.

i am getting all the parts ready for a couple of Borgs to be hanging off the sides of a 440. I'll need all the tire I can get without compromising the back seat.

I have a set of s366 .91 A/R left over from my c10 pickup build. I was going to build a bbc but found a good deal on a n/a motor.

I was going to do a fuel injected modern hemi like yours but I can only handle one steep learning curve at a time. This will be my first turbo build.

I have no problem with steep learning curves but this one has a steep financial curve as well. Are you doing a blow through carb?

Mickey Thompson has a 29-15-15SR with the flame looking tread pattern that's a 15 inch section width and 13 inch tread width. That will fit under there if you roll up the fender lip a little. I did my tubs all the way to the frame on the '67 Coronet and with the lip out of the way it gives exactly 15 1/2 inches. You would have to get the offset just right though.

Yes I am going to do blow through, I do known they are finicky but it's more in my comfort zone. The financial part is also a big factor. What efi are you running?

Thanks ghost rider, I will look into them.

I don't have it yet, but am planning on the Holley Dominator EFI. I'm going to data log with it and also run the racepak IQ3 dash. I've worked with Roger from C&S Carbs on my buddies blow through, procharged 427SBF. They make a good blow through carb and he's been great with support.

I've heard only good about c&s and will most likely be running one. I don't care about data logging, at least I don't think I do. I doubt I'll ever take it to the track, just wanted to try something new. I've tried nitrous before and it's too much fun but filling the bottle is annoying.

Average Joe in this thread was also running a C&S blowthru which I now have for my build because he went EFI.

I've still been considering EFI although I'm sure the carb will suit all my needs I'd I do have a change of heart I'll make sure to shoot you a message

Sounds good Goon. What are you guys doing for subframe connectors? Weld in or bolt on?

Last edited:
Do any of you guys have pictures of your turbo set up with a BBM? I know I am going to have troruble fitting everything in.

Still haven't made that decision but likely be weld in. Just waiting for some space in my buddies chassis shop.

Not a twin turbo set up but check out the Procharged 440 thread in this section last couple pages you can see how Joe's Procharger setup. Not too many twin turbo setups on this board yet for BBM
There's DVW'S sons single turbo slant 6 and everything else is under construction

Auto Transport Service
Back