• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My deepest appreciation

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:25 PM
Reaction score
I bought the GTX back in 2011, having been without an old Mopar for some years (sold my last Super Bee in 1996 in a tough time in life). The usual "guy getting older and wanting to revisit the glory years" sort of deal; there was a hole in my life that needed filled.
It was almost immediately after that when I stumbled upon FBBO one evening while doing some research.
I joined right away, recognizing something special was going on here versus any other Mopar site I'd seen before.

Much stumbling, re-learning and screwing up commenced as I attempted to resurrect the GTX. Much great advice was gleaned from FBBO members who tried to help.
That went on for a couple years, off and on - until I was diagnosed with kidney cancer.
It was the third actual time I'd had cancer, but the first "serious" one.
Prognosis was not good, to put it kindly.
Then came April 11, 2013....major surgery, flatlined in the OR, the whole she-bang.
You get the drift. My goose was pretty much cooked and the GTX was not on the front burner anymore, if ever again.
Well, I'm not wired like that. I come by that honest; my dad was the type that simply never took "no" for an answer and I guess I'm that way, too.
Having survived all that crap (and more cancers to come in the future), I didn't accept the "this is the new you" line the docs laid on me.

When I was supposed to be quietly resting at home for months afterwards, I'd wait for the wife to go to work, then slooowly work my way out to the garage.
Some days, that wasn't much more than a bent over shuffle that took seemingly forever - but somebody had tried to tell me "no", so..."moral imperative", ya know?
At first, it was "clean this little part here" or "replace that wire there" sort of stuff, little mini-projects I could do without needing energy or strength.
That progressed over the weeks to come to bigger and better - until my wife caught me out there after work one day, that is. :)

Point is, the resurrection of the GTX became the resurrection of ME, too - which leads me to the point of making this post to begin with:
I don't think I've ever done a proper job of expressing my gratitude to many folks right here on FBBO over these last 8 years or so.
If not for this site and more importantly, those who choose to avail themselves of it and try to help one another on it, my struggles with the GTX and with getting through all my own medical struggles would have been MUCH more difficult, if not altogether impossible.
THANK YOU to everyone who put forth the effort to help me and the GTX get this far!

What started out as intending to be the typical "older guy has fun playing with old car" turned into "walking undead older guy MUST get car done so when he kicks the bucket, his wife doesn't have a mess to clean up"....
has now returned to the original mission!
Full circle, I'm happy to say I ENJOY the car, probably for the first time ever - and if it weren't for all the help I've gotten from so many folks here on FBBO, that simply would not have been possible.

Again - THANK YOU!
-Ed on the Ridge

What a story, very well said, and this is one of the greatest groups of people that I've ever had the opportunity to know . . .

Well said Ed. Ive known you online for many years now. Even swapped Xmas presents with you one year :lol:.
Glad you got to this point. Keep on truckin old buddy !

Damn Ed, talking about "wearing your heart on your sleeve". But that's the way you always come off to us on here. A real likeable guy, just like so many car guys/gals are when associating with them over the years. The other thing is you always show your appreciation and doing that no one minds helping. That's the key to giving and receiving. I know your part of the country and that's the way you're brought up. Not saying anything bad about other parts out there but the "Bible Belt", as it's known, is a very special place to live.

You've contributed your share of knowledge for others to benefit from also. Trials and tribulations are a big part of it as we all learn from getting our hands dirty. It's been a pleasurable journey communicating with you so far and we're looking foward to many more years of it. Thank you for being you!

BTW, Cool Avatar :thumbsup:

Ps. Happy 4th of July :usflag:

Damn Ed, talking about "wearing your heart on your sleeve". But that's the way you always come off to us on here. A real likeable guy, just like so many car guys/gals are when associating with them over the years. The other thing is you always show your appreciation and doing that no one minds helping. That's the key to giving and receiving. I know your part of the country and that's the way you're brought up. Not saying anything bad about other parts out there but the "Bible Belt", as it's known, is a very special place to live.

You've contributed your share of knowledge for others to benefit from also. Trials and tribulations are a big part of it as we all learn from getting our hands dirty. It's been a pleasurable journey communicating with you so far and we're looking foward to many more years of it. Thank you for being you!

BTW, Cool Avatar :thumbsup:

Ps. Happy 4th of July :usflag:
Thanks, KK. You're one of 'em I'm referring to, you know. :)
I wasn't always like this. Before the world got redefined for me, I kept to myself, quiet usually, nose down, kept working...
the only exception to that was when I got around "car people" - salt of the earth types usually. You can't help but feel better around them and the hobby.
I'll say something else here, too - when I got involved with NeHOA many moons ago, the bulk of their membership lived in PA like you - and just like with Canadian folks, I have NEVER run across a PA native I didn't get along with.
Honest!
I always thought the bulk of PA folks were "southern by association". :)
Y'all just fit in to the whole Appalachian groove.

Oh....and the pleasure has been all mine, sir. :thumbsup:

Well said Ed. I've known you online for many years now. Even swapped Xmas presents with you one year :lol:.
Glad you got to this point. Keep on truckin old buddy !
Yeah, who'd have thought I'd still be here? Sucker bet, right there. :)
Thanks much, my friend. Back at ya!

Very well said sir. You are an inspiration to myself and I'm sure to many others on this board. :thankyou:

Ed,

Thanks for being part of what makes FBBO great. It is all about sharing and learning. Many times it is about the cars and how to do things on them, but sometimes it is a little bit about life too.

You are a class act so kudos to you and here's a wish for many more years here on the site!

Hawk

There are many stories similar to yours.Drive and determination and the love of something as simple as these mechanical marvels known as Mopars.I know there are many brands out there,But for some reason the people in the Mopar world seem to be on a different level.When I was racing, your competition, (Mopar) if you were in a bind would jump right in and help you to make the next round even if they were going to be in the lane next to you.Sure there are some bastards out there, but 9 times out of 10 you would have someone you didn't know lend you parts,a hand or what ever. A good camp to be part of right here !

Awesome story Ed. You kicked cancer's *** and have a GREAT GTX to show for it. Keep fighting the good fight!!

I hear you. Best has already been said. It took a lot less for me to value my time this side of the turf, and irritating people on here.

I always thought the bulk of PA folks were "southern by association". :)

That has a lot of truth to it. A large majority of folks in my area are Maryland transplants just like myself. A lot of Marylanders are from the south.

Hopefully I'm only here in Pa. temporarily. I'm calling it a temporary investment. I wanted to downsize from my last place in Maryland and the price was right on this property. The house and shop are perfect but I'm a country boy at heart and I don't like city life. I'm hoping to move south where I do have some roots and family there. Carolinas or Tennessee would be ideal. We're just not there yet but I've always looked foward and not back. We'll just have to wait and see.

I discovered at a young age, hanging around drag racing, going to car shows, working on customers classic cars, that most of them are down to earth people. You just seem to fit in and they always welcome you and are willing to help. Even meeting famous drivers from the past, and I've met a few, they always take the time to be helpful. They're a great bunch of people to just hang out with, just like on here.

Life's a battle, you won!! I joined like most, for the car and they threw in the people free!! Best deal ever!!

Ed Many more decades this side of the dirt to you. You’re a great guy and pleasure to know even if it’s just via an online relationship. My wife had cancer so I can understand in part. You’ve fought the good fight and still have a lot more in you. God Bless!

Very well said sir. You are an inspiration to myself and I'm sure to many others on this board. :thankyou:
Thanks, but I'm no inspiration. More like the poster child for "don't do it this way or look what happens. :) "

congrats on kicking cancer's ***, ed!
Thanks, dad, but that *** don't ever get quite kicked. After four times, it's even money I get it again. Difference now is, I think, that I'm just over it, you know? Done worrying with it.

Ed,
Thanks for being part of what makes FBBO great. It is all about sharing and learning. Many times it is about the cars and how to do things on them, but sometimes it is a little bit about life too.
You are a class act so kudos to you and here's a wish for many more years here on the site!
Hawk
Wow, thanks Hawk. Me - classy? Eh, I eat with my elbows off the table... :thumbsup:

Awesome story Ed. You kicked cancer's *** and have a GREAT GTX to show for it. Keep fighting the good fight!!
Thanks for the kind wishes, sir. :)
The GTX isn't anything special. She's cobbled together with whatever parts I could scrounge - kind of like me at this point. :)

I hear you. Best has already been said. It took a lot less for me to value my time this side of the turf, and irritating people on here.
Dennis, this site wouldn't be what it is without you.
Seriously. I always look forward to your input on things and your "travelogue" is a classic by itself.
That you continue to irritate folks that need it (and sometimes, even when they don't) is just plain awesome. :thumbsup:

That has a lot of truth to it. A large majority of folks in my area are Maryland transplants just like myself. A lot of Marylanders are from the south.
Hopefully I'm only here in Pa. temporarily. I'm calling it a temporary investment. I wanted to downsize from my last place in Maryland and the price was right on this property. The house and shop are perfect but I'm a country boy at heart and I don't like city life. I'm hoping to move south where I do have some roots and family there. Carolinas or Tennessee would be ideal. We're just not there yet but I've always looked foward and not back. We'll just have to wait and see.
I discovered at a young age, hanging around drag racing, going to car shows, working on customers classic cars, that most of them are down to earth people. You just seem to fit in and they always welcome you and are willing to help. Even meeting famous drivers from the past, and I've met a few, they always take the time to be helpful. They're a great bunch of people to just hang out with, just like on here.
Much truth in what you write here, my friend.
Wait a minute, Hanover? As in UTZ?? Dude, we gotta talk!
Granma Utz Handcooked Potato Chips are the BEST potato chips of all time and they're impossible to get down here!
For some reason, we get some of their other varieties, but never those.
Ummmm, hand cooked in actual lard.... they taste like REAL potato chips. Salivating over here.
Anyways, the living is cheap down these parts. Weather is similar, just less extreme in winter and more muggy in summer.
Door's always open!
Just don't be one of those "Yankees" when ya come. :thumbsup:

Great story Ed. May God bless you with good health the rest of your Chrysler loving days.
Thank you. From your lips to Heavenly Ma Mopars' ears!
Eh, God don't want me and the devil is afraid I'll franchise the joint. Not going anywhere. :)

Ed Many more decades this side of the dirt to you. You’re a great guy and pleasure to know even if it’s just via an online relationship. My wife had cancer so I can understand in part. You’ve fought the good fight and still have a lot more in you. God Bless!
Dang, that's humbling right there.... I think it's worse for those loved ones around the cancer patient for sure.
I wish to heck nobody had to go through it. Evil, evil stuff.
Thank you brother, the fight continues. God Bless indeed!

Auto Transport Service
Back