• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shop ceiling

Has anyone installed theirs upside down?

That's the plan for mine...Rather than having the ribs stick down mine would be facing up and the flat areas will be facing down.

I'm only using it on the scissor truss areas so I'll be able to do the install with no seams.

Planning on installing the 2x4 flat led light fixtures (7500 Lumen) under the steel.

R-38 above in the truss's.

It should make for a nice job when it's finished...

View attachment 904547 View attachment 904548

I don’t really think they would work all they well upside down. You would have to screw inside the ribs and you would probably leave a lot of gap between the panel and the insulation on the flats. Not to mention you would really need to space your electrical boxes out from the rafter.

7B933E63-5A09-4CAC-8DF0-C49DB425F815.jpeg

Ribbed steel for the ceiling, painted 7/16 osb for the sidewalls. Ceiling metal is thinner than exterior metal panels. Osb was cheaper than metal for the walls, easier to mount electrical boxes, cabinets, etc... Lighting is mounted in the flats on the ceiling. All metal walls and ceiling can echo really bad, it was recommended to use acoustic panels by Morton. This is a 48’x75’, 14’ sidewall building.

View attachment 904896
Ribbed steel for the ceiling, painted 7/16 osb for the sidewalls. Ceiling metal is thinner than exterior metal panels. Osb was cheaper than metal for the walls, easier to mount electrical boxes, cabinets, etc... Lighting is mounted in the flats on the ceiling. All metal walls and ceiling can echo really bad, it was recommended to use acoustic panels by Morton. This is a 48’x75’, 14’ sidewall building.

I’m leaning towards OSB for my walls as well. Did you just caulk the seams?

I’m leaning towards OSB for my walls as well. Did you just caulk the seams?
No, 2 coats of exterior latex paint pretty well sealed any cracks, plus trim pieces along the ceiling and corners. All the osb fit tight together.

Well I had bent back and forth between drywall, OSB, or metal panels. Ended up choosing the metal panels. One, they would save thousands of pounds hanging from the structure. Second, once they were up they were up. I didn’t have to go back and mud, tape, sand, paint, etc. So far I’m pretty happy. I’ve mostly been working by myself, and working in a full garage adds to the difficulty. I went with menards pro-rib bright white. Can’t wait to get it done, what is up looks great.

View attachment 903419
Looks great. I have done both metal and suspended acoustical, metal is best.

Mine are just galvinized roofing sheets. I have wiring both ways as door opener boxes and a light box was already wired before insulating (I have R52 in the ceiling) and then the florescents and future wiring to hoist etc have been run external in conduit and BX cable.

When wiring a garage always best to run everything in conduit on surface, three reasons, less chance of having an electrical fire and burning down your garage and your all your jewels inside, and also much easier to up grade and make changes anytime electrically. Last if you insulate, brings up your R value and keeps your garage warmer or cooler. I am an electrician by trade. Also Mr electrical inspector will pass your wiring every time.

When wiring a garage always best to run everything in conduit on surface, three reasons, less chance of having an electrical fire and burning down your garage and your all your jewels inside, and also much easier to up grade and make changes anytime electrically. Last if you insulate, brings up your R value and keeps your garage warmer or cooler. I am an electrician by trade. Also Mr electrical inspector will pass your wiring every time.

What he said!

Complete, other than trimming out outlets, attic, hanging fans, and door tracks. I’m happy. Time to work on some cars!

9B652420-8981-4093-9C66-7F6961FD7537.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back