• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some changes for LemonWedge

Well, today was great until it wasn’t......
1st pass: 10.85 @ 121!! Didn’t see that coming! Brought it back to the pits, climbed under it and looked everything over, all looks to be just fine. 60-ft clocks were screwed up, and said I went 1.209 in 60. No way that’s right, and my buddy right behind me in the same lane had no 60’ on his slip, so something amiss in the beams there.
2nd pass: launch and BOOM! Followed by a bunch of ugly crunching sounds. Pull off get out. The starting line tech, Jeremy is already under the car. First he says it broke the driveshaft. This didn’t seem right, we push it back off the track to a safe spot. I then get my first look at the carnage. The snout of my 742 case appears to be broken off, and the spline of my pinion gear is sheered off and still in the yoke, which is still attached to the driveshaft. But the thing that really grabbed my attention is the angle of the case. It’s sitting at a good 15* upward angle. I scan back to the perches which are still flat on the leaf springs, and it hits me. My perch welds broke, the housing rotated until the pinion bound, and broke off the spline of the pinion gear. The front pinion bearing exited the case, and complete carnage ensued. Not much to say except the result could have been much worse.
Getting it into the trailer was a chore. Getting it out of the trailer and into the garage will be a bigger chore. But I’ve already looked at options for moving forward. I could get a new nodular case and fix the 8-3/4”. Or for about a grand more I can fix this end of the car once and for all with a D60. So I’ve decided I’ll be contacting Cass (Dr Diff) on Monday to order a Strange S60. This will be both the best option, and since they’re built to suit, it’ll be the quickest option as well.
Not the way I wanted to end my day for sure, but the car showed a lot of promise in the 1st pass today. I think I’ve got a 10-second car on my hands.

Sounds good but your mph seems down somewhat . I would expext 123/5 as a minimum . My 440 was [email protected]
What was 1/8mile et and mph ?
Cass is easy to deal with , good choice . Same with Strange S60 . 1350 joints each end of shaft

Tex

Sorry to hear about the misfortune. So perches tore off the housing? Wow. In my '65 Coronet I spit the driveshaft going through the traps at nearly 120MPH. Built a Dana 60 Strange axels, used 4 series limited slip from a SS car, later switched to a spool. DC driveshaft kit. Couple thousand runs a few gear changes, never a problem, high to mid tens.
I'll have to take a good look at the perches on my Satellite.

That sucks. You'll like the Dana. Did it hurt the driveshaft? At least the car ran good. I've been welding flat plates from the front and rear of the perch to the tube at a 45 degree angle. When I was building my car it was on 3x3 angle iron stands. Decided to add cross pieces of 3x3 so it could be jacked up and set on blocks with the casters in the air. Laid a bead that looked like a robot had done it. Of course I didn't clean enough paint of the metal. Jacked it up and POP, off it came. As all in this hobby. A learning experience.
Doug

Make sure you check your transmission out. Something like that could very easily take your sprag out.

Yikes!!

Same thing happened to my buddy on the first outing with his Stocker Firebird.
Looking the axle tubes over afterward, there was pretty poor penetration.
It also started rounding the perches over.

We ended up boxing in the front and rear of some new perches, and he brought the rear to my shop and I stick welded it all up.
Been good for 15 years.

That sucks. You'll like the Dana. Did it hurt the driveshaft?
Doug

Drive shaft looks like it has survived. The new yoke got a little garbled up, but that’s no big deal. I’ll have to shorten this driveline now anyway since I’m pretty sure a Dana has a longer pinion section than the 8-3/4. Man, this is eating up some cash.

I'd be be getting a new high strength driveshaft since the length is different. No sense in in going through this again. Whe you spend the money on a Dana and a new stout driveshaft, you'll never look back.

Do you feel the 10.85 is legit? Or, since the 60’ time is way off....... the whole run might be off??

I guess you’ll know after you get it back to the track.

Dana is only a touch longer. It may still work.
Doug

I'd be be getting a new high strength driveshaft since the length is different. No sense in in going through this again. Whe you spend the money on a Dana and a new stout driveshaft, you'll never look back.

that was part of the winter project. It has a brand new 3” chrome-moly Strange shaft with forged 1350 yokes. Frankly, it’s better that it exited the carnage early so we saved that pc.

Do you feel the 10.85 is legit? Or, since the 60’ time is way off....... the whole run might be off??

I guess you’ll know after you get it back to the track.

there’s obviously still some doubt. It felt like a rocket ship though. My buddy watching said the front end was nearly a foot off the ground at the hit. When I looked at the slip I thought I was going to see an 11.0X. The 121 seems low, but when you add up the 4.56’s, a 6.75 660’, and the dual plane intake @ a 6700 stripe rpm, and it makes more sense than it looks like at initial glance. Ultimately, I think the exhaust change was a much bigger gain than I figured it would be.

Sounds good but your mph seems down somewhat . I would expext 123/5 as a minimum . My 440 was [email protected]
What was 1/8mile et and mph ?
Cass is easy to deal with , good choice . Same with Strange S60 . 1350 joints each end of shaft

Tex

Here’s the slip, Tex. The incremental s do look pretty jacked up. I won’t really know until we get it fixed. But dammit, I’ve got a slip that says 10.85..... Let’s not piss in my corn flakes just yet. Hahah

23D70C57-8494-4C7F-856E-0ADFF1F7795B.jpeg

Those incrementals, other than the 60 ft, are not very far off what your 1/4 shows. Maybe a little quick e.t, maybe a little slow mph.
Exhaust change, more gear, more traction, less weight, i can definately see 10.80s. The 121 just means the chassis is working good for the power you have.
Congratulations!
Edit: just looked again, that 4.200 at 330ft is quite optimistic too.

Those incrementals, other than the 60 ft, are not very far off what your 1/4 shows. Maybe a little quick e.t, maybe a little slow mph.
Exhaust change, more gear, more traction, less weight, i can definately see 10.80s. The 121 just means the chassis is working good for the power you have.
Congratulations!
Edit: just looked again, that 4.200 at 330ft is quite optimistic too.

the other thing that’s weird is the reaction time. New combo, so it could be right, but I think I know what .207 would feel like, and I honestly think I was better than that. I’ve never set up beams, but what if the total times are right, but the reaction and the 60 are overlapping each other. The fateful 2nd run was in the opposite lane, .015 red, and felt exactly like it looked on the slip from behind the wheel. Could it actually be a .004 and 1.47 ????

we won’t know until I get it back together. Until then. It’s a 10.85 car, dammit! :)

Here’s one from my friends Stocker when he has the 350 in it.

It has been as quick as 10.80, with a best speed of 123 with that combo.

70FD94A6-3D1A-4420-9771-2E5AF2FDAD92.png

Auto Transport Service
Back