• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 400/512 came to life today!

Xp29h

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
Today was the day! After the build, we decided to rig a cradle and another old 727 and put it all together outside the vehicle. Thought was if we had leaks, etc. much easier to get to outside the vehicle rather than if it were installed.

Rigged up old radiator with electric fans, oil temp gauge and water gauge. Instead of the headers, used a set of hp manifolds for break in.

After figuring out why we didn't have spark (clip wasn't connected tightly) she fired right up! No leaks! Very little tweaking and ran great. Louder than crap with open exhaust. Sounded great! Lol

I added a couple of pics.. Tried to upload a short video but no luck..I'll try to figure it out. Probably wrong format..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 310
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 314
I've wanted to build a test stand but haven't got around to that yet. Nice work.

Thanks. For this one it was very easy. Just the stand in the front of engine. Attached to motor mounts. Once we attached the trans, we just propped that up at the correct angle. If we were going to build more engines, then we would have done a complete cradle front to back. That would have taken more time for sure!

As for engine still a little more carb work. Idles a little high and can't adjust down. Using Holley 850 dp. The floats were a little high, which we fixed and helped a little..still have work to do before final install.

The stand isn't the hard part for me. The hard part is HOW to wire it! Electrical is my weak link. I'm learning but I'm far from confident at it.

Yeah me too! He had a stand with an off / on switch and push button start. Next time I'm over there, hopefully tomorrow, I'll take a few pics and see if I can't do a simple schematic of what he's got. I'm sure someone here can write one down easy.

Tha hard part for us was getting a good battery to use to get it all fired up! We used one while other was on the charger and switched.

Nice and sound strong ! Good luck with it going in car. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back