• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What did you do to your Mopar today?

Rear "door" panels and trim pieces in yesterday. My back's asking me not to climb in and out of a car today! Flash shows me I have a couple small wrinkles to get out of the headliner.
beerestoration2019 3294.JPG
beerestoration2019 3297.JPG

Not today but the day before. Brought it out cleaned it up good and went for about a 20 mile first cruise shake down of the year. All seams good and ready to go.

Put the hub cap on that came off on a test drive. It's dinged but not bad save the better ones for somebody. Rear springs look tired.
Then started putting stuff laying around in tubs and listing most of the important things inside. I'll like it when done but the doing not so much.

Cleaned the carpets using the wife's cleaning machine and then pretty much sat on a bar stool watching them dry and stared at Therapy all afternoon!

Had to swap car spots so I can put my front seat in. Reminded of why I pushed this friggin Dodge the 300 feet out the in-laws laneway, 37 years ago, when I snuck the wife out in the middle of the night to elope! Excuse the cardboard, power steering system on the Bird decide to go incontinent !

Damn my arms are sore but it's worth it in the end! I want a badass Power Wagon!

IMG_1138.JPG IMG_1140.JPG IMG_1142.JPG

Was merging on the freeway so I finally got to have the Charger at WOT after fixing the manual choke system (used to be seized due to gunk). At about 4k the car started hesitating till I let off the throttle a little. Fortunately it's just the butterfly plate that was stuck closed and suffocating the poor LA360. I'm having clearance issues with the bottom plate of the air filter housing hitting the choke lever. Thinking of banging a dimple unto the bottom of the plate but am worried my punch would just tear a hole.

After some searching it looks like there's this thing called an air cleaner riser. At around $6 this will keep me from doing some shoddy shade tree stuff to this beautiful mopar.

Last edited:
I started the GTX today. It took about 10 seconds to get the fuel back in the carb. Then fired up like a champ. it was -30 45 days ago. After 5 minutes of warming up? HE WANTED OUT! Tired of the sitting in garage.

Checked front brake pads. They're 4 years old & started an intermittant squeak, at stop lights with people looking. It was very embarassing.
I had my new pads out but didn't need them. They don't look worn at all which surprised me as I'm going downhill a lot & I have to change my wife's brakes every year...
So I cleaned everything up and the annoying screech is gone. Checked precious fluids, changed the carburetor gasket, got it warm & drove a ways then checked the tune & washed/dried it.
I'm heading to Redding for the Kool April Nites cruise.:thumbsup:

Checked front brake pads. They're 4 years old & started an intermittant squeak, at stop lights with people looking. It was very embarassing.
I had my new pads out but didn't need them. They don't look worn at all which surprised me as I'm going downhill a lot & I have to change my wife's brakes every year...
So I cleaned everything up and the annoying screech is gone. Checked precious fluids, changed the carburetor gasket, got it warm & drove a ways then checked the tune & washed/dried it.
I'm heading to Redding for the Kool April Nites cruise.:thumbsup:
My brakes are more spongy than I like. I'm researching power break upgrade options. It does have front discs. That certainly helps. But the whole manual break setup is barely sufficient at best. There are some decent options from hydrolic power boost to aftermarket conventional break boost. Not free of course. And that also leads to conversation on rears to disc. The car is already non number matching. So no real sin at looking at upgrades.

Gearing up for another late night drive, cleaned the windshield and bench seat.
Deciding on the route but I may try to hit the coast depending on time and weather.

Got the hood done last night. Pulled it out to check in the sun. Passenger side sanded to 3000 today.

IMG_1160.JPG
IMG_1159.JPG
IMG_1162.JPG

Today, I took the '55 out for a ride and it seemed to be suffering from the ignition breaking up and fuel starvation. I pulled the fuel filter and was quite shocked by how much rust came out of it. After putting on a new filter, I pulled a couple of plugs. On both, the electrodes had been hit by the valves and the gaps had closed up to about .020 (should be .060 with HEI). I looked down in the cylinder and saw a nice shiny circle inscribed on the valve (at least the valves are rotating) by the plug electrode. So, I've ordered a set of indexing washers. That should fix that problem.

Auto Transport Service
Back