• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When do you get your best ideas?

upload_2022-1-30_18-18-36.jpeg

My job demanded ideas on the spot. It's
one of the reasons I stayed at it for 46 years.
Sitting in front of a computer, with frequent
trips to the line with a tape measure or a set
of calipers, and my trusty clipboard. I had to
learn how to turn it off when it wasn't being
applied.
x_fmtv_27609.jpg
image-2.png
image.png
20190620_165918.jpg

Last edited:
When I was still at the day job, had a 40 min commute twice a day. That's when I did my " design & problem solution " thinking for the day. or a given project. Certain days, could hardly wait to get into work and try out thoughts in CAD. There's a lot of "on the fly" problem solving each day too. Always tried not to think about anything work related before going to sleep.

Two places.
In the shower the next morning, after I've slept and cleared the brain or all distractions. Or on the front patio in the space chair. Have a sit, watch the horses, squirrel, dogs have a cold beverage and change mental gear to neutral for a minute. That's when it all comes together for me.

Two places, different chapters in my life. My truck driving days - in the cab on the way home, with the reload in the trailer, and no further decisions other than keeping the rig between the lines. My executive life- on the plane headed home from the problem I'd been sent to resolve. In both cases, I'd gotten the juices flowing in high gear with the earlier issues of the day, than kept using them when things finally calmed down.

A small pocket note pad for me. That way when I think of something I write it down.
If not, I forget 10 seconds later. Short attention span.

Most of the time it has been when trying to get to sleep or wake up during the night and ideas pop. I grab my phone and email it to me.

When I think back on dumb **** I did, can think of many occasions when sleeping on it first would have been best. On the other hand, doesn't work though when I told the group I was golfing with pondering on an edgy 5 foot putt to win the hole "Hey guys, I gotta sleep on this, see you in the morning."

Auto Transport Service
Back