• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canada catalytic Converter conundrum

patrick66

Local time
3:30 PM
Reaction score
For the 1979 model year, were cats required on new cars sold in Canada?

I thought that by 1976, all US built cars had to have them. By 1979, that extended to trucks.
Not sure if that applied to Canadian export cars.

I thought that by 1976, all US built cars had to have them. By 1979, that extended to trucks.
Not sure if that applied to Canadian export cars.
For US, you are correct. But I seem to remember that Environment Canada was four to six years later in adopting many of the US safety and emission standards, but not all of them until much later.

Last edited:
By '79 I'd be fairly certain they were. Regulation was "after 1975" but I don't remember our 76 Fury Sport having one.

Canada to require catalytic converters on U.S. auto imports - UPI Archives

Interesting article from a 1985 Canadian publication seems to infer they were NOT a requirement in 1979, but were a requirement starting in the 1989MY.
That’s a strange article. My understanding is catalytic converters cause acid rain. In fact it wasn’t a thing until most cars on the roads in USA had them. Remember the rotten egg smell? Obviously with computer controlled combustion and fuel injection they got “better”.

Switch for US passenger cars was start of model year 75.

Our 78 Fury Sport had the smaller diameter hole in the filler for unleaded. The dealer just punched the hole larger for leaded gas nozzle.

For the 1979 model year, were cats required on new cars sold in Canada?
Here's what I have for 1979 Chrysler 300 with dual exhaust:

N92: Canada and Export Emissions Package: non-catalytic, unleaded fuel not required, air pump supplies air into both exhaust manifolds, bimetallic, heat-actuated manifold heat control valve.

IMG_20231127_200019674~3.jpg
IMG_20231127_200503434~3.jpg
IMG_20231127_195857994_BURST000_COVER~3.jpg

Source:
1979 Chrysler 300 Handbook by Dale Burkhardt and John Veatch. Copyright 1989, All rights reserved.

Last edited:
^^^That seems to answer the question!^^^

Thanks!

Auto Transport Service
Back