• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crank no start

Local time
11:04 AM
Reaction score
67 Satellite with a 500 stroker

Two weeks ago I had spark had to change the torque converter because I wanted better stall (and I managed to knock a couple teeth off the ring gear)

Today it won’t crank when I key it, but I get 14v at the coil. It cranks when I jump the starter under the hood.

No ballast resistor, it has the ignition system from 4 seconds flat

Where should I look?

Thanks

I chased the same problem and it turn out to be a bad battery connection,dirty.

Check the connection at the neutral safety switch if you have the single pole version.

Starter relay? I've gone through 2 so far in as many yrs. If you have voltage at coil, try jumping relay. If it starts n runs, I put money on relay.

Most likely the neutral safety switch wire/connection was broken when you removed the trans.

Check the transmission linkage. If it's not in park, neutral safety switch would be open and it won't crank.

Try to start it with gear selector in neutral

did we get it started?

Two weeks ago I had spark had to change the torque converter because I wanted better stall (and I managed to knock a couple teeth off the ring gear)

Today it won’t crank when I key it, but I get 14v at the coil. It cranks when I jump the starter under the hood.

Where should I look?

Thanks

Where should I look?

Thanks
I have the 4 seconds flat ignition, including a new distributor with custom curve for my car. Awesome setup.

Starter relay? I've gone through 2 so far in as many yrs. If you have voltage at coil, try jumping relay. If it starts n runs, I put money on relay.
I concur. I was told it was "definitely" the neutral safety switch. What I did was apply the e-brake, turn the key to START, hold it there and move the shifter from park to 1st and back again a few times. No crank, no start. Installed a new starter relay and haven't had a problem since.

starter relay.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back