• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garage Heater - Fix

Ron H

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:42 PM
Reaction score
Go figure on a 3-degree morning my trusty old Lennox gas heater decided it didn't want to heat. With all the fix-its I do, never ventured much into furnaces. But damn, I figured calling a furnace guy on a one of the first coldest days and on a Saturday morning, would be a long wait. So ventured through the web viewing a dozen FAQ's, and videos with a search with the symptoms - furnace fan turns on immediately; but not heat. Well, fan shouldn't turn on instantly anyway. As you versed guys know, could be a bunch of things and was thinking ignitor, flame sensor, etc. I came across a young guy on a video describing my symptoms and he had a nifty trick: Tap on the high-limit sensor as it can be stuck open before getting into voltage testing, etc. I wasn't optimistic as most times with me the simple things are fine...so turned off power to be safe tapped on the switch a few times and turned furnace on. I noticed a green light on the circuit board...green is good...and what da hey! It's working. Could be might need a new one since it stuck once; but for now will enjoy da heat. Hope this trick might be handy if yaz get no heat.

My gas fireplace was acting up the other day also. The pilot wasn't staying lit. Did a quick web search on the problem and fixed the problem myself for free. Feels great to save money like that!

Green light and broke already. Hope you can find a supplier that will sell you that part.

Just remember that some people can destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet. Don't hit it to hard until you have a spare.
Correct, yep, it's a careful thing; end of a screwdriver handle did the trick. Been working fine for several hours now but will plan to order one since if it stuck once expect it will again. Get me through winter hopefully and do some more service on it that makes sense to do I've read up on that I haven't.

Just remember that some people can destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet. Don't hit it to hard until you have a spare.
They can also tear up a crowbar in a sandbox!

Auto Transport Service
Back