• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long have you owned it?

FU64RY

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
What's with every time I have a car for sale the first question is.
HOW LONG HAVE YOU OWNED IT?
20 days or 25 years how does that reflect the condition of the car for sale?
I tell every body I have owned it for 20 years and there is no way they can ever dispute it.
So 20 days or 20 years WTF.

I get that just stopping for gas. it's usually the follow up to "what year is your GTO"

I have had a few of that question over the years but not enough to make it stand out.

My response is usually--I bought it when -it- was ten years old.
When I get the confused look ---I know a lot about who is enjoying what they are looking at.

I am constantly impressed with how many like what they see but have no clue what it is.--This speaks about the look of these old cars.

BTW mine is a 69 Coronet RT--(hemi)- and folks like to see the hemi emblem because that word has been burned in their minds and triggers a response.:)

Last edited:
Longer than you've been alive. To some of them.

Edit: Since 1978 to others.

Last edited:
I've had some needledick ask me "what year is your GTO?"
Despite the fact that there's a picture of a Bee wearing a helmet with the words "Super Bee" surrounding it.
Only calling it a Camaro would have pissed me off more.

At least get the make right.

The buyer may want to know if you're just flipping it or whether you just bought it and discovered a major problem. Generally, how well do you know the car's history. Seems reasonable to me, especially if they are spending big $$$.

I've had some needledick ask me "what year is your GTO?"
Despite the fact that there's a picture of a Bee wearing a helmet with the words "Super Bee" surrounding it.
Only calling it a Camaro would have pissed me off more.

At least get the make right.
I got the camaro compliment with a 70 cuda i had.

The title of the thread is more generic than the OPs question of the car being --FOR SALE-.

I admit that I missed that significant point when I responded.-:eek:

Meeting buyers is different than meeting the --Q public-- folks at a gas pump (for example).

I tell every body I have owned it for 20 years and there is no way they can ever dispute it.
If you owned it for 20 years, wouldn't your Pa. Title show a issue date something like 1998 and your name when you started to own that car? So now you the seller and the buyer are going to transfer the title and the buyer see the issue date is like Aug. 24, 2010, now how are you going to explain that?

Last edited:
I've sold a number of cars (different makes and models) and had that asked often enough. Just a way to gauge the car and seller I think.

I've asked that question.

1979 and 1984
make me a offer i cannot refuse or go the :icon_fU: away:up: :elmer:

It's interesting to find out that this was their dad's car or the 1st car in high school.

Kinda a gauge for me as to how much the owner likes the car? When you say “original owner” , the lightbulb comes on right away!

It's interesting to find out that this was their dad's car or the 1st car in high school.

have Dads car also but he wasn't a Mopar guy at all
he thought they were ugly....

grew up in a car family had a bunch of different stuff buick gs verts,fastback stangs,vettes
i ended up gravitating towards Mopars
after a buddy bought a 70 383 4 speed runner
and he didn't know how to drive the damn thing after buying it...lol
i drove it home for him (2 hr ride) and had such a blast on the ride beatin on it
and i was hooked..

I wouldn't take offense at any comment made or question asked about these old cars that we own. A lot of people just don't know...they're not stupid, just ignorant. In reality, we're probably the last generation in any substantial numbers to have a true affection for this era of muscle cars. Who knows, 20-30 years our cars will be like Model As and Model Ts...nobody cares about them any more. Relish it while you can.

Maybe at this point in this thread is a good time to ask the question?--

How do you acknowledge another brand of an old car that is looking good at the gas pump? (put yourself in that person's shoes).

IMO we all are the same with our passion for old cars. When I see someone with a car that looks like much love has been invested It brings a smile.
I always try to make eye contact and give a nod or thumbs up to the driver. It tends to make my day when I see that same from other drivers on the road.

Auto Transport Service
Back