• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many years have you owned a performance/classic vehicle ?

That's the production date of my Charger!
I've only had it for 7 years.
My Harley has been with me for 28.
Bought a really nice all original 70 383 Challenger in 1980 and had it for 5 or 6 years before checking the production date....on my birthday! Kept it for about 16 years or so....
I'm 67, I've had a go fast car since I was 16. Had a few go fast boats also. I've always loved the smell of gas!
Had one boat and that was jet and ran pretty good. Good enough that a long time friend that was into boats freaked out when we went out and I opened it up lol. Didn't keep it long though but actually made a few bucks when I sold it.

I guess i didn't go thru this whole thread because i didn't see your post here of your X. Nothing catches my eye faster than a sweet GTX 68/69. I love it in black. Curious if that was the color when your BIL bought it. I never saw a black X around NE and i would have and more likely would have clearly remembered a black one. I departed Mpls in Jan of 82 on my first corporate transfer to Chicago. If I ever saw that car back in the day it wasn't black. Also curious to know who in the Village your BIL bought the car from? Most seemed like they were buying 68's back then with a sprinkling of 69's.

Whatever the case she's a beautiful ride. Living there I'm sure you're more than aware of the car jacking plague since the whole woke thing began. You already asked me how i know about it. Just be uber careful. The Mpls cops said if they want your car they'll get it. Not much you can do about it. Even if you carry it's highly questionable if you could stop them that way w/o ending up in jail yourself. Stupid has it might sound someone stealing your property unfortunately doesn't give you the right to drop them - As much as you may want to. Make it impossible for them is the only way.

I guess i didn't go thru this whole thread because i didn't see your post here of your X. Nothing catches my eye faster than a sweet GTX 68/69. I love it in black. Curious if that was the color when your BIL bought it. I never saw a black X around NE and i would have and more likely would have clearly remembered a black one. I departed Mpls in Jan of 82 on my first corporate transfer to Chicago. If I ever saw that car back in the day it wasn't black. Also curious to know who in the Village your BIL bought the car from? Most seemed like they were buying 68's back then with a sprinkling of 69's.

Whatever the case she's a beautiful ride. Living there I'm sure you're more than aware of the car jacking plague since the whole woke thing began. You already asked me how i know about it. Just be uber careful. The Mpls cops said if they want your car they'll get it. Not much you can do about it. Even if you carry it's highly questionable if you could stop them that way w/o ending up in jail yourself. Stupid has it might sound someone stealing your property unfortunately doesn't give you the right to drop them - As much as you may want to. Make it impossible for them is the only way.
It’s been black since it rolled off the assembly line.

Ronnie bought it in ‘79 or ‘80 and I got it from him in ‘82. I tried to get a title search from the state a long time ago but the state stopped doing that because of budget cuts. I tracked down the guy Ronnie bought the GTX from, he got it from a guy from northern Minnesota that was living at the Polynesian apartments in New Brighton.

Cruising was pretty much dead by the time Ronnie got the car, he broke the GTX street racing and it sat parked until he had twin boys. At that point he sold it to me. I put a trans in it and drove it for several years. After fleeing from Roseville’s finest one night the GTX went into hiding. I started to restore it, but with a young family it took way longer than I expected. It didn’t go down the road under its own power until 12 years later. (2001)

Last edited:
It’s been black since it rolled off the assembly line.

Ronnie bought it in ‘79 or ‘80 and I got it from him in ‘82. I tried to get a title search from the state a long time ago but the state stopped doing that because of budget cuts. I tracked down the guy Ronnie bought the GTX from, he got it from a guy from northern Minnesota that was living at the Polynesian apartments in New Brighton.

Cruising was pretty much dead by the time Ronnie got the car, he broke the GTX street racing and it sat parked until he had twin boys. At that point he sold it to me. I put a trans in it and drove it for several years. After fleeing from Roseville’s finest one night the GTX went into hiding. I started to restore it, but with a young family it took way longer than I expected. It didn’t go down the road under its own power until 12 years later. (2001)
Love the old stories from back in the day. The life span, the history the fleeing the suburban keystones the whole nine yards. When i restored mine I guess i was still thinking with a young mans brain. I see you have 4.10s while i stayed with the 3.91s and learned to regret that. Facts were i was no longer going to be doing any racing so i wished I'd gone down to a max of 3.51s, even 3.23s. With the freeway driving around here being an absolute must and the few car shows i would bring the car to - Spring or Fall Fling which a fair # of FBBO guys come to I was always droning at around 3500 or so all the way up to north of downtown LA. Unpleasant. I also had a little left over testosterone and thought i needed 560 hp and a trick tranny. Yeah that served me well (??). Cosmetically i felt like i got it right as I'd always dreamed of. Mechanically I overdid it, and besides being a waste of $$ it was also a waste of Steroids. It was just never going to be used for that build. And it also wasn't that fun to drive all that out here. If I could have done all that back in the day i would have legally married it. But now days ...nah. I should have made a milder build with a few tricks in it. It was fast enough the way it was.

Members here from all walks of life, from all different areas over the globe. Yet, have a common interest for performance/classic cars, Mopars in particular. I myself go back to when these cars were nothing more than new/used cars at the time, not yet "classic" cars. With that said, I've owned at least one performance/classic car 52 years. So here's my question: HOW MANY YEARS HAVE YOU PERSONALLY OWNED A PERFORMANCE/CLASSIC CAR ? Not necessarily just Mopars, any model that would fit the description, no matter what brand. And even if there was a gap, say 8 years back in the day, plus 11 years again until now, would make that 19 years total. What's your number ?

I've only owned the current occupant of my garage for a year, but it has owned me ever since I took it for a test drive in 1970. I owned six other GTXs in five decades, including a factory Hemi car, but this was always "the one."

69 GTX Rear.jpg

I bought a '57 Chevy 301 cu in 4 speed in 1967. So, 57 years.

Bought the Charger in '87 when I was 19.

Started driving my first car in 67 (66 Belvedere II) and used it to go to driver's ed. Rode my bicycle the first couple of days and dad said to go ahead and take the car but to be careful. It became mine 2 years later and it wasn't long before the tired poly teen came out and a mild 383 went in. It's been down hill ever since.

My 1969 Dart Custom I got when I was 18 in 1999 for 225$. Original beige with green interior slant 6 auto. It didn’t look like that when I got it.
IMG_0923.png
IMG_6448.jpeg

I bought my first Charger in 1980. I had a Javelin in 79. I bought this one in 1981,I still have it.

20220424_194314 (1).jpg

20220421_193845 (1).jpg

20220507_133153.jpg

Last edited:
My car was neither classic or performance when I bought it in 1985, lol. It was my Grandmother's /6, 3-on-the-tree Belvedere I Sedan …. but it has 2 doors! I drove it for several years and parked it when other priorities took over. I just finished the rebuild in Sept last year with a 4 spd 383.
Still not sure it’s classic or performance, but I like it.

IMG_3057.jpeg

Members here from all walks of life, from all different areas over the globe. Yet, have a common interest for performance/classic cars, Mopars in particular. I myself go back to when these cars were nothing more than new/used cars at the time, not yet "classic" cars. With that said, I've owned at least one performance/classic car 52 years. So here's my question: HOW MANY YEARS HAVE YOU PERSONALLY OWNED A PERFORMANCE/CLASSIC CAR ? Not necessarily just Mopars, any model that would fit the description, no matter what brand. And even if there was a gap, say 8 years back in the day, plus 11 years again until now, would make that 19 years total. What's your number ?

Auto Transport Service
Back