• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm always looking for car cars I think are underappreciated.

IMG_8929.gif

I have always liked some of the AMC line up, never a fan of the Gremlins, Pacers. To be honest, I have wanted a Mustang ll Cobra since they first hit the market.
Oh… so you’re the one, that wanted one of those. :p :D

Who dares put a red X on a second generation Charger! Turn in your man card now!
When I got my Charger back in ‘85, I went into the city a few times… (Philly). All the black guys would point at it, and a couple ran up to check it out. My brother said it’s because it looks like a fat black chick.

I've wanted a Gremlin for a while. Kitsch factor, I suppose. Pacers? Little too 'fishbowl' for me.

I like old school "people haulers" in general...

IMG_20150426_175545_790.jpg

face.jpg

801469.jpg

High-powered more-doors are just as much fun!!

When I got my Charger back in ‘85, I went into the city a few times… (Philly). All the black guys would point at it, and a couple ran up to check it out. My brother said it’s because it looks like a fat black chick.
I prefer the term rubenesque! She's thick in all the right places! It's Beyonce' on wheels

20220924_172642.jpg

20220914_074646.jpg

20210925_145203.jpg

Last edited:
Those hips are REALLY noticeable in the factory "sport" mirrors! 3/4 of the image is hip; 1/4 of the image is usable view of traffic.

Perfect!

She's all hips and lips, and she knows how to use them to make you flip! Kim Kardashian made millions with her hips!

I think my little two seater AMX is an under appreciated car! Who can't appreciate a 390 and a 4 speed in a tiny little car?

Underappreciated ? by the Mopar crowd ? I'll offer this near the top of that list :
1693313456811.png
I've had 3 of them. Among the best cars I've ever owned.

Still have mine, bought brand new in 9/91:

IMG-20120320-00003.jpg

Nobody wants 'em, so if nothing else it'll make a sporty damn coffin!

That little turbo 4 banger was a hell of a motor. I've had 'em as 2.2's and 2.5's in Daytonas, Shadows, Spirits, Lancers, Sundances, Chargers, Omnis, and minivans. I met Carroll Shelby, when he was poking around under my hood and called his engineer over, and asked "WE didn't put that in there, did we??" - the car (an 89 Shelby CSX) came with a Garrett VNT25 turbo, about the size of a tennis ball. I was running a modified TEC Super 60 VNT - the size of a softball. It caught Carroll's eye right away, tucked up under my ported and ceramic-coated intake. He was a great man, lots of fun to talk to.

I've popped plenty of headgaskets; overboosted plenty of turbochargers; modified tons of exhausts and ECMs; removed tons of balance shafts; broken plenty of timing belts (gotta love a NON-interference motor!); run well over 35psi boost through stock bottom ends - all that, and over all the years, I have killed one (that's ONE) bottom end. Ever. Making a 38psi run down the track, with a hair too much timing...and holed a piston.

It doesn't take long at 38psi. And, I think I still went 11.20 that run.

But, that's the only bottom end I have EVER killed in one of these.

My Daytona above? One of 150 AGS "competition package" cars built, and one of 26 with my option set (super discount package; a/c) and colors (white with "bordeaux" - maroon - interior). Currently bone stock (ish) - manual boost control (14psi at the moment) and a 2.5" straight exhaust are the only mods still on it. Well, and an Alpine bluetooth stereo, and O.G. "back in the day" MP lowering springs. Even still has the original clutch!

View attachment 1517320

That little turbo 4 banger was a hell of a motor. I've had 'em as 2.2's and 2.5's in Daytonas, Shadows, Spirits, Lancers, Sundances, Chargers, Omnis, and minivans. I met Carroll Shelby, when he was poking around under my hood and called his engineer over, and asked "WE didn't put that in there, did we??" - the car (an 89 Shelby CSX) came with a Garrett VNT25 turbo, about the size of a tennis ball. I was running a modified TEC Super 60 VNT - the size of a softball. It caught Carroll's eye right away, tucked up under my ported and ceramic-coated intake. He was a great man, lots of fun to talk to.

I've popped plenty of headgaskets; overboosted plenty of turbochargers; modified tons of exhausts and ECMs; removed tons of balance shafts; broken plenty of timing belts (gotta love a NON-interference motor!); run well over 35psi boost through stock bottom ends - all that, and over all the years, I have killed one (that's ONE) bottom end. Ever. Making a 38psi run down the track, with a hair too much timing...and holed a piston.

My Daytona above? One of 150 AGS "competition package" cars built, and one of 26 with my option set (super discount package; a/c) and colors (white with "bordeaux" - maroon - interior). Currently bone stock (ish) - manual boost control (14psi at the moment) and a 2.5" straight exhaust are the only mods still on it. Well, and an Alpine bluetooth stereo, and O.G. "back in the day" MP lowering springs. Even still has the original clutch!
For me the problem was throughout the 80’s and part of the 90’s, Mopar was going up against the Camaro and Mustang with a K car in slight disguise.

I did OK vs stock 30x CID mustangs and camaros with my stock (except a little accidental over-boost) CS turbo Daytona.

For me the problem was throughout the 80’s and part of the 90’s, Mopar was going up against the Camaro and Mustang with a K car in slight disguise.
And I'd whip their ***. First one with nitrous, the third worked/overboosted and even faster.

And I'd whip their ***. First one with nitrous, the third worked/overboosted and even faster.
I’m not denying they were quick. They were light cars and power to ratio wins races. My Mom had a ‘78 4 door Horizon and an ‘81 TC3. Both of which became GLHS Shelby versions. I’m not a street racer, just like the sound of a V8 with a manual transmission going through the gears. So being consistent at the track never mattered either.

View attachment 1517320

I agree with you. Still miss my Shelby Charger and my wife would like to get back into a Shelby Lancer again some day.

I never fit very well in the L body coupes (Chargers). Sedans I was OK with, but the engine bay was CRAMPED - especially with a turbo 2, intercooler, 2 piece intake, a/c...wow. Zero room. Had a Shelby Lancer years ago, leather/auto. Always wanted to make a leather/5 speed (Carroll only built them as leather/auto, or cloth/manual), but they were near impossible to find for donors or conversions. Favorite was probably my Spirit R/T with the 16v Lotus head. Little massaging of the boost levels and WOW, it would surprise any Fox body out there. Hell, STOCK they were a lot of fun! 225hp bone stock? Unheard of in the early 90s from a 4 banger! But I sold it because parts were unobtanium, and those 16v motors WERE interference motors so if you pop a belt...it's expensive. Made some decent money selling my three spare heads with cams, to a buddy who has a handful of the R/T cars...but I still have about eight engines' worth of 8v heads, cams, turbos, blocks, pistons, intakes...just need to find parts to rebuild one of my automatics for the minivan...

I’m not denying they were quick. They were light cars and power to ratio wins races. My Mom had a ‘78 4 door Horizon and an ‘81 TC3. Both of which became GLHS Shelby versions. I’m not a street racer, just like the sound of a V8 with a manual transmission going through the gears. So being consistent at the track never mattered either.
Well, I go back 50 years when I raced my big block Mopars. Had no choice in the 80's, so I made 2 of my Shelby Daytonas a tad quicker ( actually, a lot of tad ). Nothing however, compares to a V8-stick. My seat-of-the-pants will testify to that.

Some nice supercharger whine at 21:07 and a big smile on the reviewer's face. He should have gotten a better 0-60 time. I believe even a stock Regal GS will do a sub 7 second 0-60.

I like all the cars mentioned! I would love one of those 90's Daytonas but you guys would have to build it for me because I'm too old to start learning how to make those go fast.

Love that GSX. My 97 Camaro SS was built by SLP. They sent a Z28 fully loaded to SLP then they changed it into an SLP SS. Later Chevy was building the SSes themselves.

Auto Transport Service
Back