• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Military service- what do say?

I been to that beach, many times as I was stationed to Torii (not Tory) twice, did over 9 years in Oki.

I think it all really boils down to this...Having served a total of 34.5 years and now an old bald, graying, crusty senior NCO, retiree ORF...Old Retired Fart...both active duty and then Reserves, when given that thanks, I just don't know how to take it nor respond. I mean it must seem to be genuine thanks and all, at least I hope and would think so...but now a days it just seems to be so routine in its rendering. I know down deep in my heart that it is heart felt and all. So what is one supposed to do when they never for a second considered it more than just our job that we all enjoyed doing. I dare say that those not having served and doing what ever line and type work they have chosen to do, feel the same way about their toil. To me it was nothing more than the best damn job I could have ever envisioned and done. And HELL YES!!! I would gladly do it all over again without reservation. My career spanned the Viet Nam era, and everything after that so I've seen and done a lot. Some of it I would prefer not to remember and then some that are forever etched into my brain. Permanently. A lot never goes away. But I am still intact and rather lively now after it all. So the thanks is always unexpected when I receive it. But as I mentioned earlier here, I came up with a way to give back to those giving it so they see that service is always above one's self, and is for a much greater good of the whole that give their thanks to me for my service. And it gives me great comfort to do so rather than to receive. It's like the axiom of, It is Better To Give Than Receive which I chose to put in place because I gave a lot but do not expect anything in return. Albeit what I do receive and get back is very much appreciated as well. But I do not actively seek it out. As much as we are so divided now in this current World, we need to come back together for the greater good and not fracture and implode what we have gained in our collective History. Sadly and with great concern I see troubled times a comin'. To all my Brothers and Sisters here on this board, and elsewhere, I thank you also. And just for the record, the US Coast Guard is now on equal footing as the other branches and rightfully deserve the thanks as well...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

Concerning the “Officer” statement, if I didn’t like an Officer, I just called them by their rank, example, gold oak leaf (Lt. Colonel) and not Colonel or butter bar, 2nd Lt. not Lieutenant.

Gold oak leaf is a Major not Lt Colonel, a Lt. Colonel is a silver oak leaf.

That just goes to show ya I’ve been out for quite sometime. Thanks!!

Auto Transport Service
Back