• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Swapping a Borgeson steering box in a 1970 Charger

You mean this stuff?

Borg 99.jpg

I did use that.

Please see posts #49, #57 and #65.

I first thought that any fluid would work based on the Mopar Action tech article. I read here that some had troubles with synthetics....so I took the advice.
My 2007 Ram uses ATF+4 so I'll still use it.

Last edited:
I heard synthetic power steering fluid causes rust.
At the parts store, it seems that synthetic is the most common now. I started reading that it thins out too much for some systems to operate properly.

KD - I'm still stoked about your Borgeson box conversion. Please don't let this thread die out completely and post a 500 mile driving update so we know you're happy long term. I've got a few things to do to my car in the next month, but after that I'll be in touch for a meet up.

While out on the first drive, I stopped for some gas. After that, the car started detonating and running poorly. I'm going to pump out the gas and put in some gas from another station. I always run the highest octane available so I wonder if this station got a bad batch or if they filled the 91 tank with regular 87. I'm going to adjust the lash on the valves. The wide lash of the MP cam is getting to be annoying.

I know that in some cases, different vendors were used and designs of some things varied a bit. As long as the fit and function was the same, no problem.

Thanks Kern, The Borgeson box is on my list.Right now it is manual.After the switch to P/S then A/C for me !

You were talking about the lower column support/bearing/lack of anything there. On my 65, they used the rubber end cap, with a nylon insert in the center for the shaft, to keep it somewhat located. Over time the cap came apart leaving no support. I got a new one plus had a Delrin bushing made up to slide into the outer tube. When I get to the column, plan on rebuilding the coupler[ have a factory parts pack], so the cross pin will get knocked out and I'll slide the bushing in place. I'll lock it down with a screw, then put the new rubber end cap on.

C00091F2-CC4A-49C4-9360-41B91628E558.jpeg

18B346D2-9E70-4215-B809-D1E283ABC83C.jpeg

Nice write up KernDog.
I managed to remove my old steering box from the top by loosening the engine mounts and lift the engine as high as it would go.
After contacting Borgeson regarding the oil for the unit (since I was unable to find the ACdelco stuff you used) they told me I could use the mineral version of Dexron ATF as well.
So far so good and a hell of a difference compared to the old box, this is real firm steering.

Hey KD, did you re-fuel with fresh gas and get the motor happy? How many miles now with the new steering box? Any new insights or reports? I want to hear about things like any unique different sounds from the box or pump, hard driving in the twisty roads as far as responsive feel and confirmation of no overheating ps pump or puking fluid (check fluid after parked and cooled down and make sure).

Hey KD, did you re-fuel with fresh gas and get the motor happy? How many miles now with the new steering box? Any new insights or reports? I want to hear about things like any unique different sounds from the box or pump, hard driving in the twisty roads as far as responsive feel and confirmation of no overheating ps pump or puking fluid (check fluid after parked and cooled down and make sure).
Feel free to ask any questions. We’ve been selling these for 10 yrs now and have gone through 3 generations of these boxes.

Uhhh.....
Maybe you've been away awhile and missed this part?

Re-Rebuilding the 440-493 in a 1970 Charger

I went for a drive in my FF Stage 2 car a few days ago after a 3mo break and man that steering is irritating with the center slop. I'm 99% sure I'm following KD's lead and ordering a Borgeson Box and Bergman coupler. It seems the earlier version bugs have been worked out and the overall size and weight reduction alone is enough to get me motivated. I need to re-read KD's swap details...

Auto Transport Service
Back