• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the max length Knife

Dodge33

Local time
6:18 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone, What is the maximum length knife a person can travel with
driving through Ohio, Pennsylvania, as I will be driving alone coming to Carlisle. and this
would be the only protection I would have with me.. besides a hammer etc. I have a
gun 9mm, but I don't have a CCW permit yet to carry it with me. Thanks for all your
replies. @Dodge33

In our state it is 3 inches or less. If more than it needs to be locked up in the trunk. Each state varies based on their state laws. You might want to check with each states DMV web site. Good luck and have fun at Carlisle

Might be time to move to Texas!! Sept 1 you won't need a carry license. Legal knife length here is 5.5" and 'automatic' knives are also legal now. But, best thing to do is to contact the states you are driving through or look it up on the net. Word of mouth isn't always right. Sometimes laws change and the 'word of mouth' isn't updated.....

You can carry any size you want...just dont get caught. If you have to use it well thats another story altogether....Why you expecting trouble?

Varies from state to state. Ma is 2 1/2 inches. Just get some pepper spray.

I carry an axe handle behind the seat of my truck. Used it to get leverage tightening the belt on my alternator. Decide to keep it in the truck just in case that belt gets loose again.
:lol:

Buy a can of wasp spray, can shoot out 15 ft. Perfectly legal anywhere!
Also one of the nail guns, runs on gas cartridge

Don’t carry a knife, use a sword!

Might be time to move to Texas!! Sept 1 you won't need a carry license. Legal knife length here is 5.5" and 'automatic' knives are also legal now. But, best thing to do is to contact the states you are driving through or look it up on the net. Word of mouth isn't always right. Sometimes laws change and the 'word of mouth' isn't updated.....

Yea.. pretty nice weather there, but I cannot take that kind of heat. I was born and raised here, not very far from where I grew up, and I enjoy the four seasons we have here.. except the winters, its just because I am almost 59 yrs
old now. But we stay nice and warm in the winters, as all the buildings are heated with a Central Boiler. Thanks for the info Cranky!

Buy a can of wasp spray, can shoot out 15 ft. Perfectly legal anywhere!
Also one of the nail guns, runs on gas cartridge
Its NOT legal to Spray people with wasp spray. You can be Charged with Assault. Best advice look iy up in the states Penal code elimanates all the BS like this

Auto Transport Service
Back