• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nicest affordable places to live in the USA.

BanginGears

Local time
10:26 PM
Reaction score
Looking for low tax areas in USA. Close to International airport.
Family oriented communities with NO HOA fees.
Need garage space and acreage for nice poll barn

Southern Utah is nice...

HUGE question. Climate preferences? Usually a point of concern. Resources such as for water/utilities, health care (if in the geezer crowd or approaching)? Ironic as I’m seeing marketing ads for moving to Ohio on TV! I live in WI so I’m biased in some ways and not with others…meaning what I do and don’t like about living here. COL is nice; but among the higher taxed states. Just read an article that WI ranks in the top 25 for areas to retire (three communities in the state only one of which I’d consider moving to knowing these areas well). Friend of mine moved to Salado TX 1o years ago and loves it there. Another to Goodyear AZ liking it there too. He's in a community with a bunch of car guys making some fast buds. Summers there don't interest me. Some parts of TN are popular as my brother has been exploring places to move. Well, you should receive some nice tips on the forum from folks who live all over the US.

I just bought a place in nevada (Gardnerville) having a pole barn build now. Hour from reno. My dad did the research and i followed but many Californians are coming.
0A0B8503-FFF0-4DCC-B7E5-A1A54C54B967.jpeg
0A0B8503-FFF0-4DCC-B7E5-A1A54C54B967.jpeg

I just bought a place in nevada (Gardnerville) having a pole barn build now. Hour from reno. My dad did the research and i followed but many Californians are coming.View attachment 1269286View attachment 1269286
My Buddy just moved from G-ville to N.east Washington. Gets way more snow up there. I went south to S. NM. No snow here at least not to shovel. Lived in Reno was a small town but got to big.

Central FL could fit your bill.

...if you can handle a lot of rain and a whole lot of humidity.

Central TN, near Nashville or Knoxville maybe. I’m not a fan of Memphis but YMMV.

leadville.jpg
Climate is important to me. My genetics (Norwegian) dictate cold. I'm thinking of moving even further up in the mountains. Maybe Leadville, Colorado. Elevation 10,172 feet. It just smells so clean up there. Population 2,600.

Leadville-Ski-Joring-Snowy-Horizontal_0.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought a place in nevada (Gardnerville) having a pole barn build now. Hour from reno. My dad did the research and i followed but many Californians are coming.View attachment 1269286View attachment 1269286
Glad to see another Mopar guy here!
But I don’t recommend moving here. Turning into California east. I’m hoping to move out after i retire.

Oklahoma has a property tax rate of .87% and a maximum income tax of 5% 2 major airports and property prices aren't to bad but are rising. We have 4 seasons just like Ohio but winter is much shorter.

Oklahoma can surprise you. NE is the Ozarks and there are some small mountains. It's not all flatlands. And God Damn those Oklahoma Super Cells!

ok.jpg
osc.jpg

Don't forget the Rattlesnake Hunt!!!!

Oklahoma has a property tax rate of .87% and a maximum income tax of 5% 2 major airports and property prices aren't to bad but are rising. We have 4 seasons just like Ohio but winter is much shorter.
"Income tax"? What's that? :D

Yeah they get you guys on sales tax, yours is 7% state and Oklahoma is 4.5%
More than that, honestly - the localities can tack on more on top of that (and they ALL do).
No state income tax here though - and no "personal property" (vehicles) tax, either.
They all get ya one way or the other - TN gets you if you actually spend money (sales tax) or drive
(tags).

Auto Transport Service
Back