• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traffic "violator" school !

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
Who here besides me has taken one of these courses?
The deal is that by taking the course, the ticket/citation you were issued will not be on your driving record with the DMV. It still shows up on your Police record but not on DMV, supposedly to keep your insurance rates from rising.
I've been guilty of driving fast....more than once.
I have followed too close. I have peeled out, smoked the tires, skidded to a stop...you know, guy stuff.
I have never broken a traffic law that resulted in any collision, injury or death.
I've been driving since 1982. Since 1992, I have worked some jobs 100 miles or more away from home. It is a conservative estimate to think that I have driven MORE than 1.5 million miles.
These courses used to be held ONLY in person. You had to be there for a total of 8 hours. Nowadays I imagine nobody does that, they just take a course online.
I did that yesterday.
I am happy to say that I did learn a few things. Care to guess what they are?

I finished the course in about 2 1/2 hours. It mostly covered situations pertaining to avoiding collisions.
That was a glaring observation: The word collision. The text repeatedly stated that the California DMV is trying to move way from the term accidents and concentrate on the word Collision. Their reasoning is that accidents are avoidable while collisions are not always so.
Huh? WTF are they thinking?

wait,traffic school is online now??
lol !
whats next,taking your drivers license road test in a simulator at the dmv??!!
or even worse,at home!

I was disappointed to learn that in CA, a "person" applying for a driver license can opt for the classification of NOT Male or Female but NON binary gender.
This may have been common knowledge to 69A100 because he seems to sniff out every weird new law passed in this state. :poke:

Done it, Past few speeding tickets I’ve gotten I just pay the fine. They’ve been few and far between since I mostly drive like a grandma unless I’m on a road trip somewhere on the highway and open it up.

I've been to a few of those classes! And have done a few online since they started that! Online is so much better you get it done then watch **** till the time is up for that section!
You don't have to take a driving test here in FL anymore you take the high school class and you get to skip the test ! Wonder why we have so many accident s ! I've seen the driving course first hand when I worked for the school board ! The teacher has the kids read a book why the f off on the computer you show up to class you get an A

I went. to the "class" torture back in the 70's . Actually it wasn't so bad as the instructor had a good sense of humor. What sucked was the time it took. In recently had to take an online course due to my FLAGRANT disregard for the speed limit in Bullhead City. What a joke THAT was. I did not learn a ******* thing except what the cartoon gorilla said in each of the 5, 45minute sections!

The news media has been using the term "crash" in place of "accident" for several years.

Same reasoning was given.

I actually like "collision" better as it sounds more professional.

Now if we can just get them to explain why they use 'went missing" instead of "dissapeared".

"Went missing" sounds like they went voluntarily to me.

Last edited:
I have always used the term, "stupid" rather than, "accident".
Car crashes are usually because of someone's stupidity.
For once I agree with Kalifornia.

I did Calif. traffic school back in '03, it was 8 hours.

Last time I did traffic school was about 1992.

Had a concert across the state the night before.

I had "a plan"...

I'd just get a room at the hotel where the school was held. (genius, I thought)

Got back from the concert about 2:00 am. School was at 6:00.

Pulled into the parking lot and there's what looks like a tour bus idling.

Walked in to lobby and discovered I knew the front desk clerk.

Explained my plan and she gave me the room for free.

Asked what the deal was with the bus out front, and she said-

"It's George Jones. He's in there bothering the bar tender. If you go in he'll probably buy you a drink."

Already pretty well lit, and now at less than 4 hours potential sleep.....what could go wrong?

So I spent the next 2 hours throwing back draft beer with George Jones, acting like it was no big deal.

At 4:00 I went to my room, requesting a 5:45 wake up call- make that multiple wake up calls.

As soon as my head hit the pillow, the phone rang. Wake up call- sheesh (they said it was the fifth one).

I stumbled to the conference room, probably reeking of alcohol and looking like I had slept in my clothes (because I did) and tried not to fall asleep for the next 4.5 hours.

Told you already about the bullshit red light camera in Sacramento. Tooling through downtown early Sunday at under 25 mph in a 35 zone. Because of not enough road speed, my point of no return messed up and I did not take posession of the intersection on caution. Dropped to red as i was about to clear the crosswalk. No a ******* sole or other car around. Many hundreds plus driving school, reported to wipe out the single point. A little disclaimer said you still had to tell your insurance company. A bullshit money making scheme. They even sent me the video. Could have been titled “Dennis on vacation in Sacramento in his Coronet.

Been there, done that. Michigan online class was a waste of time too. Same as CA, went through ways to avoid a collision and general driving knowledge.

What word to they use for rolling the car, but when you don't collide with anything or anyone else ?

I've been driving "legally" since 1975 :poke:

I've done time is several of them so-called "traffic schools"
one was nothing more than a 'comedy show'
it really had nothing to do with traffic school, at all
from a ticket I got in Walnut Creek, ticket was like $180-$200
1978 or 79-ish (?)... the school was a little more IIRC
I got caught by a WCPD doing a burnout
(exhibition of speed/contest the LEO said, classic overcharge, pile-on )
leaving the cruise night from a parking lot on the end of Locust st. WC
at like 1:00am Sat. night, some guy did a lame burnout, "I had to top it" :poke:
I was heading over to Encino Grande in Concord, street racers gathering hangout...

& the ticket would have been, some 2-3 points on my license/insurance
so I chose the stupid/lame *** traffic school option

I usually just paid the fines, most of my violations
"fix it" tickets, running slicks on the street, too wide of tires,
too loud exhaust, blower or tunnel-ram sticking out the hood etc.
most weren't points added, just harassment from a couple cops
that knew me, saw or pulled me over me regularly...
Just a part of growing up, with a fast car/hotrod...
I'd have a buddies (the Beak -Jeff B.) his dad CHP Lt.
or a Sherriff that lived in the neighborhood, sign off on them...

I talked my way out of most tickets

I did another "traffic school" in Sacramento,
it was a little more traffic oriented, had a speaker & a flick
pretty-much had to attend to get the credit,
pretty much just sat in/at a desk for 6 hrs & paid $150 (?) to attend
I think it was for speeding by CHP on Hwy 50
I didn't want my insurance to go up,
so I chose to go to the lame *** school...
I had been a good boy too long, to break the trend :lol:

there were others too, mostly in my 20's early 30's
so I would NOT have to have my already high insurance,
go up, because of points values...

Last edited:
:steering: 8 hr day in DMV school, 8yrs back, $500 plus fine, kept my license, driving award with my 67.
Long *** day for sure.

"Traffic School" is nothing more than a carrot on the end of a stick revenue enhancer. I got one ticket in the last 40 years. I passed on the "offer".

Took that class so many times back in the 80's when it required one night a week for four weeks in South Carolina. The instructor asked me to fill in for him once when he was going to be out one night. Lowered my points but not my speeding

Auto Transport Service
Back